• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Help making content spaceship frigate product

I use Hexagon 2.5 and as it is I don't have access to a group boolean union function in my program to make my primative modeled designs unimesh in order to UV map them and paint and texture them. One example is this ship that I would like help with in group boolean union welding all the obj groups into a single unimesh group. If anyone can point me in the direction of a relatively cheap program to group boolean union weld my figure, or would prefer I pay a fee for the service, post here. Here is the design in question:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I haven't used Hex in a long time. I believe that Blender could probably do it as someone was using it to weld clothing together but I'm not good with Blender as it makes my brain melt! Hopefully Earl or Miss B who know more than I do will pop into the thread.

Szark

Awesome
If you are making content to use in Poser or DS the advice I have seen over the years is to avoid any Boolean processes

ArtisanS

Contributing Artist
Blender can do it but I doubt you would be happy with the result. The trick in this is using extrusions to for the parts of the spaceship. And even then hard object modelling needs support loops by the dozen in orde to get tight shading edges and plains. I use Blender as my content creation tool, since my brain had already melted during long night coding sessions in a former life (watch my thread on Show Me the Honey), and I use Blender and an fantastic add-on called HardOps. It can take some stress out of booleans but even that can't take all stress away You have to check for loose ends by the dozen and remove them all. On thing though, you only have to model half a ship the rest can be mirrored.....

But why would you like to turn them into a unimesh in the first place. I export a set of loose objects from Blender into DAZ and they turn into a single object....unimeshes are great for making 3D prints (there you have to be watertight/manifold) but for 3D visuals that is not the case as long as you do not have inside and parallel plaines.

Greets, Ed.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
First of all, you don't need to Boolean-join the parts to be able to UV map them as one object. As a matter of fact, you should avoid Boolean operations as much as possible, because they are known for creating the worst kind of geometry you can get, that tend to be difficult to fix later on.

Instead, just attach the parts together to make a single object. It would only make sense to join the parts together if they would be animated on an organic model, but this is not the case here. In 3DSMAX, the operation is called "attach", but in other programs they use different names. For example, some programs consider "attach" as a simple link or parenting, which is not what you want. I don't know what the operation might be called in Hexagon, but I am sure it is there.

Once you attach all parts together, give each of them a different material ID, so they can be customized with different materials in Poser or DS. Once the parts are attached, or whatever name is used for the operation in Hexagon, you can UV map the entire model as a single object.

Hope it helps. ^^

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I haven't used Hex in a long time. I believe that Blender could probably do it as someone was using it to weld clothing together but I'm not good with Blender as it makes my brain melt! Hopefully Earl or Miss B who know more than I do will pop into the thread.
Yes there's a method you can use in Blender which will "Join" all the objects so you would get 1 UV Map of all the pieces. The attached screenshot shows you a cube and a plane, which in Blender, by default, are two separate pieces, but by selecting them both in Object mode (the Join isn't available in Edit mode), you can join them together so they still appear as separate pieces, but the UV Editor shows them as separate pieces all in one UV Map.

BlenderJoinForOneUVMap.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
In 3DSMAX 2016, we don't need to join/attach objects to be able to work with them as a single object anymore. All we need to do is to select the parts we want, and open the UV tool, and they will be considered as part of the same object, even if they are not.

But the important thing is that you should not use Boolean operations to join the parts together. That would probably be the worst you could do because it will mess up the geometry quality, making a mess out of it. I am pretty sure can do merge the parts into a single mesh in Hexagon, but I don't know what the operation is called in that particular software. Every program calls it a different name. ;p

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure there is Ken...I used to use Hexagon a lot before learning Zbrush and don't remember seeing anything that would do that. I agree with artisan that to have it in one piece it's often better to use extrusion which Hex does do very well

Miss B

CV-BEE
In 3DSMAX 2016, we don't need to join/attach objects to be able to work with them as a single object anymore. All we need to do is to select the parts we want, and open the UV tool, and they will be considered as part of the same object, even if they are not.
That's a nice feature. Unfortunately in Blender, if you select one object, and then hold Shift and select another object, it automatically takes you to Object mode, and you can't access the UV Editor except in Edit mode, so using the Join option is the only way to do it in Blender.

There is a way to join them by Bridging Edge Loops, but then you're adding polys to the weight of the object, and the poly count on NightmareHero's project would wind up quite a bit higher.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Does that mean we cannot merge objects in Blender unless they physically intersect?

Miss B

CV-BEE
The plane and cube primitives in the screenshot I posted above aren't physically intersecting. The plane is above the cube. By using the Join function, however, it shows up as one single object in the scene list, and UV Unwraps as a single object. They are not touching.

Using the Bridge Edge Loops method however, does physically join them, and that will add to the poly count, and requires a different unwrap method. Blender has several choices. See the following screenshot to see what I'm talking about. These are 2 separate/different methods, but I think the first one, using the Join option, would be more beneficial considering the complexity of the model.

