• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

EXR files will they suddenly replace the OBJ file format?

Carey

Extraordinary
If you are looking at this you more then likely have some idea what a OBJ file is, didn't say all mind you, for some of you young whipper snappers already think the OBJ file format is from the dark ages... But what on earth is an EXR file format? More to the point: how much will they give us in trade for our old OBJ files...I have all kinds of partly answers but mostly I have questions..Don't worry I'm medicated, I can take bad news

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
As far as I know, which isn't all, the only time I see an EXR file is when I clear the cache of my Poser renders at the end of the day. Poser creates them, but I'm not sure why.

What else they could be used for, I have no idea. I still export from Blender in OBJ format, as I don't do gaming, and Poser utilizes OBJ files just fine, and as far as I know so does DS, as well as a good many other 3D software apps.

Carey

Extraordinary
As far as I know, which isn't all, the only time I see an EXR file is when I clear the cache of my Poser renders at the end of the day. Poser creates them, but I'm not sure why.

What else they could be used for, I have no idea. I still export from Blender in OBJ format, as I don't do gaming, and Poser utilizes OBJ files just fine, and as far as I know so does DS, as well as a good many other 3D software apps.
EXR is a file format was invented by those fine folks at electric light think of it as a super OBJ file storing much more information Then the OBJ file format does. Was looking at a new designer program and it does not support OBJ or DXF or any of that good stuff just EXR....Yea, had to google it...lol

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I didn't think we needed EXR files. Reminds me a little of the XMP files Poser creates in some libraries, which is also just a data file that contains information about the Poser file it's with. I always delete them.

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
I haven't actively used Poser in a long time (I did recently install P11, not sure if I'll do anything with it), so I don't remember its EXR files. The apps I use can export out to it, but I've never bothered to dive into whether I should be using it or not and why or why not.

Kerya

Brilliant
Are you sure you aren't mistaking EXR and FBX?
FBX is something that Poser (11 and upward) and DazStudio can read and it is a 3d format.
All those acronyms ...

Kerya

Brilliant
Sorry ... OK, I googled for EXR and 3D.

At Turbosquid you can find 8 models, all of them are not in a 3d file format EXR (the only real exr files there are the hdri and cloud thingies, and those are 2D exr files). At CGTrader the only files with exr are HDRIs ...

Where did you find 3D EXR files? Curiosity ...

DanaTA

Distinguished
I Googled it and this was the top answer:

exr files.jpg

Dana

Hornet3d

Wise
I always wonder about files such as this and where the future might take us. What will we leave our families if all our stored photos if, in 50 or 60 years time, there is no .JPG format.

I have just finished setting up another Photobook for this year but I had to relearn the process as the old method used Flash. It turns out the printing company has created a great replacement that is actually easier to use once you get your head around. Point is, that is just as well as I have no choice to use a flash option anymore.

Just shows that the tech we use is transient which may become important.

Rhia474

EXR is not a 3d file format, so am not sure where that info came from. I encountered EXR as an alternate to HDRI as the current iteration of Poser 12 broke HDRI images on background nodes or even envirospheres so I have to use an image converter for HDRI to EXR.

I'm not sure where you read it would ever replace OBJ as the two are used, as far as I know, for completely different purposes (as indicated by the description shown above in Dana's post.