• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

DS compatability question - capsule zones

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
So I'm rigging up a new figure series in Poser Pro 11. Since I expect to make a DS native version of it after I'm done, what types of poser rigging convert over? I know regular joints and the old ball-and-stick zone mapping does. Does poser weightmapping and capsule rigging come over? I know that DS diverged in evolution circa poser 5, which is before wm and capsules.

Lyrra

Semicharm

Eager
No, capsule rigging and poser weightmapping don't work in DS.

That's what I thought too, till someone pestered me about getting Miki3 working in DS. Miki3 was rigged for Poser8, capsule zones and key-frame controls. To my surprise, the key-frame controls worked. According to the DS changelog, that was added in 4.5. After some random luck and experimentation, I also discovered that DS does in fact support Poser9 weightmaps. But there's a catch--it doesn't support Poser9 joint rigging. I didn't get into what exactly was going there, as I had her original Poser8 joints working with Poser9 weightmaps. As far as I have determined, it seems Daz attempted to update Poser support in DS, got somethings working somewhere between Poser8 and 9, then gave up.

I know all of this sounds unbelievable, so here's a screencap of Miki3, with weightmaps, posed in DS4.9.

Miki3WM in DS PoserTest1b.jpg

Semicharm

Eager
Sorry, not sure how that helps you Lyrra. Even though DS can possibly read Poser weightmaps, support was never fully implemented. It can't edit them or convert them to DS weightmaps. Additionally, it has other issues with rigging from newer version of Poser. It's possible to get DS weightmaps working in Poser, but the opposite still isn't practical. Technically, Poser and DS have implemented similar features, but it would require someone with deep knowledge of Poser and DS rigging systems and time to code a conversion utility.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
It is still good to know!

What it means for me mainly, is that as the rigging for my figure 'evolves' I have to find the best place to diverge them for the DS version versus the poser version. As it is I'm facing having to manually code the JCM's so they will translate and I purely hate doing those the hard way. I could completely finish the poser version and then take it into DS, but I already know a chunk of it would have to be ripped out and remade and frankly its easier if it is just not there in the first place. The way I prefer to handle scaling dials in Poser and how DS best handles it is completely different.

LM

Semicharm

Eager
A large part of the problem is the gap between what DS will technically support and what the Poser importer can understand. I'm still not entirely sure which features were implemented and which weren't. DS wouldn't read things such as weightmaps correctly when I saved my Miki3 project from Poser 11 Pro, but loading the same figure back into Poser 9 (ignoring the version error) and saving it again worked without any issues. Aside from a few extraneous bits of data from Poser 11, I noticed the order of some lines in the file had changed. Apparently DS was hardcoded to expect them in a specific order. *facepalm* They've been working with Poser long enough to know that its file format isn't formally structured like that. However, DS completely flops when loading actual Poser9 figures like Miki4. So again, something in the format changed between Poser 8 and 9. :/

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
Right now my figure is at poser 4 era complexity. I still need to tweak the rig, add JCM and the non-scaling morphs as well as do the obj exports to make the scaled morphs in DS later. So in theory DS should be perfectly fine with what I've got once I run it through PoserFileEditor to make sure its coded a la poser 5 or so. In theory *lol*

I guess I'll see when I get there! for that matter once I save out the version for DS I can add more features and make a WM as well as standard rig poser version, just in case anyone is still fiddling along with poser 5 or 6.

LM