• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Daz Studio is for animation professional keyframe ?

RobhG

Inspired
Is it possible to use Daz Studio only for Keyframe animation + puppeter to create independent YouTube series? It is possible to have money using templates that accompany the program as the Genesis models, example the basic man

spearcarrier

Admirable
I would think it is - although I've only tried puppeteer once. I hated it with a passion.

I think it's really just knowing your tool... I know a lot of people use animate, but I rarely use that as well. I collect animated poses and do things myself bit by bit. I only have a couple of the plugins due to money, but I manage. Mind you I can barely animate. I do mean barely.

Jay Versluis

Admirable
You can use keyframe animation for literally every parameter in DAZ Studio. This includes every generation of character, object, light, camera and parameter slider you can think of.

AniMate is a plugin that allows you to convert sequences of keyframes into non-linear clips that can then be played multiple times and overlaid and/or blended with each other to create easy sequences for your animations. It can also convert aniBlocks back into keyframe sequences.

Puppeteer is a posing palette inside DAZ Studio that allows for easy blending from one state of an object into another. Kind of an 'on the spot' pose/parameter blending tool.

If you want to do more with keyframe animation, look also into the KeyMate and GraphMate plugins, they help expose layers of keyframes better and make adjusting keyframes and several settings more easy. In fact, some settings like linear vs. ease-in/ease-out animation tweening is only accessible using these plugins.

However, even with all these tools at your fingertips, if in principle DAZ Studio is the professional's choice for animation is debatable. While it's certainly capable, other packages may be better suited for the task. Plus, rendering animations in DAZ Studio can take vast amount of time and can quickly take the fun out of the whole process.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
In my experience, Poser offers better animation tools than DS, but in my humble opinion, neither one is suited for professional work. Neither support feet contact with the ground, and the IK is flaky at best. This means there is be a pretty good chance of feet sliding, going through the ground, or floating around. Retargeting animation from one figure to another may or may not need tons of adjustments because it doesn't do a very good job converting the initial joint rotations and skeleton bones scale.

If you are looking for professional animation, you will be better suited with the likes of Autodesk MotionBuilder.

RobhG

Inspired
I am in doubt which use to make animations:

Blender, Cinema 4d, Autodesk MotionBuilder, MikuMikuDance, MikuMikuMoving or Carrara 8.5 Pro.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't do animations, so can't say for sure, but I would think all of them would work well. Which are you most comfortable with?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I would help you out Rob but I only know animation in Poser. It works really good for keyframing. If you have the animation done then look at how each of those programs renders and import your animation to it would be my guess.

RobhG

Inspired
I would help you out Rob but I only know animation in Poser. It works really good for keyframing. If you have the animation done then look at how each of those programs renders and import your animation to it would be my guess.
I came to think of using up my SoftImage 3d 3.9, Cinema 4d I think I would do well in what I want (animation of characters as if it were a series!) but I am in doubt, since "What matters is your work and not whether the software is original , because artist becomes anything. "

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Start with the figure set at the ground to begin with. Then only move the hips never the body. Then pose every frame. Do a complete cycle and copy that. That should keep it from going through the ground. Do you have anything I can see?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Oh in addition look where the feet goes through the ground and move the figure up or move the legs at those points.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Can you share tips please with those of us who get feet going through the ground all the time?

Poser has a utility script that puts the figure on the ground in every frame. It's under Utilities-> DropFigToFloorAllFrames. Hope it helps. :)

D

Deleted member 325

Start with the figure set at the ground to begin with. Then only move the hips never the body. Then pose every frame. Do a complete cycle and copy that. That should keep it from going through the ground. Do you have anything I can see?
The problem is, sometimes a figure does not support IK...and this does not work. Sometimes, even with IK, if the movement is particularly complex and involves the feet moving, Poser's spline methods create unwanted wobbles and move throughs that then need to be fixed and accounted for.

Don't get me wrong, I still feel it is Loads better at Keyframing than DS, but as Ken said, I would not call it fully professional (but I have been spoiled by Lightwave).

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
The HiveWire figures don't come with IK chains. It just takes work and little sticky notes to mark the places where the feet land. Then adjustment. Lots of adjustment.

D

Deleted member 325

The HiveWire figures don't come with IK chains. It just takes work and little sticky notes to mark the places where the feet land. Then adjustment. Lots of adjustment.
"yeah, yeah, yeah, patience...how long will that take?"
I just need to accept I don't have the patience for my chosen calling.
One thing I did in a recent animation using some of Sanctum Art's critters with No IK was to make a "dupe" figure set to outline only to use as reference. When I adjusted the animated figure, I would then put the new frames pose in a pose dot, go back to frame 1 and load it onto the wire frame dupe to try to make sure to keep the knew feet lined up... or relatively lined up. I am sure if I had more patience and took more time it would have worked better.