• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How do I make one part of figure move in rigging

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I made a nice music box and would like for the top part (outer base) to rotate or spin.
How do I do that?
I know you do it in the set up room but once in there I am lost.
It is beyond my understanding how to add bones, name them and give movement to them.

Can someone explain, the manual did not help.

Thanks

Me195

Extraordinary
Explains it better than I could. I'm sure the poser users a lot smarter than me will chime in. Until then I hope the video helps.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I will watch it fully soon, had uploads going.
Do wish it had CC or text explanation a sI can't hear it.

Thank you for the link. :)

English Bob

Adventurous
If the moving parts are hard-edged mechanical items, you can 'cheat' by making the parts as separate props and parenting them together. The most you might have to do is change the joint centers to match a pivot, but in the case of your musical box, if the rotating part is symmetrical, chances are it will be in the right place anyway.

(I use the word cheat because some stores don't like you selling props done like this: but I've bought things that worked this way in the past, so it isn't a universal ban. If the item's for sale, you'd want to tidy up the dials so only the useful ones were visible.)

Me195

Extraordinary
That's a great video, thanks for posting it for us.

You're Welcome.

I will watch it fully soon, had uploads going.
Do wish it had CC or text explanation a sI can't hear it.

Thank you for the link. :)

Unfortunately that video doesn't come with caption natively. However youtube has a closed captioning system that will generate captions for it. Normally that function doesn't work too well, but I tried it for this video. Mark Bremmer(or however you spell his last name) speaks very clearly so the captions worked very well. Maybe you should give it a try and hopefully it will make the video easier to understand.
youtube.jpg

I hope this helps.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Just to say, you don't actually need to "rig" stuff like that, so to speak. You just need to set up the centers (Window > Joint Editor). And turn off bending for parts. You can then hide the relevant dials. For instance, a ballerina in a box would rotate only on the y axis. I haven't done it in a bit, so I forget the details. While I've never done anything significant with bones and the Setup Room, though, I've rigged parts of a few products using just the Joint Editor in the Pose Room.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Everything is great except creating UV maps...sigh.
I have UV Mapper but for the first time since I've been using it (many years) it won't load separate materials. :(
It would help if I could get it mapped before it drives me stark raving mad. :roflmao:

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Uvmapper loads separated materials. ..but you need the mtl file to load them ,once you save the model again from the program the mtl is not needed.