• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Hivewire Website Trojan?!

BMK

Inspired
I'm trying to access the Hivewire Website, but my virusscanner (Kaspers ky) won't let me. I get a warning about a trojan trying to download.

hivetrojan.JPG

Now, while I don't think that HW website does such things, I still can't access the website, and I would like to make sure that there is indeed no threat before I tell the virus scanner to no longer check HW website in the future.
I get no such problem accessing the forum website of HW, just the webstore.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Just posting to say that Opera is blocking me from the store as well. It says that Yandex has reported a problem.

Riccardo

Adventurous
Same here. Opera browser says that the site is dangerous and continuing to it would probably be a bad idea.
Firefox doesn't bother at all and renders the site, though.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Thanks - we have been made aware of some false positive reports at the store from both Kaspersky (we have already written to them but have not heard anything back) and Opera, and are trying to pin down what's causing it and get the issues resolved.

This tool at TrendMicro tells us the site is safe:

Trend Micro Site Safety Center

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have contacted Kaspersky, and they have been very responsive. They have called me back immediately and after I explained the issues, they have elevated the ticket to Tier 2, and also sent the report to their virus analysis department. I am awaiting them to call me back with the results. I gave them Lisa's email for contacting the HW staff directly if needed. So far they have identified an "iframe" that seems to be the culprit in this issue, but it seems like it will need a closer examination.

For the record, Check Point ZoneAlarm firewall is also blocking the store, so it's not just Kaspersky. I am trying to get this resolved ASAP so the store access gets normalized again. I believe if Kaspersky can identify the issue, it should also resolve the false positives from other software as well.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK, just confirming that Firefox doesn't have a problem with the store, but Opera is giving me a warning. I don't use my Opera browser regularly, so hadn't noticed this before.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It's important to know that this is not caused by any web browser in particular, but instead by web security programs and plugins. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
If that were the case Ken, why does one of my browsers warn me, and the other one doesn't?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Might be some built-in security plugin. For example, Firefox and Edge browsers have their own web security filters that can block some sites depending on the settings. They can be used to filter other things, such as JavaScript and Flash contents.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I did the Trend check thing on the store's url...but my IE11, and my AVG got no warnings... I shopped last night and again just now... and virus checked the items I bought right after download (I get a thing that runs a security scan in/after the download function/action itself) and once unzipped again... all seems well to me... :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I also think it should be alright. It's just some web security solutions are more strict and overzealous than others. For example, Kaspersky Anti-Virus can detect and eliminate many more web attacks than any other program I have tried before. Historically, Kaspersky has been the one to detect new dangerous virus before others even know they are there.

I started with Norton Anti-Virus, up to the point where the program itself got infected and was being used to spread the virus it was supposed to protect me from. Kaspersky runs on a virtual machine, so it cannot be infected. I have been using KAS for over a decade, and my computers were never infected ever since.

But heuristic detection has a flaw - I can lead to false positives, which I think is the case here. I have contacted them, and now I am waiting for their analysis results.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I used one version or another of Norton ever since my first DOS computer, but had to give it up on my last laptop because it was blocking accessing to a site I needed daily access to. I couldn't even make purchases at the site, unless I turned Norton off, and that just annoyed me to no end. I switched to Avira, and used it for several years, until that laptop was no longer usable.

This laptop came with Norton 360, and so far, so good. I also use Spybot Search & Destory, as well as Malwarebytes, regularly.

I do remember reading a lot of articles over the years about one virus or another being detected by Kaspersky, so yes, I trust them, but have never tried their antiviral software.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
It's important to know that this is not caused by any web browser in particular, but instead by web security programs and plugins. :)

Not exactly. Opera the browser (even without plugins) has the site blocked, because Yandex (which seems to be the Russian equivalent of Google, among other things) reported that it has a trojan. Firefox blocks my access to sites that Google has flagged in the same way. My guess is that it is a browser difference, and the difference is that Firefox only looks at Google and possibly other American indexes for information about sites.

So it's not just about our personal software. It's about a search engine/indexer saying that the HiveWire site is dangerous. Which is kind of a larger issue, depending on how you look at it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I can access the store with Firefox if I disable the Kaspersky web security module, and I don't use Google as my search engine. :)

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Just found this thread.
I have Firefox and ESET NOD32. My virusscanner gave a warning when visiting the site but didn't block me.
So it's a bit of a mystery to me.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Opera was flagging most sites I visit so I went in to settings and disabled the warnings.
My virus program watches my web stuff for me so browsers don't need to.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yes, a colleague of mine got me away from Google as my default search engine as well.

It sort of bugs me that whatever I search with Google haunts me everywhere I go with ads. They spy on us and then try to sell it back to us. That has stopped since I switched to DuckDuckGo.com, which does exactly the same as Google, but doesn't spy on us. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I always hated seeing the stupid ads all the time. I've been using Startpage.com for about 6 months now.