• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I can't save a smart-prop...any ideas?

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
This makes me feel pretty stupid, but here we go anyway. I am working on a dynamic blanket set for Harry the Horse (which you can check out in its own thread if you are interested), but I have run into a seemingly unsolvable glitch: I can't save it as a smart prop! I have the blanket parented to Harry's "chest 2" bone, and it moves quite nicely with him even before I run a simulation, so I know it is parented properly. However, when I go to save it as a prop in my Runtime, I am not given the option to save the prop as a smart prop; it just gets saved automatically as a "dumb" prop. I have tried using many different props and objects, but so far it isn't working. I read the Poser manual, tried to duplicate what they said, and still no results. I used to be able to save smart props all the time in Poser 9, but for some reason Poser Pro 2014 won't do it for me. I am not opposed to opening up the .pz2 file in Notepad and editing the code by hand, but I'm not sure which line(s) to tweak; I studied JavaScript, not Python.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It's the line up near the top. Of course, I'm not home ... otherwise, I'd show you which line.

Look for Parent.

I believe you'd change that to SmartParent and specify Chest2

Netherworks PoserFile Save (from RDNA) will save the prop as a Smart Prop. It will also extract the geometry so you don't have to.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Thanks, Satira. I'll look into PoserFile Save.

Regarding the manual method, I opened up two different files in Notepad: one, a prop I had saved a while back, and another, a purchased model that was smart-propped. I think I like the idea of linking to an obj file rather than embedding all the billions of numbers in the .pz2 file. Anyway, back to what I opened the file for. In the smart-propped prop, there was "smartparent hip" in my "dumb" prop, it said "parent UNIVERSE".

Is Python case-sensitive?

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't honestly know whether the poser files are case sensitive.

Content sold through HiveWire needs to have the geometry extracted and saved to an obj file, so PoserFile Save as well as Creator's Toybox (also a Neitherworks RDNA product) will save you a LOT of time and headaches.