• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Daz Studio...copy joints?

NG Artplay

Eager
Contributing Artist
In Poser I can go into the joint editor, select Dawn's chest (or whatever body part) and choose to copy the joint weight mapping.
I can then select my dress' same body part, go into the joint editor and choose to paste Dawn's joint weight mapping to my dress.

Is it possible in DS 4+ to copy just one body part's joint weight mapping to a piece of clothing?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yes, I believe that would be correct, unless when you have the weight map brush open there is a copy option. Never really looked for it though. You can however set up projection templates using your original weight map and copy those across using the transfer utility. I know that Esha did something like that in her tutorial that I have.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Okay...this intrigued me so I went into DS and had a look. If you select an area in the scene tab e.g. Right thigh and then select the Node Weight map brush, if you select the x axis and then right click on it there is an option to copy selected. There is also a section underneath it that is greyed out that says paste. So I think it is doable...I've just never tried it so can't say how well it would work.

NG Artplay

Eager
Contributing Artist
I no longer need this at this moment but it is something that I'm bookmarking because I know that I will need it in the future. Even saved it to a text file ;) Hugs!

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Not to burst your bubble, but I think the copy feature only works on the same bone. For example, you can copy the yrotate weight map and then paste the weight to the xrotate, zrotate, and scale maps on the SAME bone. So it is useful, but very limited. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I've not tried it as I said earlier but it would make sense if it could do it for the same bone on a different outfit. Damn...back to the drawing board. Maybe we need to put a request in to Daz and see if it could be added.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Seems like all that is needed would be projection templates for individual body parts.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Not sure if it would be templates or something else. but I can't see why templates couldn't be used to do it. If you created a partial template e.g. thigh but then would it override the rest of the outfit? I'm not sure if templates can be used to apply only to that area and leave the rest the same. Something to experiment with if I ever get the time.