• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Drawing a Path (Line)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Okay, I apologize ahead of time for what is probably going to end up being a deluge of beginner questions. But considering I've only recently started using this program... I spent 17 years in Corel, and only recently switched because of the cost continuing to rise and their abject refusal to support .abr files.

I'm trying to get a line path drawn so that I can add type text on the diagonal without damaging the crispness of it by rotating the text later. I've been following THIS tutorial to do it. I was able to get the line drawn the first time, but every attempt after that, I end up with an open-ended triangle when doing it.

I've tried holding down ALT, I've done the same with both ALT+CONTROL. I've tried letting go of the keys first, and I've tried letting go of the mouse first. It looks perfectly straight until I try to let go of the mouse, and then gives me this open-ended triangle, which.. is not going to do what I want to do.

Erm... what am I doing wrong? LOL

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I used to do this in Paint Shop Pro years ago, before I got into Photoshop. I'd have to check out the tutorial first before giving you any hints, so unless someone else comes along with an answer for you, give me a bit of time to try my hand at it.

BTW, do you have a screenshot of what you wind up with? That might be helpful as well.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I used to do this in Paint Shop Pro years ago, before I got into Photoshop. I'd have to check out the tutorial first before giving you any hints, so unless someone else comes along with an answer for you, give me a bit of time to try my hand at it.

BTW, do you have a screenshot of what you wind up with? That might be helpful as well.

I think I figured out the cause? I think. From what I can tell, when I had to undo the first path, every subsequent path was attempting to follow the prior route that the first, original path followed. I deleted the layer, created a new layer, and after that, the path formed the way it should.

I'm going to test it and see if I can reproduce it, but at the moment, I think that's what I had happening, and the fix was to just delete the layer and make a new one before trying to draw a new path.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh yes, that will cause problems. I meant to ask you which tool you're using, because I just did it with the Line Tool, without a problem. You just need to start close enough to the beginning of the line to make sure all the text you want is centered nicely on the line. I just did these freehand with a guess as to how much I'd need, but better to have a longer line, than not long enough, especially if you're going to use reasonably large text. This, I believe, is at 36pts.

PhotoshopLineTool.jpg

Back in the day when I was using PSP, I used to do text on a curve, and then I would use the Pen Tool, so I could use the handles on either end to shape the curve.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh yes, that will cause problems. I meant to ask you which tool you're using, because I just did it with the Line Tool, without a problem. You just need to start close enough to the beginning of the line to make sure all the text you want is centered nicely on the line.

LOL - Yes, and that right there, is why I had to undo the first path at all. :D

As to which tool - I was using the Line tool, set to Path, yes. I didn't want a curve, or special shapes or any circular path or anything. I just needed a diagonal line without ending up with distorted text at the end. I got it now. Thanks! ^_^

Gi-COF-Overalls-Artistic.jpg

Last edited: