• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Fog Camera Question

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Okay, so first off - this is for 3Delight, not Iray.

Is there any way at all, to actually use a fog camera in DS without it destroying everything that has an opacity map attached? I really do like the effect, and for outdoor renders it's perfect for many, many situations. But I can't get a render that looks good because of what the fog does to the transmaps.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone gotten this to work?

Thanks.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Here's an example of what I mean. Note the white "halo" surrounding the one plant prop that depends on a transmap...

upload_2016-6-4_0-19-52.png

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And a better example, where you can really see the problem. LOL.

There's got to be a way to actually USE these cameras without this happening. What am I missing?

upload_2016-6-4_1-31-41.png

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
I'm not getting that problem using AoA's fog camera.
I'm using DS version 4.9.1.3

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hmm. It's one of the fog cameras that came with First Bastion's "Secluded Shoreline" product.
I'm using DS 4.8.

I've had the same issue with multiple fog cameras from different vendors over the years, but I don't think I've ever tried AOA's cams... maybe I should try those instead.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
I don't have that set so can't check. I'll try some others I've got with other sets?
I'm wondering if it was a problem in 4.8 that they solved in 4.9 - may I ask why you haven't updated yet?

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Just tried one of Stonemason from the winter terrain set and still didn't get any problems.
What are your render settings?

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't have that set so can't check. I'll try some others I've got with other sets?
I'm wondering if it was a problem in 4.8 that they solved in 4.9 - may I ask why you haven't updated yet?

To be honest, I've been very hesitant because of all the Connect stuff. I don't like Daz to decide for me where my content should go. I have a 15 year content library, and it's organized in my way, as a way that works for me. I don't need the program to hold my hand and tell me where to put things or decide where they should go - and no, "shortcuts" don't cut it for me. I want the actual content in the folders I decide - not Daz.

If they have changed that, and I can still use the Content Library tab the way I have been using it all along, then I will give 4.9 another test run and see how it goes. But if they have not changed that, then I'm staying with 4.8, and if that means I can't use the fog cams, then I just won't use them and I'll postwork it in later. I will not try the upgrade again (I did once and removed it) unless I can continue using my content library tab the way I have been all along.

Regarding the cameras themselves - I got identical results with the AOA fog camera also :

Fog2.png

If they (Daz) have fixed their current version to allow us to use our content library tab the way we have from the start, then I'll run the update again and give it another try. But if they haven't, then I'll just remove the fog cams and do it in postwork later.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
In regards to the render settings.........

Progressive : On
Shading Rate : 0.20
Gamma : Off
Gain : 1.00
Sampling : 4x, 4y
Shadow Samples : 16
Max Ray Trace Depth : 4
Buckets : 32
Engine : 3Delight

These are preview quality settings for me - I ran a test with the pixel samples up around 10/10 and the Shadow Samples up at 32, also and got the same results.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
There was a problem with the fog camera's and transparencies due to an update in DS that broke something. It sounds like they managed to fix it in 4.9. Tparo are you using the latest version of DS? I'm hoping to upgrade once I finish reports and the latest version has some great new features for creating morphs. I was wondering how it went for you if you have?

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Nope haven't upgraded to the very latest yet haven't really had time, but I am interested in the new layer in the Uber Iray shader.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm interested in the ability to split morphs. I have a few ideas that I want to try...