• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I learned how to do fishnet stuff in ZBrush!

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I've been studying up on making fishnet items in ZBrush for a couple of days and I think I have it figured out.
Here is a quick fishnet (cuff, wrap, drum or whatever) experiment:

fishy1.jpg

Here is a Google image of what I want to make for Dawn with what I've learned, probably before the weekend. A simple fishnet glove similar to this for my first attempt:

fishy2.jpg

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Thanks FL. I played a bit more just now with putting the net part on the ZBrush demo soldiers hand.

fishy3.jpg

I'll probably want to make the net mesh thicker when I make it for Dawn's hands, for now I'm just testing it and learning as I go.
I have to leave it for a few hours as I need to walk Marley around the park before the wind and cold gets too bad.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I got the bulk of the work finished last night, and today I did some WIP screenshots for here. The first two is the almost finished mesh on Dawn's hand, same with the last one but with the fishnet subdivided.

fishy4.jpg

All I have to do now is to weld a few loose verts and then do the fun part - texture and displacement maps! I probably won't get to that until Sunday evening and then I'll post finished screenshots.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Thanks FL. Think I'll go to bed now. I haven't had an early night at all over the school Christmas holidays, and we go back to school on Monday! :( That's one of the reasons I want to get the fishnet method worked out asap, otherwise I'll be sitting in maths class thinking about resolving that instead of maths.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Great work, Bonnie!

I did not know that ZBrush was capable of this type of work. I created a net shirt like this about fifteen years ago in Wings3D, and it was a beast on both the software, and my available hardware at that time (so many crashes).

Very clever use of n-gons at your poles to redirect your netting.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
When you get them done, let me know and I will pass you my gloves from the Coat, hat and gloves set so you can copy the rigging from them.

Or, send me the hat and the other stuff you have done and I will rig them for you. You have enough pieces done to have a Sweet Deal of accessories done!

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Or, send me the hat and the other stuff you have done and I will rig them for you. You have enough pieces done to have a Sweet Deal of accessories done!

Thanks very much Traci. I'll wait until I have a couple more items made and send you the whole lot together.
Here is one of the gloves on Dawn's hand. I didn't texture it yet, just applied a shin black plastic for pre-vis:

fishy6.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm really, really liking the way this has turned out Bonnie. I can't wait to see what else you come up with. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Why make it with geometry? Wouldn't a transmap + normal map look the same in renders, and with a fraction of the poly count? Unless it's for the challenge of having it modeled - I sometimes like to do that too. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Looks great Bonnie! I take it as Traci's offered to do rigging this is likely to be Poser only? Looks great though...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I doubt it Traci, as I don't think my skill set is good enough for a professional product...part of the reason I haven't released any of my own stuff, but thanks for the suggestion.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Why make it with geometry? Wouldn't a transmap + normal map look the same in renders, and with a fraction of the poly count? Unless it's for the challenge of having it modeled - I sometimes like to do that too. :)

Yes it was really a challenge Ken. Transmap is easy and I wanted to do it with geometry. 11,000 points for a pair of gloves wasn't terribly high either IMHO, and I could have reduced it to around 7,000 if I tried a bit harder.