• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dragonfly for Poser?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, I had to look up damselflies, as I've never heard of them. That's going to be an interesting set.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease say there will be native DS figures for these.

All my "Nature's Wonders" have native DS versions with iRay now (older ones (like Kiwi Habitat/Moths/Lizards have been updated). Also, I'm starting to update my birds as well-- the "Birds of Prey" series should be the first in native DS with iRay, followed by the Waterfowl series and newer sets (Nightjars/Kiwi) and then the rest of the series. More details on the SBRM thread

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
All my "Nature's Wonders" have native DS versions with iRay now (older ones (like Kiwi Habitat/Moths/Lizards have been updated). Also, I'm starting to update my birds as well-- the "Birds of Prey" series should be the first in native DS with iRay, followed by the Waterfowl series and newer sets (Nightjars/Kiwi) and then the rest of the series. More details on the SBRM thread
:thankyou2:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Okay Ken, you got me. Never heard of a "damselfly".

They look sort of like "plain" Dragonflies... I also want to do Bluets (blue damselflies)

damselfly34.JPG enallagna boreale- Boreal Bluet 12.JPG

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
There are are four details you can use to identify if the insect is a dragonfly or a damselfly. They are the eyes, body shape, wing shape, and position of the wings at rest.

Dragonflies have much larger eyes than damselflies, with the eyes taking up most of the head as they wrap around from the side to the front of the face. The eyes of a damselfly are large, but there is always a gap of space between them.

Dragonflies have bulkier bodies than damselflies, with a shorter, thicker appearance. Damselflies have a body made like the narrowest of twigs, whereas dragonflies have a bit of heft.

Both dragonflies and damselflies have two sets of wings, however they have different shapes. Dragonflies have hind wings that broaden at the base, and which makes them larger than the front set of wings. Damselflies have wings that are the same size and shape for both sets, and they also taper down as they join the body, becoming quite narrow as they connect.

Finally, you can spot the difference when the insect is at rest. Dragonflies hold their wings out perpendicular to their bodies when resting, like an airplane. Damselflies fold their wings up and hold them together across the top of their backs.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks Rae for pointing out the differences (that I neglected to mention on my post). In many ways, it's like comparing moths and butterflies, they are sort of alike, but have key differences in shape and the way they fold their wings. Once I start modeling, I'll be able to to figure out whether I'll be doing one generic model or two separate ones-- for rigging purposes, there will be two separate character files due to wing folds.

I get both dragonflies and damselflies/bluets in my yard around the ponds.

eclark1894

Visionary
After Rae's discription I realize that I have seen both Bluets and damselflies, but thought they were just plain 'ol dragonflies.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Most people do Earl :D (I know I did until someone mentioned the word damselfly to me a few years ago).

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Looks like what I have been calling dragon flys are rather damsels. Oh and I have seen red ones too

eclark1894

Visionary
As long as we're talking insects, isn't there an insect that looks very similar to a preying mantis, but looks like a walking piece of straw?