• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Doing the Dishes... a WIP

eclark1894

Visionary
Special thatnks to ghostship for helping me work out the refraction and shader on the wine. Best render I've done to date, bar none.

wine33.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Got thirsty working on this wine glass this weekend so last night I had to whip up a bottle of wine to go with. Gotta figure out how to texture that cork though.

winebottle.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Looking good Earl. Maybe Ghostship can help with the cork texture.

Then you'll have to come up with a nice texture for the labels. ;)

Hmmmm, I just took a closer look at the cork Earl, and it seems as though the portion that's stuck inside the bottle top looks good. Can you extend that texture, whatever it is, to the portion of the cork that's outside the bottle?

eclark1894

Visionary
I actually managed to download both a texture map and a normal map for the cork. I added the texture map, but I have to look up how to add the normal map.

Actually, adding the normal map's not a problem in Poser, but I'm not sure how to add it in Blender.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohh, good point. I don't do final rendering in Blender, so haven't a clue either where a Normal map would go, other than it would be "instead" of a Bump map, if that helps at all.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Most bottles of wine in Australia have caps these days even the really expensive ones. That might be easier to texture than a cork.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Cool...just wanted to give you another option in case the cork didn't work out how you wanted.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Also, Earl, corks are what folks use AFTER the bottle's open, so you might want to consider both a cap and a cork. That gives folks more options.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Looking good. Not sure if it's the same texture for the wine itself, but I think it looks better in this render than the ones with the grey backgrounds above, of course that could also be the lighting.

eclark1894

Visionary
Looking good. Not sure if it's the same texture for the wine itself, but I think it looks better in this render than the ones with the grey backgrounds above, of course that could also be the lighting.
Like you say, it could be a number of things. I tried to keep the Cycles setups equal, but I had to use some Poser nodes in place of some Cycles nodes. For example, I had to use a Poser Blender node instead of a Mix shader node on the wine since Poser doesn't have a Mix shader. It has a MixClosure Node, but that's not the same thing.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm all over the place, but I am making stuff. Made this wristwatch for Dawn. Started just before the hurricane started. Just finished up tonight.

watchmee.png

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Made this wristwatch for Dawn.

Nice watch. Just a thought though. I am a woman with tiny, tiny, wrists, and I stopped wearing watches for a long time because I couldn't find watches with bands small enough to be comfortable (unless I went with a Disney princess watch). I look at the first image you posted of the watch, and the loosens in the band just makes my wrist hurt because that's exactly the kind of fit which would cause watches to bump painfully against the end of my arm bone.

Now actually the fit looks really comfortable in the second shot, but you may want to consider either tightening the fit, or adding an option to make it tighter.

I know this might seem a little knit picky, but you haven no idea what a trial it was when I would try and find a watch that fit, and I eventually gave up, until the Apple Watch came out, and I was so thrilled they had bands that could be adjusted to fit me comfortably.

eclark1894

Visionary
Hmm, either you're saying you want a morph to make it fit even closer to the wrist or you want a buckle or something. Well, the buckle's already there, so... if you're talking about a morph, I'm opposed to it. I made the watch to fit Dawn's wrist, but the watch is also meant to fit Pauline's, Roxie, or Anastasia's wrist by fiddling with the size translation dials. Now, there's also the idea of just including a morph fit for the wrists of each of those figures. Is that a better idea for you?