• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How do you have your RunTimes organized?

3DcgX

Admirable
I'm curious how everyone has their runtime organized, I have my runtime separated by figures I have one for Aiko 3 and One for Nearme and another mixed with everything. How do you have yours organized?

I also inject my clothing with MORCLOTH to make them better fit.

Various Figure Runtimes, eg V4 with A4 as subfolder etc. or M4 with H4 (aka the ones that have enough stuff to have a runtime on their own); Animals Runtime (separated by both vendor (some) and store (mainly - has subfolders for species); Hair Runtime (sorted by either store or vendor); Environment Runtime (split into full environments, plants, buildings with subfolders for all of them); Toon Runtime separated into subfolders by name eg Gumdrops, NearMe etc, all with subfolders; Standalone Figures Runtime (you'll find Dawn, Dusk and some others in here); all on a separate HDD dedicated to Runtimes only; a TEST runtime on another HDD to install temporary needed stuff.

3DcgX

Admirable
Various Figure Runtimes, eg V4 with A4 as subfolder etc. or M4 with H4 (aka the ones that have enough stuff to have a runtime on their own); Animals Runtime (separated by both vendor (some) and store (mainly - has subfolders for species); Hair Runtime (sorted by either store or vendor); Environment Runtime (split into full environments, plants, buildings with subfolders for all of them); Toon Runtime separated into subfolders by name eg Gumdrops, NearMe etc, all with subfolders; Standalone Figures Runtime (you'll find Dawn, Dusk and some others in here); all on a separate HDD dedicated to Runtimes only; a TEST runtime on another HDD to install temporary needed stuff.

Oh you have them well, this is my Goal to reorganized everything like that.

robert952

Brilliant
What is this strange word: or gun eyzed?
Where is the challenge in that?
I do a modified DAZ breadcrumb trail when it makes sense. (Vehicle/Land/Jeep/All files related to Jeep.)
Many times I use my own interpretation, they may call it Prop or Furniture... I'll create a Prop/Kitchen or Furniture/Chairs_Sofas
I will edit name to ident the base model if such doesn't show... ex Hair/Finlay G2M G3M
Figures, morphs and such by figure.
These are all in my own folder not the DAZ folder
I don't differentiate by vendor. An interesting concept.

3DcgX

Admirable
What is this strange word: or gun eyzed?
Where is the challenge in that?
I do a modified DAZ breadcrumb trail when it makes sense. (Vehicle/Land/Jeep/All files related to Jeep.)
Many times I use my own interpretation, they may call it Prop or Furniture... I'll create a Prop/Kitchen or Furniture/Chairs_Sofas
I will edit name to ident the base model if such doesn't show... ex Hair/Finlay G2M G3M
Figures, morphs and such by figure.
These are all in my own folder not the DAZ folder
I don't differentiate by vendor. An interesting concept.

How interesting how DAZ organize things, in Carrara is the same as poser except there is no camera or light folder.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Figures, Architecture (which includes vehicles), and Nature (plants, trees, flowers)

Figures is then further separated, for example:

upload_2019-1-25_18-27-39.png

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't change how DIM installs things so all Daz store items go into the default Daz runtime, I do have separate runtimes for other stores (eg: I have a HW runtime etc) and a Freebies runtime and I have separate runtimes for items I test (they get deleted when I receive official store zips then gets placed in the appropriate store runtimes I've created. :p

I'm not very organised LOL

3DcgX

Admirable
I don't change how DIM installs things so all Daz store items go into the default Daz runtime, I do have separate runtimes for other stores (eg: I have a HW runtime etc) and a Freebies runtime and I have separate runtimes for items I test (they get deleted when I receive official store zips then gets placed in the appropriate store runtimes I've created. :p

I'm not very organised LOL
You are not alone I’m very disorganized too but I’m working on it with this thread tips.

Oh you have them well, this is my Goal to reorganized everything like that.

They get even more specific in the subfolders. For example each Figure runtime has a subfolder Clothes; in it you'll find more general subfolders depending on style eg Steampunk and then this folder has all the different Steampunk outfits under their name. The Hair runtime is mainly sorted by Vendors as I do have many vendors of whom I own most of their stuff and I usually can't remember the name of the hairstyle but know the vendor. Animals are usually sorted by store with subfolders for species like dragons etc. Though there are too some vendor folders, aka the ones I have tons of their stuff from and their work would get split over stores and species subfolders; it's easier to have them under the vendor name.

I usually install into an empty runtime and then move it around to my preferred folders/system.

3DcgX

Admirable
They get even more specific in the subfolders. For example each Figure runtime has a subfolder Clothes; in it you'll find more general subfolders depending on style eg Steampunk and then this folder has all the different Steampunk outfits under their name. The Hair runtime is mainly sorted by Vendors as I do have many vendors of whom I own most of their stuff and I usually can't remember the name of the hairstyle but know the vendor. Animals are usually sorted by store with subfolders for species like dragons etc. Though there are too some vendor folders, aka the ones I have tons of their stuff from and their work would get split over stores and species subfolders; it's easier to have them under the vendor name.

I usually install into an empty runtime and then move it around to my preferred folders/system.
Good idea thanks for sharing that

English Bob

Adventurous
In my own Special Way. :D I won't bore you with the details since I can't imagine anyone else would want to adopt my method, but the point is that there's a lot of flexibility available and everyone should be able to find something that suits them. The downside is that false starts are inevitable - I've recently started playing with DAZ Studio, and I'm just chucking everything into the library using whatever structure the individual creator used. I know I'll regret this if I ever end up using DAZ seriously, but for now I don't know enough to devise my own organisation.

3DcgX

Admirable
If Carrara has the choice of a search feature within runtimes tab, I wouldn’t bother organizing.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
On a Mac I never ever used the DAZ installers preferring to hand install stuff in adherance to my format layout.
When I lose something I just the Mac Finder app to locate it and put it where it belongs!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've always manually installed content to either DS (2,3 & 4), and Poser (7, 9 and 11Pro). I've only used the DAZ Install Manager to download items when I was still purchasing regularly from their store. I like being able to set up downloading of several files at once, rather than having to download each one separately, but I'm very fussy about where the product files are installed, so refuse to use DIM to do so, or just dropping the contents of a Poser related zip file on my Poser Runtime folders through Windows Explorer.

3DcgX

Admirable
I remember there was this poser python script that helps with ease search and organized stuff is anyone can help me remember it I would appreciate.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
How interesting how DAZ organize things, in Carrara is the same as poser except there is no camera or light folder.

well, not really correct.. there is if you tick reveal hidden folders.

but this just shows the folders and sub folders but not much more. ;)

upload_2019-1-28_11-33-24.png