• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How do you rig a door in Poser?

eclark1894

Visionary
Inquiring minds want to know.
I have somewhat of a general idea. But if someone could give me step by step instructions, I'd like to give it a go.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
This is how I made the doors for the Nouvelle Aube Studio and Bookcase able to open and close.

Open Poser.

Import the object your doors "attach" to.

Import the left door obj.

Switch to Top Camera and Wireframe

You will need to adjust the pivot points on the door because it will rotate on its center instead of the edge.

To adjust the upper door pivot point, open the Joint Editor (Window > Joint Editor)

Zoom in as close as you can and still see the door.

Locate the red circle in the middle of the door and drag the circle to the right rear corner. If the door moves out of position, just use the tran parameter dials to move the door back into the correct position.

Once the red circle is line up correctly, move the green circle too.

You can also copy the top set of numbers to the bottom set of numbers.

Close Joint Editor and use the yRotate parameter dial to make sure the door opens and closes correctly.

Rename the yRotate to Open
Change Min Limit to 0
Change Max Limit to 180

Parent the door to the obj they should be attached to

Import right door and repeat the previous steps.

When finished, save all three objects to the Props Library

eclark1894

Visionary
Rotating or sliding?

All the best.

Richard
You know, at the time I WAS talking about just the roatating doors, but after rechecking the floor plans a find at least two or more sliding doors as well. All these doors will be created as seperate objects and parented to the house prop. But is how do sliding doors work in a house anyway.? Aside from a few elevators, which come to think of it, I don't think the doors worked for anyway, I don't think I've ever seen them used. I'm also wondering whether or not to have movable windows, so those may slide up and down as well.

eclark1894

Visionary
This is how I made the doors for the Nouvelle Aube Studio and Bookcase able to open and close.

Open Poser.

Import the object your doors "attach" to.

Import the left door obj.

Switch to Top Camera and Wireframe

You will need to adjust the pivot points on the door because it will rotate on its center instead of the edge.

To adjust the upper door pivot point, open the Joint Editor (Window > Joint Editor)

Zoom in as close as you can and still see the door.

Locate the red circle in the middle of the door and drag the circle to the right rear corner. If the door moves out of position, just use the tran parameter dials to move the door back into the correct position.

Once the red circle is line up correctly, move the green circle too.

You can also copy the top set of numbers to the bottom set of numbers.

Close Joint Editor and use the yRotate parameter dial to make sure the door opens and closes correctly.

Rename the yRotate to Open
Change Min Limit to 0
Change Max Limit to 180

Parent the door to the obj they should be attached to

Import right door and repeat the previous steps.

When finished, save all three objects to the Props Library
Well, i didn't exactly follow your advice, I followed Dr. Geep's, but it seems the result is the same. There is just one problem, though. Is there no way to save this as a ONE piece prop with movable doors, like a car?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I would think so Earl...most ones that are one item it shows in the parameters tab as a rotation.

Could you smart prop the oven door to the oven?

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I saved my bookcase and studio as props, with the bookcase doors parented to bookcase and the studio doors parented to the front wall. I'm sorry ... I just don't remember exactly how I accomplished that. But it may be that was done by saving with Netherworks PoserFile Assistant.

This is one way to create a figure with moveable parts: How to Rig a Poser Prop.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay having another issue. I don't know why or what I'm doing differently, but last time, I moved the center point or axis of the door around at will. Now i I can't budge it without the whole door moving.