• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Footsteps Tool

Jack Ryan

Inspired
I would like to use the Nerd3D Footsteps Tool to put some tire tracks in my scene. However, all I can get are footsteps. What am I not doing that I need to do, I can't seem to see anything specific in their ReadMe or PDF file.

Thanks - Jack

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hmmm, the PDF is supposed to be a tutorial. It's been a few years since I've used it, and I had to download it again, as this computer is only 7 months old.

I see in the Pose Library there's a group of pz2 files for each of the type of tracks you would want to create, and the Tire Track is there, so I'm assuming you would set up the track with that particular pose file. I hope that helps.

Jack Ryan

Inspired
I load the "Square Field" Figure, then the "Footsteps" Figure Magnet, then the "Tire Track" Pose. What I see then just looks like a bunch of foot prints in the snow, especially if I use the "EasyPose Path" dials to curve the tracks. If I try some of the "Some Tricks" suggestion on pg 3 of the PDF, I still get groups of footprints. There must be something I'm doing wrong, or not doing.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm not an expert on the Footsteps Tool, so if no one else has/uses it, you might want to site mail Nerd, and he'll come and help you get it to work properly. I never tried the Tire Tracks, so not sure what other adjustments might be necessary.

Nerd3D

Motivated
Contributing Artist
What effect are you after?

In General:

• Select the Control of the "Footsteps" (The big cone)
  • In the dials look at "Track Details" Dial Group
  • These dials affect the shape and positioning of the prints.

For example to create ski tracks set the Print Length dial to ~20 and the Toe in dial to 0. Track width would control how fat apart the skis are.

Jack Ryan

Inspired
Thanks for getting back to me. I am trying to get tire tracks. I load the "Square Field" Figure, then the "Footsteps" Figure Magnet, then the "Tire Track" Pose. What I see then just looks like a bunch of foot prints in the snow. I selected the Footsteps Control cone. Set Print Length = 20, Toe-in = 0, Width = 4. Now it looks like two lines of toe-to-heel foot prints. If I use the "EasyPose Path" dials to curve the tracks, the footprints separate on the outside of the curve. There must be something I'm doing wrong, or not doing.

Nerd3D

Motivated
Contributing Artist
1595545055588.png

Something like this? This is about the sharpest corner you can do with one tool. Using a separate tool for the inside and outside can make even tighter corners.

If you need to make sharp corners the "Print Length" and "Stride Length" need to be lower so the heels and toes don't poke out the side. To create a longer track just use multiple print tools. For really tight turns it will probably be better to use one tool for the inside track and another tool(s) for the outside track because they have such different curvatures and lengths.