• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Hivers in the path of Harvey?

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Still raining. Almost constant. Forecast shows it will continue for at least a couple more days. Interesting time to say the least. The nearest town has become an island. Because of local rivers, bayous and creeks there are a lot of little islands. It's predicted that it could be weeks before all roads are passable. Local grocery stores are pretty much empty (I wanted to start a diet anyway). Power's still on for us, which makes it all a bit more bearable. Not the worst flooding the Houston area has ever seen (1935 the water level at Buffalo Bayou in Houston was about 16 feet higher during a large area flood), but the area affected is pretty unprecedented.

We are well. Thanks again for all your concern.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Interesting times, indeed. What a mess! Hope you're well stocked on anything you need, and that the power stays on (always a pain when it's out!)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I just can't imagine being flooded in. Bad enough those times when we've been snowed in. But flooding is something completely different. Especially, with sewers overflowing /shudder
We haven't had overflowing sewers in the neighborhood for a few years, but I can remember when we had really bad rains after most of the leaves had fallen off the trees. Luckily most of the buildings around here now have leaf blowers, so the leaves don't accumulate in or around the sewers any more.

David, glad to hear you guys are doing OK. I read an article in the NY Times today where they did a comparison between Harvey and Katrina listing the similarities, and the differences.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Rain is finally moving off,so for us the worst is over. We might be able to get into town in a day or two. Thank you all again for your concern and encouragement.

Good news, David!

Harvey's remnants moved in over us yesterday in Georgia. Last night we experienced 0.75 inches of rain per hour, so Harvey is still packing a punch. Rained all night. Today's forecast calls for the possibility of tornadoes spinning off as it moves through.

It's actually amazing that Harvey is still packing such a punch, but happy to take a little bit of rain and severe weather instead of Texas!!!

Now the hard part begins for Texas - the aftermath and cleanup. There's still so much danger for you guys - and that chemical plant that is about to explode!!!!!!!

Hornet3d

Wise
Rain is finally moving off,so for us the worst is over. We might be able to get into town in a day or two. Thank you all again for your concern and encouragement.

Thank goodness your are safe and hopefully things will begin to get better. I feel so much for all of those that have been impacted, particularly those that have lost everything but the clothes the and wearing. No words can really describe just how horrendous that much be. I hope life will improve for them all in time.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Glad things are looking up for you, David - as others have said, I know there's so much for all involved to deal with for a long time to come.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
The water is receding quickly. Funny thing, after the several days of dismal rain and no sunshine, today is the most beautiful day we've had in a long time. It's almost like Spring.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
wow.... that's a lot of water..

same is happening as monsoon rains cause havoc in India, Nepal, Bangladesh where over 1,200 people have died and has affected over 40 million people.. In Bangladesh it's reported two-thirds of the country was under water.

that is a lot of water!

Hornet3d

Wise
wow.... that's a lot of water..

same is happening as monsoon rains cause havoc in India, Nepal, Bangladesh where over 1,200 people have died and has affected over 40 million people.. In Bangladesh it's reported two-thirds of the country was under water.

that is a lot of water!

The big worry for me is this may be only the beginning as we continue to chop down trees and build on wet lands and flood plains. We do the same in the UK, build on flood plains, the developers take their money and run and then some years later, surprise, surprise the homes are flooded. It is the owners left to try and rebuild their life and now discover their insurance is either extremely expensive or their homes are un-insurable and they cannot sell the homes as no one will buy. By which time the developers have moved on and are building in yet more flood areas. The politicians are not blameless either as they bend the planning laws to make it easier to do so.

OK rant over, but I do feel so bad for those in this situation no matter where they happen to live.