BlenderBridgingEdgeLoops.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh OK. I've never played with 3DSMax, so didn't know what it has that's comparable. ;)

I do have a 3yr. educational license for Maya, and I really should get my act together and play with it. I always wanted to own it, but couldn't afford such a costly piece of software. At least now I can "play" in it, and who knows, I may actually create something with it. :D

Miss B

CV-BEE
Should be for what it cost. ;)

I got a set of 6 video tutorials explaining the menus. Interesting to say the least. I can't think of any other app, in any genre, with such a detailed menu system.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh I see, it's like the "attach" from MAX then. :)
I just remembered, Silo also has something like this called (IIRC) Bridge. I've only used it once when I was attaching the rounded top onto a sword pummel.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
In most 3D applications, bridging means connecting edges from one piece to another by creating new faces, but only if the number of edges coincides in both ends.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, that makes sense. I can't imagine it working if both edge loops weren't of the same amount.

Morkonan

Inspired
I use Hexagon 2.5 and as it is I don't have access to a group boolean union function in my program to make my primative modeled designs unimesh in order to UV map them and paint and texture them. One example is this ship that I would like help with in group boolean union welding all the obj groups into a single unimesh group. If anyone can point me in the direction of a relatively cheap program to group boolean union weld my figure, or would prefer I pay a fee for the service, post here. Here is the design in question:

1) Booleans are evil. They are the nuclear-bomb of 3D modeling. When used, they are certainly not good for much beyond very simple intersections. In any case, there's always "clean-up" work to do and the more complex the shape, the more clean-up is required. Do not use them willingly but, instead, practice a lot with them so you know exactly how limited they are in your chosen app. :)

2) It is almost certain you will not get a satisfactory result by UV'ing that object as one object group. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but I'm just making an assumption of how much work/skill/effort would be required and weighing that against what I think you will be willing/able to easily do.

3) Instead, what you should do, considering the construction, is map each group in that object separately, in a logical manner, and then manipulate those UVs in your program of choice until they are logically arranged. Assign material groups to help you organize your texture set, if there is more than one texture map.

Here's an example: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

There are four individual, non-contiguous (unconnected) bits of geometry, here. A Cabin, a wing, and two Engines. Each was UV mapped separately. The Cabin and Wings were UVMapped using an easy Box "Projection Map", since they're basically boxes, and in that map, each "side" that overlapped an opposing side, relative to a cardinal direction, got stacked on top of the map for that side. Basically - They share the same UV space, so they will share the same textures. You don't have to do it like that, but it's a quick, easy, way to map. You can even separate out those shared UVs if you wished, if you later decided you wanted those faces to have different textures. The Engines were modeled from one engine, which was UVmapped with a Cylindrical projection, and after it was mapped, the object was simply copied and pasted, giving the other engine the exact same UVmap and Texture Space. Here, too, you could separate those out when manipulating the UV by hand if you later decided you didn't want those engines to share the same texture.

Then, the different UV sets were moved around in the UVMap, by hand, until they didn't overlap each other. They were normalized, by hand, a bit to make sure their relative scales were fairly correct so someone creating textures wouldn't have to worry about scaling textures differently for different parts of the model.

When exported all as one object, the object would retain each named Group and Each Material group if, for instance, it was a wavefront.obj export. Cabin/Wings/Engines could have separate texture maps or special materials. One could, before export, also assign more materials, like to the back of the engines so a "glow/ambient effect" material could be applied to that one Material group in one's chosen app.

4) However, the real point is - You don't want to model this way. :) This would be called "modeling by primitive" and would entail simply creating primitives and stacking them onto and into each other to define an object. This produced a lot of geometry that isn't actually seen by a renderer and there'd be a lot of texture space that wouldn't actually be seen, as well. However, the renderer would still have to load the geometry and textures, even if they were obscured/culled due to how the model was constructed.

Blocking out an idea with primitives is fine. And, for basic models, it's not really that much of a problem. However, this is not the way you'd want to do a complex shape like the one you have and that is why, and only why, you're probably having issues with trying to figure out how to map it. :)

There are plenty of good 3D modeling videos out there and all of them related to polygon modeling, which is what you're doing, are going to be relevant, no matter the application, in terms of demonstrating general 3D modeling skills. Take some time to watch some of them and watch some of the tutorials for your chosen application.

Some links for Hexagon general vids and some decent walkthroughs of modeling a spaceship model in Blender:

Geekatplay™ Studio, Resources for 3D Artists. Tutorials.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Waves at Morkonan...I remember you from the Hexagon forum iirc. Welcome to the Hive...

Your posts were always useful and I would second using Geekatplay tutorials that was how I learn't to use Hex.