• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Fix morphs

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
I'm working on two characters for Dawn, and I'd like to add some tweaks for some of the expression morphs in the Base morph package. I'd like to be able to make them in Blender, but just exporting Dawn (or any figure) from Poser (even as a morph target) reorders the vertices and makes loading the exported mesh (or a sculpt of said mesh) as a morph impossible. How can I sculpt Dawn with expression morphs in Blender? Or do I have to do it in Poser with the Morph Tool?

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Thanks so much for the reference, but unfortunately it isn't the same topic. They're not dealing at all with the fact that with no subdivision at all, Poser (at least the version I'm using, 11.1.0.34759) messes up the order of the vertices on export. At least as far as I can tell from practice and actually looking at the OBJ files in a text editor. I have not been able to export _any_ version of an unaltered figure and load it as a full body morph. I have no problem at all working from the original OBJ.

That said, just writing this out has given me two thoughts on variables I haven't tested. One is the welded edges, and the other is version of Poser. I know that this last update of Poser 11 has some major bugs in it, so it may just be a recently introduced problem.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
If you had followed the links in that thread, you would have realized that it has nothing to do with your version of Poser, but is an inherent problem in Poser with the object export. Your choices are to work with the original object in Blender or use the morph brush inside Poser to prevent the issue.

Tony/vilters offers some videos on sculpting in that thread that may solve your problem, though I have never needed to go that way.

The other option is to use Colorcurvature's PML which is what I do for creating morphs. PML solves all those issues for the price of $20.00

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
If I had gone on to information not in that thread I would have discovered the answer to an issue not even mentioned in that thread? Why in the world would you not just send me directly to that information? Or just say it as you did now?

OK, just sussed it out. It was the welding option on export. Very interesting.

$20 is a bit much for something that should be straightforward. I think I'll try debugging my problem with the Blender vertex re-ordering script (works on objects with the same UVs) before I go that route. And I'd be slightly surprised to find that no one out there making, say, new JCMs has any solution beyond those three (PML, GoZ, and the Morph Tool). Not majorly surprised, but slightly.

Thanks again for the references.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
If I had gone on to information not in that thread I would have discovered the answer to an issue not even mentioned in that thread? Why in the world would you not just send me directly to that information? Or just say it as you did now?

OK, just sussed it out. It was the welding option on export. Very interesting.

$20 is a bit much for something that should be straightforward. I think I'll try debugging my problem with the Blender vertex re-ordering script (works on objects with the same UVs) before I go that route. And I'd be slightly surprised to find that no one out there making, say, new JCMs has any solution beyond those three (PML, GoZ, and the Morph Tool). Not majorly surprised, but slightly.

Thanks again for the references.

Because I did not have the links handy. Sorry, next time I just won't bother.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
The links were actually unnecessary and, beyond one sentence about welding in almost a combined half hour of video, interesting but totally irrelevant to this problem. Your subsequent post, while insulting, was much more helpful than either video, and I just honestly (and bemusedly- I find it kind of funny) don't understand why you didn't just post that in the first place. Or at least just not give me snark about not finding that one sentence in an off-site video without more information than "Check out this thread." Even "Check out the videos in this thread" would have been clearer. I'm honestly just bewildered why you would be snarky about how I read a whole thread on an unrelated topic that had no useful information in it but didn't bother to watch over 25 minutes of video in said unhelpful thread to hear one sentence. It's like saying something is in a room, then getting pissed because the person didn't spend 15 minutes searching every pocket in a pile of clothes in that room to find the item in the pocket of a jacket in the middle of a pile. It's the kind of thing I end up laughing at myself about when I accidentally get in that situation with my husband.

But yeah, if you can't respond to a question of mine without talking down to me or disrespecting me, please don't bother responding to me at all. It's not helpful, I'll call you on it, and then we'll both be unhappy. And where's the point in that? Just keep doing your thing, and I'll eventually figure it out. I just wanted to find the answer more quickly. And thanks again for the information on PML.

Oh, and just to put it out there for anyone who comes across this thread, you have the fourth option of just not welding your export. It's a lot less convenient (for instance, smoothing is a problem), but you can work with an un-welded mesh. Considering the fix morphs I need are facial (only have to worry about the head/jaw join), it might not even be an issue. Certainly my main reason for not using the Morph Tool, which was working around the eyes, won't be a problem.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Because, quite frankly, I don't use Blender and I don't have a clue what the hell vilters is even talking about. So I suggested you go to the source.

I'm truly sorry if you found that unhelpful.