• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Firefox scam...

eclark1894

Visionary
Every now and then I keep getting a pop-up window that shows the Firefox logo and the words Firefox Urgent update. A moment later, another window will pop up with a download button. Now, I'm not stupid, plus, I've already recently gone to Firefox and upgraded to the latest version, so there's obviously no reason why this window should keep popping up. But I'm not a super savvy guy on the Windows platform since I'm really a Mac guy, but is there something i can do to stop this window from keep popping up on my screen?

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I run NoScript on Firefox. It stops any background scripts running unless you give it the nod. Not sure if Firefox for Mac can install it but it's worth trying. When you first start using it, there would be a lot of things needing to be given permission but as time goes on, and as your usual websites are added, there would be less.

eclark1894

Visionary
Earl, it sounds like you have a virus. I'd run a virus scanner on your machine immediately.
I did. But I guess i could run it again. And Lorraine, this only happens on my PC laptop. I haven't been using my Mac much lately, since it's well... old now and can't run PP11 or any version of DS.

Lorraine

In that case Earl, NoScript will install fine on your laptop. If you go into Mozilla extensions you'll find it.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Every now and then I keep getting a pop-up window that shows the Firefox logo and the words Firefox Urgent update. A moment later, another window will pop up with a download button. Now, I'm not stupid, plus, I've already recently gone to Firefox and upgraded to the latest version, so there's obviously no reason why this window should keep popping up. But I'm not a super savvy guy on the Windows platform since I'm really a Mac guy, but is there something i can do to stop this window from keep popping up on my screen?

I did. But I guess i could run it again. And Lorraine, this only happens on my PC laptop. I haven't been using my Mac much lately, since it's well... old now and can't run PP11 or any version of DS.

Well, I'm running Firefox, latest edition and that is NOT happening on my computer. It's not the way Firefox indicates there is an updated version available.

I agree that there is something going on with that popup. I do not run no script because it messes up some websites I need to use but I do have an add blocker. Even with add blocking I have run into that popup several times, and I think it has been exclusively on Deviant Art pages. I am running Kaspersky Internet security and it never flags anything when I see it and I always run a full scan afterwards with nothing detected. It is annoying to see it but at least in my case I have no viruses detected and I have done many scans since I first saw it.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have, on occasion, seen a popup stating FF needs to be updated, but I usually check Help > About, which pops up a window that will tell you what version of FF you're running, and whether it needs to be updated.

I'm currently running 47.0.1, and haven't been nudged for an update in quite a while, and I also usually go to Mozilla to download my updates.

eclark1894

Visionary
First time I ever went virus hunting... but the window dud finally pop up again, so I quickly took a screen shot to show you. And for the record, no, I never download.

firefox scam.png

seachnasaigh

Energetic
What is that address? It looks like weengooffers.net?

Next time that pops up, open Task Manager, and see if the popup is an application (application tab). If so, right-click on the listed item and go to process. Otherwise, you might try to figure out which process it is directly in the process tab. In the processes tab, right-click on the item and open file location. Is it in the Mozilla folder? In the Explorer window, right-click on the exe?/dll? and see if you can delete it.

It might take a combination of Process Kill and Registry Assassin to get rid of it.

Lorraine

That's definitely a baddy, Earl, no way would Firefox have that web address for a download.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I just copied your screencap into Photoshop Earl, and zoomed in to look at the URI. The only times I've had the popup, it was just that, a popup dialog box. Firefox did NOT open a new web page as your screencap indicates.

I use adblocker also, so that may be why I'm not seeing one like you're getting.

eclark1894

Visionary
Just so you guys know, I have now installed an ad blocker called "Privacy Badger". It's still learning what to block and what not to block, so i'm not sure yet how it will work on things like the Firefox scam.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I use Malwarebytes, and Spybot Search & Destroy, besides my antivirus software, and they're both pretty good at catching things.

Marsha

New-Bee
I fell for the orange Firefox screen several weeks ago (it looked so authentic!), and now the update dialog box keeps coming up. Did a virus scan; no problems detected. Tried Malwarebytes; nothing found. There were suggestions on various sites of rather extreme and complex things to do, but so far I have not seen anyone saying that they were able to remove it.

Has anyone been able to get rid of this thing?