• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HiveWire Dawn SF fix?

NG Artplay

Eager
Contributing Artist
Can we please get HiveWire to make a free SuperFly base skin update for Dawn? I'm having a tough time making promos. I'm using EZskin but it's not looking how I want in SF. If we want Dawn to sell and our products to sell they have to look great in promos.

...or maybe someone has some tips for me. I'm about to render promos only in Iray.

I'm not trying to be a pest but just as a for-instance RDNA made a free Iray eye mat for Star! because it wouldn't render properly in Iray. I'd like to see that kind of support for Dawn.

The reason I'm asking is that both of my testers don't render in SuperFly because Dawn SE renders black and Dawn renders white. My outfit was made for Iray and SuperFly. I'll lose half of my sales just because there's no base skin for Dawn for SF.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
These are the default/standard lights in Poser 11 and the default skins that load with Dawn and DawnSE converted with EZskin3. (I didn't bother with a Superfly render without conversion, as you know they don't work as the skins aren't optimised for SF.)

I don't know how to set up for Superfly yet (haven't needed to look into it) but what isn't looking right for you in SF with the EZskin conversion?
Dawn Firefly default.jpg Dawn Firefly Ezskin3.jpg Dawn Superfly Ezskin3.jpg
DawnSE Firefly default.jpg DawnSE Firefly Ezskin3.jpg DawnSE Superfly Ezskin3.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
What I have done, Nancy, is apply EZSkin3 then save the figure as DawnSF, for Superfly.

You could also load DawnSE, apply EZSkin3 and save the materials (I use MatWriter Panel) as DawnSE-Superfly materials only.

NG Artplay

Eager
Contributing Artist
I have saved out Dawn SE with EZskin but now I'm wondering if I used EZskin 2 or 3. I thought that she looked too shiny and her bump is a bit like a granite node would look if you get extremely close up. I want that soft Iray look that you get in DS. It should be possible in Poser. I'm going to update my EZskin and see if it looks better. Thank you both :) ...and Rae, your pics look good. Maybe it's my lighting too. I try different ones.

As I write this, someone just shared with me a link to Poser node setup for rendering in SF and it's looking great. It's a freebie found at another store so don't know if I can share it here. Thank you M.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It could be the difference between 2 & 3 conversion (I think 3 was optimised for SF??)

It would be nice to have DawnSE updated (pretty sure they could use the same settings they did for the new Dusk if he has SF, just might have to bump the gloss on the lipstick options).

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Although I've never had a hard time converting over my Dawn materials to use in SF, it would be nice to have an official SF version. Actually a while back I save a copy of Dawn with a SF comparable skin to my library, just so I could easily load her. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to update the base figure to work with Superfly. I think it would actually be a big plus for getting new people interested in Dawn.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Somebody said it was rather easy to fix the default DawnSE materials to work with SF. I am running tired of the default DawnSE materials turning black in renders. It's just a blinn node that is incompatible, but I don't know how to fix it. Is there an explanation on how to fix it somewhere here?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
WOW, I never knew it was the Blinn node that caused that. I just tried it, and sure enough, when I disconnected it from the 2nd Value of the Color Math node, it automatically made her head white. Of course, that's not the color it should be either, but I don't know what proper skin tone color to use. Hmmmmm . . . now I'm going to have to see what EZSkin 3 does to fix it.

Oh, and I also changed the second value in the Blender node that's attached to the 1st Value of the Color Math node from black to pale grey, and that too turned her head white. This is definitely getting interesting.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't know what a blinn node is Ken, but if you have EZskin3, give that a go and look at the mats, you might be able to work it out that way. I like how it does the skin in SF (a bit shiny sometimes).

Edit to add: I cross posted with Miss B :p

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes Rae, I've been playing with EZSkin 3 to see what the differences are, and it's just confusing because it isn't necessarily a CyclesSurface node, but a second PoserSurface node with a different setup of nodes attached. I tried copy/paste to a new load of Dawn, but her face was white, so I must've missed a couple of nodes when copying.

BTW, Rae, Blinn is one of the Lighting/Specular nodes that can be used. I'm not crazy about it or Glossy, but I don't think the Anisotropic node I usually use for shine on lips and fingernails will work on a character skin. This should be a real learning process.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks Miss B, all those node things do my head in, I'm much happier in Iray (can't work out 3DL either!)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I found you can still use Blinn. Just not for Alternate_Diffuse.

I left the Bump nodes alone.

Diffuse_Color I plugged into the Color Map (since the value is 0, no sense in using all those other nodes)

I then majorly simplified the Alternate_Diffuse to just Scatter, HSV, and the texture map, removing any of the nodes that set up specular.

Node: Superfly doesn't like the HSV to Scatter connection, so I now use a Scatter to HSV connection, which is what I did here with SE's skin.

Then I used the Blinn, Component (which connects to the Color Map), and Turbulence nodes for the Alternate_Specular.

upload_2017-12-20_22-41-42.png

I used the same setup for the Lips, but left everything else default SE

upload_2017-12-20_22-48-55.png

It's not perfect by any means. But at least it now looks like a texture!

Miss B

CV-BEE
You know, I saw those nodes and wondered how they could be adjusted. I'm definitely going to have to play with what you show here, and see how it works.

Thanks for posting the screenshot Satira.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
You can use Blinn (and any other Lighting nodes) just not before the Math nodes.
Will later today put a very basic scaffold here.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
By the way, DuskSE has very simple (a bit too simple for my taste) SF-friendly skin.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Well, this is simple (;)) generic 2-lobe SuperFly skin. Without procedural enhancements (micropores), fancy rough fresnel approximations, and with only one SSS node.
Rendered in construct with 1 inf. light @40 samples PT.
DawnSe Simple 2lobe.png DawnSe Simple 2lobe shader.png
It is not production ready and only starting point.
First adjustment points:
  • Bumps. Overall intensity (distance) and/or different bump intensity for different layers.
  • SSS Radiuses. Overall impression of the skin is born here. Thick or thin, pale or dark, translucent or opaque... Values are slightly inconsistent now. And the lips here has the same values as the skin, which is not right.
  • SSS mask. (Image Map 4 here, brow mask from Dawn materials.)
mt5 attached.

Attachments

• DawnSE generic 2lobe.mt5.txt
    27.1 KB · Views: 216