• Welcome to the new Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that for security purposes our store and forum are on two separate servers so you will require a separate login for each. The store will ask you for your Real Name (WILL NOT BE displayed to the public) and the forum will ask you for a User Name (WILL BE displayed to the public). You may use the same email address and password for both.
  • We are having some issues with our customized styles. The forum will be open with the default style until we can correct the issues. Thank you for your patience.

Drawing a Path (Line)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Okay, I apologize ahead of time for what is probably going to end up being a deluge of beginner questions. But considering I've only recently started using this program... I spent 17 years in Corel, and only recently switched because of the cost continuing to rise and their abject refusal to support .abr files.

I'm trying to get a line path drawn so that I can add type text on the diagonal without damaging the crispness of it by rotating the text later. I've been following THIS tutorial to do it. I was able to get the line drawn the first time, but every attempt after that, I end up with an open-ended triangle when doing it.

I've tried holding down ALT, I've done the same with both ALT+CONTROL. I've tried letting go of the keys first, and I've tried letting go of the mouse first. It looks perfectly straight until I try to let go of the mouse, and then gives me this open-ended triangle, which.. is not going to do what I want to do.

Erm... what am I doing wrong? LOL

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I used to do this in Paint Shop Pro years ago, before I got into Photoshop. I'd have to check out the tutorial first before giving you any hints, so unless someone else comes along with an answer for you, give me a bit of time to try my hand at it.

BTW, do you have a screenshot of what you wind up with? That might be helpful as well.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I used to do this in Paint Shop Pro years ago, before I got into Photoshop. I'd have to check out the tutorial first before giving you any hints, so unless someone else comes along with an answer for you, give me a bit of time to try my hand at it.

BTW, do you have a screenshot of what you wind up with? That might be helpful as well.
I think I figured out the cause? I think. From what I can tell, when I had to undo the first path, every subsequent path was attempting to follow the prior route that the first, original path followed. I deleted the layer, created a new layer, and after that, the path formed the way it should.

I'm going to test it and see if I can reproduce it, but at the moment, I think that's what I had happening, and the fix was to just delete the layer and make a new one before trying to draw a new path.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh yes, that will cause problems. I meant to ask you which tool you're using, because I just did it with the Line Tool, without a problem. You just need to start close enough to the beginning of the line to make sure all the text you want is centered nicely on the line. I just did these freehand with a guess as to how much I'd need, but better to have a longer line, than not long enough, especially if you're going to use reasonably large text. This, I believe, is at 36pts.

PhotoshopLineTool.jpg

Back in the day when I was using PSP, I used to do text on a curve, and then I would use the Pen Tool, so I could use the handles on either end to shape the curve.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh yes, that will cause problems. I meant to ask you which tool you're using, because I just did it with the Line Tool, without a problem. You just need to start close enough to the beginning of the line to make sure all the text you want is centered nicely on the line.
LOL - Yes, and that right there, is why I had to undo the first path at all. :D

As to which tool - I was using the Line tool, set to Path, yes. I didn't want a curve, or special shapes or any circular path or anything. I just needed a diagonal line without ending up with distorted text at the end. I got it now. Thanks! ^_^

Gi-COF-Overalls-Artistic.jpg

Last edited: