• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Creating low res crowd figures

Darryl

Adventurous
I'm attempting to create low res figures for use as extras in crowd scenes. I recently discovered the LOD meshes for M4 and V4 included in their packages. I want to keep large scenes from being slow to render and sluggish while I set it up. I'm using the 17k and 4k versions for each gender and planning to use second skins for the clothing.

I want to make sure I understand how resources are used regarding these figures and others, so please correct me if my assumptions are in error. I understand that mesh density and texture density mainly affect render time. Lower each and render time will be quicker. What about morphs though? I added the base morphs and morphs ++. Don't those affect the overall file size more than the render time? Am I shooting myself in the foot by adding a bunch of morphs to these low res figures? I'm away from my computer this afternoon but will check back when I return. TIA.

Darryl

Adventurous
OK, so moving forward, here are two images of M4 4k. The first is rendered with 1 level of subdivision the other with no subdivision, both with second skin shorts. Morphs++ were injected to adjust the face and body. Not sure why the non subdivided one has the dark lines on and around the body. It may not be an issue since they're meant to be viewed from a distance or in a crowd. The strange bending on the abdomen of the second figure is a result of bad posing. I fixed it for the top render.
low-res-M4-4k-subD.jpg
low-res-M4-no-sub.jpg

Darryl

Adventurous
for my next trick we've got M4 4k dancing with Sasha-16. She's decked out with Morphs++ and Morphia, full res. Cutting in from the left is weight mapped M4 LOD 17k with Morphus morphs. He thinks it's a mosh pit... it's not. Second skins all around. I wonder if there's a V4 toe remover so I can pretend she's wearing socks? The unusual body shapes are done on purpose cause I like strange body shapes.
low-res-group.jpg

Last edited: