• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Intalling to an external drive

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Has anyone tried or does anyone have any pointers regarding installing Poser 11 on an External drive? Not the runtime mind you, the entire software?
What complications might I expect?
Will it be more difficult Windoze 10 as opposed to 7? Is it even possible in 10?

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Kage, any version of Poser before 12 will require the main program and runtime to be installed in Program Files with user created runtimes placed at the user's discretion. P12 and onward, do not, or will not; have this requirement to be installed in program files. Windows version is immaterial.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
The reason I am wondering is, I have in past installed to a Program Files directory that was not on my C: drive. Starting somewhere in 2007 or so, I started putting a second Program Files folder on partitions other than my C: partition so that it would not be wiped out if Windows was upgraded. This never seemed to cause an issue (Poser 4, 6, 7, Pro, 2010, 2012, 2014 and Game Dev all have been installed this way). However these were all still internal drives to the machine. Removable drives bring other issues into play.

I do not have room on this laptop for Poser... but if I install to an external I would. Given the age of this machine it is not worth trying to upgrade the internal HD either. I just want to get back to doing something while the workstation is trying to recover that HD.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Kage, any version of Poser before 12 will require the main program and runtime to be installed in Program Files with user created runtimes placed at the user's discretion. P12 and onward, do not, or will not; have this requirement to be installed in program files. Windows version is immaterial.
I actually haven't installed the main program and runtime for any version of Poser from P9 on in Program Files. I have 2 main directories on my C:\ drive, one for 2D Graphics, and one for 3D Graphics, and all my 3D graphics apps are installed that way on Win10Pro. I'm sure there are files that wind up automatically in Program Files, but I don't like having everything in Program Files. I don't have P9 installed on this newish (2 1/2 year old) laptop, but I had it installed the same way on my old Win7Pro laptop.

My Main C:\ Drive:

LaptopCDrive.jpg

My 3D Applications Directory:

Laptop3DApplications.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
No, there's nothing in the Program Files (x86) folder relating to Poser. I also checked the other Program Files folder, and there's a Smith Micro > Poser Pro 2012 folder, but it's empty. Since I didn't install Poser 9 on this laptop, I'm surprised to see it, but it is empty.

I also checked ProgramData, and there I see Poser > 11 and 12 folders. Those I would expect to see.