• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I need a course in UV Mapping

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I making some hiking boots for Pauline, and they have seams. Anyone know the best way to texture seams and stitching?
I would think the easiest way would be to do it in Photoshop (or whatever 2D graphics app you prefer), as I've seen a number of "stitching" brushes for Photoshop over at R'osity over the years. I can check my backup drive and see who the vendors are, but I'd think that would be the easiest way to get the stitching effect.

Edited to Add: OK, I just checked my purchases at R'osity, and these 3 might be of interest to you:

A Stitch in Time by -dp- (see Basic 1, Basic 2, and Basic 3 on second promo)

Stitched Trims Maker by designfera (comes with 3 Photoshop Actions and 45 fabric patterns, but can be used with any fabric you wish)

SV Stitchng Made Easy Tutorial by Sveva (a tutorial on how to add stitching using Photoshop)

Hope that helps some.

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
I haven't used GIMP in years, but just did a search and found 2 tutorials, one at brainsongimp.blogspot.com, called Making Stitches, and one at wiki.tesnexus.com called Basic textures in GIMP: Stitches. I also found a GIMP plugin that might be of interest at registry.gimp.org called Embroidery Stitcher.

I'm not sure whether I can add the actual links here, but you should be able to find them at those sites.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
With regard to stitches, I'm still trying to learn that myself, but I would definitely vote for a modelled pocket with its own material zones. That way crazy people like me won't be constrained to use your textures in order to see the pocket. I just love procedural textures...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
HAHAHAHA Earl. You will never loose that desire. I told myself "Keep it simple" "Just make textures and hair stuff" ... nope, in the midst of my Pan project for Dusk again and am moaning and groaning over the rigging and weight mapping! Me, a glutton for punishment? Pshaw! LOL

So...I'm not the only one who does silly things like that?...

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
The trick to easy stitches isn't the brushes. I'd say about 90% of stitches are pretty simple ones, so really you just need a round brush that's been made into a really thin oval, sized, and spaced to work. Even a zigzag stitch is pretty easy to make yourself. The trick is that you should have them follow a path rather than painting them by hand. It's like the difference between using a pattern and sewing by eye.

In Photoshop, this means making paths and stroking them with a brush designed to follow the path direction. And if you map your clothes well, all you need to do is outline your islands, inset your selection by x number of pixels, and create a path from that. Takes only a few clicks in Photoshop, which is why I tend to keep at least one mask layer for islands and layers with patches or embroidered bits on their own layers. I have no clue how to do any of this in GIMP, but that's my suggestion on workflow.

Oh! And give your stitches layer styles for different types of maps (diffuse/albedo, bump, displacement, etc.). You can overlay them with a texture, give them a bit of drop shadow and black "glow" for depth and all kinds of stuff. And save your styles so you can apply a default base and just tweak things like shadow size and opacity.

IMHO, the hard part isn't making one good texture. It's making several sets of good textures. I don't think I've ever been able to get faster than one whole set per day, but I tend to like layered materials with about 4 to 6 different maps per set. Well, I do for clothes, at least. It's a really good thing I'm going to be focusing on architecture.

eclark1894

Visionary
Yeah, but as it is I don't want to make clothes. i have even less interest in textures. Maybe I need to just pay somebody to texture all this crap I make.:cautious:

I'm joking, but it is a thought. A professional texture artist... hmmm!:drawing:

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Plus Laurie and Lisa are up to their eyeballs on in house stuff so yea, probably not! lol

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
I think practically everyone who isn't a pure texture artist would love to have someone else do their texturing. Modeling is pretty easy unless you're talking about hair or something else with lots of tiny bits you have to control and morph and such. Design takes time, and sims take time, but modeling is the easy part. I have literally hundreds of models I've never made into products. Some with detailed bits and complex designs. But it would take a whole bunch of time to texture all those pieces, let alone turn them products.

There was a time when I was trying to make about 2 or so images a week. I found that by far what slowed me down was textures. I could make custom clothes for images. I could make custom scenery. But texture them? That was a whole other ball of wax. The main reasons I still use 3rd party content are base figures, hair, and textures on _everything_. And I'm not bad at texturing, nor do I dislike it. It's just time consuming. I mean, just finding the right textures for certain stuff is a whole bunch of work. I've emailed fabric stores to ask them to use their sample images because absolutely _nothing_ equivalent exists anywhere I can find, for any price. Unfortunately, none of them have emailed back. I'm to the point where I basically think I'd have to buy a fabric sample and scan it myself to get the fabric textures I want. Pretty much the same goes for plain painted wood (no crackling, just something with faint brush strokes and variations) and plain painted walls. There's a whole lot of heavy duty grunge and such out there, but subtle variations? Not so much.

eclark1894

Visionary
I think practically everyone who isn't a pure texture artist would love to have someone else do their texturing. Modeling is pretty easy unless you're talking about hair or something else with lots of tiny bits you have to control and morph and such. Design takes time, and sims take time, but modeling is the easy part. I have literally hundreds of models I've never made into products. Some with detailed bits and complex designs. But it would take a whole bunch of time to texture all those pieces, let alone turn them products.
Most of the stuff I've started since posting on Hivewire is either finished or almost finished. Two things keep me from submitting them. One thing is texturing, the other is packaging. What can I say? i've got deep seated fears of rejection. I'm so damaged.:unsure:

Miss B

CV-BEE
You shouldn't Earl. Beta testers, and then QAV, would help you get them into shape.

You shouldn't Earl. Beta testers, and then QAV, would help you get them into shape.
This!
Mostly your beta's should rip your stuff apart (I just send a product back for the fourth time (a case of fix one thing but break another)), so you can fix errors before you submit it to any store.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
This!
Mostly your beta's should rip your stuff apart (I just send a product back for the fourth time (a case of fix one thing but break another)), so you can fix errors before you submit it to any store.

Yes, good beta testers means when you get to QA, everything is perfect and no further changes are necessary. You'll sail through QA with good beta testers.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, good beta testers means when you get to QA, everything is perfect and no further changes are necessary. You'll sail through QA with good beta testers.
Very true. There are times when it may take a couple of tests, depending on how large a project it is, but as Traci said, with good beta testers, it shouldn't take that long to get a product into the store.