• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HiveWire to support Poser Pro 11.2 and DAZ Studio 4.12 and above

Hornet3d

Wise
I once had no internet for over a year (financial problems). I've had power outtages of more than a week (storms took the lines down). Something that calls home and then turns off the software, especially at that price!, is a no go for my use. Glad I found that out before scraping enough together to purchase this. I'll wait until it's an older piece of software that they're willing to give away for $25 or thereabouts. (Which is how I got Poser 9 and Poser 10...for about $25 each.)

Your type of situation was one raised more than once by discontented users when the procedure was introduced. It was original discovered by a small company that had five or six computers running Poser that were isolated from the Internet for security purposes. They had used Poser for years and did not think twice when they upgraded to Game Dev, the rest, as they say, is history.

It was suggested in another forum that people should be given a free copy of Poser 11.2 but, as shown here, even that would not be acceptable for some user and for very valid reasons. It does complicate matters but for Hivewire 3D to support a version of Poser that is clearly going nowhere makes life difficult, not only for HiveWire but vendors as well. It makes life a lot harder at a time when they are already trying to get their head round new features and the end result may well be they join the ranks for those developing for DS only. If that comes to pass then all Poser users suffer irrespective of which version they are using.

Bondware may change the situation although that is more a hope on my part rather than an expectation. In the meantime the complication caused by this lays at the door of SM and not HiveWire.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
If you have a version older than 2014 for Poser, Hivewire will not support it. If you have a version 2014 and later, i.e. Game Dev, Poser 11. Poser 11.2, they will support it.
er, no. We are supporting Poser 11.2 and above ONLY - not PP2014, not Game Dev, Not Poser 11.0 or 11.1

as noted in the first post
HiveWire has reached a point where we feel we need to move to creating for and supporting Poser Pro 11.2 Pro+ and DAZ Studio 4.12+.

Hornet3d

Wise
er, no. We are supporting Poser 11.2 and above ONLY - not PP2014, not Game Dev, Not Poser 11.0 or 11.1

as noted in the first post
HiveWire has reached a point where we feel we need to move to creating for and supporting Poser Pro 11.2 Pro+ and DAZ Studio 4.12+.

Which would make sense as Poser 2014, Game Dev, Poser 11 and 11.1 are frozen. It looks as though all but Poser 2014 will cease to exist as it looks as though even an extended license will still fail eventually. That leaves the choices to a free update to 11.2, sticking with a version before Game Dev or moving on the DS or something other than Poser. That has to be the individual's choice but HiveWire need to make business decisions to ensure they stay around and continue to provide first class figures and try to ensure they the are supported by vendors. I really do not see an issue.

Kerya

Brilliant
Edited ... sorry, should have read the rest of the thread first.

As for
By the way, there is supposed to be an option to have a permanent licencing so Poser won't have to phone home. You'd have to talk to Renderosity about that, though.

No - Smith Micro had a permanent license option. Bondware doesn't. They have the option to lengthen the time until Poser phones home (and you have to send them a message pleading your case to get it), but no permanent license.

Kerya

Brilliant
Sorry, I had no intention of starting a conversation like that. I really WAS confused about PP2014 being supported or not. SORRY! :oops:

Hornet3d

Wise
Sorry, I had no intention of starting a conversation like that. I really WAS confused about PP2014 being supported or not. SORRY! :oops:

To be honest I do not see any need for you to apologise, there was some confusion and this was the correct place to raise the concern. At any other time the confusion would have been clarified with very little issue but the Poser world is a little fragile at the moment. Over at Rendo you can see the concerns with where Poser is and where it is going and annoyance with the phone home procedure. It would have happened with the sale of Poser no matter who purchased it as it would have resulted in a forced change to some users and many people do not like change. For all that what Bondware/Rendo has done and is doing with Poser will impact the HiveWire going forward and they are doing their best to position HiveWire in the best possible place to support Poser now and for the future. Trying to understand those changes and how it affects your use and buying strategy is nothing that needs an apology.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Kerya, As Hornet said, you have nothing to apologize for!

No - Smith Micro had a permanent license option. Bondware doesn't. They have the option to lengthen the time until Poser phones home (and you have to send them a message pleading your case to get it), but no permanent license.

Hmmm...I thought that they did - I must have misunderstood that. I dislike the phone home requirement, too (though not as much as subscription products :)), and hope that Bondware will reconsider it.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I dislike the phone home requirement, too (though not as much as subscription products
Personally, I avoid software with either characteristic. (Low/uneven income and dicey connections do not combine well with either.)