• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

different spelling of the runtime folder-problematic under Linux

Mirella

Motivated
Contributing Artist
Yesterday evening I have installed some new things for Dawn. But after the installation I got a serious chaos.
Why don't all vendors are matching to a common naming of the runtime folder and their subfolders. This means the capitalization of the words describing the folders. After the installation procedure I got now two runtimes, one with and one without capitalization. And the same with all subfolders in both runtimes.
I show you, what I mean:

Runtime-->libraries--->pose...
Runtime-->Libraries-->pose...
Runtime-->Libraries-->Pose...
Runtime-->libraries-->Pose...
And now imagine the additional nonsense with the folder "runtime" in complete small letters...
runtime-->libraries--->pose...
runtime-->Libraries-->pose...
You know what I mean..?

Since hours I try to order this chaos without becoming dizzy. By the way, the folders for "textures" and "geometries" are written in the same way with both options.
If anybody is able to contact the vendors and tell them, that it is absolutely mandatory to keep the same and common way of naming the folders, it would be very helpful for the users.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
In Windows this isn't a problem. It's why most artists don't think of it. Windows isn't case dependent. It won't allow a Perry.jpg and a perry.jpg to exist in the same folder, for example, because to Windows, it's the same file.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
True...but I have a folder for DS where it is Character instead of characters. Which was why I could relate even though I'm a windows user. Not saying it was from here though Sunfire...but it is frustrating when products are slightly out and it creates additional folders.

Mirella

Motivated
Contributing Artist
In Linux is case sensitive. Windows I have run in a virtual machine (vmware) under Linux, because I need it only for Poser. Everything else I do in Linux, also sort the content. Even Daz Studio (64bit) running with wine on Linux. The other programs that I use (Gimp, Blender, Krita, etc.) are always Linux programs.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Pendraia, that is annoying yes. Or people who use poses instead of pose in the Poser libraries folder, or even library instead of libraries. Poser never finds those misnamed folders, unlike DS. Which means if you didn't catch it before you installed it, you're looking around and it could be forever before you actually figure out what the problem is!

Mirella, I know that Linux is, it's why I pointed out Windows wasn't. My husband keeps trying to figure out how to migrate me to Linux, but there's so much I do that is window's based that it isn't worth it.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Oh yeah...those ones annoy me also. In DS it just creates extra folders and as I categorise everything myself I don't need to go in and hand edit any files but still very annoying.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I'm not perfect about it and if you got some older products it may not be the case.

However, when I pack products this IS one of the things I do. I capitalize all of the main Poser folders and all DS folders except data.

I'll note it to my team so that they're double checking me.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
In Windows this isn't a problem. It's why most artists don't think of it. Windows isn't case dependent. It won't allow a Perry.jpg and a perry.jpg to exist in the same folder, for example, because to Windows, it's the same file.

Sunfire, in Poser at least, the Geometries and Textures path are case sensitive. At least the last I knew, they were. Things don't load if there's a lower case letter where an upper case should be, and vice versa...

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Poser has this odd habit of creating missing library folders, but it always creates them with the name all lowercase. Which helps when I'm deleting empty folders from a zip. I know I can delete any folder with a lowercase name. But, it's also easy to forget to fix a folder that Poser created when you decide to use that folder.

But yes. I try to make sure I fix any lowercase name on folders when I'm working on products.

And absolutely! It's a pain when people aren't consistent. Clearly, worse than a pain when you are using Linux.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I use capitals on all mine in poser...in DS the only ones that I don't use a capital with is the data folder...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have seen this many times over the years, but as someone who manually installs (copy/paste from one folder to another), I've never had an issue as far as initial caps or all lowercase, but I'm glad you mentioned the necessity Mirella, as I'm thinking of getting a new laptop, and I'm leaning towards Linux. My working with Windows has run it's course, and I will NOT be upgrading to version 10 in this lifetime.

Last edited:

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I put Linux on my other drive...but I couldn't get poser to work properly for me...so I took it off...Just have win7 on my main computer and win10 on my lappy

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Sanbie, did you try running Poser under Wine? It comes with most versions of Linux, and is supposed to emulate the Windows environment. It's supposedly like using Parallels on a Mac for running Windows based apps that don't have a Mac version.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
No I didn't MissB...I put a version 9 by Zorion on and it looked like windows...was quite good...but as I am working on things at the moment...didn't have time to go into it too much...and looking at the post above I would say that some of my Runtime names wouldn't have been compatible...

Hornet3d

Wise
Although not as important I was always struck by the different capitalisation and wording for the read me, or Readme, or readmes files and s few more variations. I always manually install new content and stripped out the read me files, however they were named into a separate folder called documentation. I know they are small files but when you have a hundred plus runtimes it can bloat them a little.

Looking at the games that are being played with Windows 10 and the animosity that is being caused I would expect the interest in Linux to increase. I know it was Windows 10 that finally pushed me into making a serious attempt to jump ship to Linux. So far I am happy with Linux to do my basic computing but I would like to get Poser and Vue working as well.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Although not as important I was always struck by the different capitalisation and wording for the read me, or Readme, or readmes files and s few more variations.

And here: ReadMes (unless I mess up ;).

I always manually install new content and stripped out the read me files, however they were named into a separate folder called documentation. I know they are small files but when you have a hundred plus runtimes it can bloat them a little.

I'd humbly like to suggest that you not do that with things you buy here - we actually put important info in there that you may well need to know in order to use the product correctly ;)

Hornet3d

Wise
And here: ReadMes (unless I mess up ;).

I'd humbly like to suggest that you not do that with things you buy here - we actually put important info in there that you may well need to know in order to use the product correctly ;)

I understand what you are saying and I know the ReadMes files are important and I don't just put them in the documentation folder and forget them, often I will rename the files in question to better relate it to the content itself making it easier to refer back. I don't have to do that with the Hivewire content as it has it it own folder by default. I understand the importance and even back the folder up but it is separate from my runtimes, part of the reason for this is the fact that my runtimes are placed on an SSD and I have limited space and I do not need the speed of access with any sort of documentation. I know they are small but they mount up, my documentation/readme folder at this moment is just short of ten gig and I can better use that sort of space on my SSD. The other problem is that, due to the use of different names the runtimes finish up with multiple readme folders in each runtime, my documentation folder has just a single readme folder while other sub folders house PDF manuals and other related documentation. The other point is that some content also has promos and other bits and pieces that are not, in my view essential to have living within the runtime, but then that is just the way I work. Probably strange (I do tend to be :)) but it works for me, I am not suggesting for a minute that anyone else should do the same.

Another point I would add is that I back up the downloaded zips in a year folder with a sub folder for each month. Along side this I hold maintain a database that list all the important facts about each item of content I buy and part of that information is the month and year it was purchased. Using this I am able to quickly locate the original zip and thus access the ReadMes that way as well. Of course that is not the main reason for this set up, more to protect against the loss or corruption of any content which I may not be able to download at a later date. I am able to go back to zips and Daz install content files that I purchased as far back as 2000 which is when I started playing with 3D art.