• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Copyright infringement?

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
I've seen my own content offered as (not very good) clipart. So I of course went and rendered them myself with better lighting, bumpmaps and everything and posted them and put the link in the original posters comment section. So there. *lol* Petty I know, but satisfying. So they of course removed theirs, and I removed mine and all is at peace.

(The set in question was one that I sold to DAZ as a freebie years ago. I made my money off it already, so sales now mean nothing. Magic Containers, you probably have it ( Magic Containers | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D ). They look 100% better in Poser where they were made. The DS versions that DAZ made have terrible surfacing.)

Creators could probably make an end run around this sort of product by making their own similar clipart package and selling it themselves.

LM

I don't see it as petty at all I think it's a very polite way of dealing with the problem.

eclark1894

Visionary
Shakespeare also took his stories from other sources, all but one - the Tempest, at times he even took whole passages of text and used it, which he wouldn't get away with today. Disney can't own the stories and they have been done in other forms numerous times they do own their depiction of the characters though.
Disney can sue whomever they like, whether they're in the right or not. Very few people have pockets deep enough to duke it out with the mouse in court, so many times the threat alone is enough for them to get their own way.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, it has a lot of different items in it, so it's quite versatile.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Shakespeare also took his stories from other sources, all but one - the Tempest, at times he even took whole passages of text and used it, which he wouldn't get away with today. Disney can't own the stories and they have been done in other forms numerous times they do own their depiction of the characters though.

So Tempest was actually very *very* loosely based on a major news story of the time, that of the Sea Venture which was on it's way to Jamestown when it was shipwrecked in a storm. The crew survived and ended up in Bermuda.

What's interesting actually is that in Shakespeare's time, and in fact until about the last 200 years or so, it was considered incredibly arrogant to 'make up' something like a story. Shakespeare was expected to have a 'source' for any play he wrote, although many of them were only very loosely based on the 'original'. It was expected that everything was based on something else. That's why you see in many early novels a great deal of time spent explaining what the source of the story is, even when it's all made up. So when people were writing original fiction, they would attribute it to letters they found in a trunk somewhere, or one guy surviving to tell the story.

But we have a very different view of that these days, even more so now that it's so easy to copy someone else's work. And of course, Disney is especially notorious for not only how it protects it's IP, but for the fact that it keeps lobbying Congress to extend how long after someone's death it takes for things to enter the public domain (so that Mickey Mouse et. al are still exclusively theirs).

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, truth to tell, I do believe there should be some exceptions. That might come from me being a bit of a writer myself. If I create something, I don't particularly want someone coming along after me and taking credit for all my hard work. Even if I'm dead.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Well, truth to tell, I do believe there should be some exceptions. That might come from me being a bit of a writer myself. If I create something, I don't particularly want someone coming along after me and taking credit for all my hard work. Even if I'm dead.

I'm not saying authors shouldn't have the rights to characters they create, but there is a question about at one point does a work of art belong to the culture, and not to descendants (or company in the case of Disney) of the creator. It's at least 75 years after the creator's death now (if not longer) that things stay out of the public domain. And yes, Disney did create Mickey Mouse, but so many of his biggest successes were based on public domain works, that Disney seems like such a frustrating example.

Ran into another stock artist using 3d models .. this time the daz dragon 3 if I'm not mistaken. Cinematic Dragon 4

Obviously I'm in the wrong market! *lol*

Yes, I checked it out and compared to some Daz Dragon 3 stuff I have. I thought at first that maybe the person might have done some customer poses or mats, but no, I have all of those. In fact, the poses for the Daz Dragon 3 are in a file called, Cinematic Poses. However, this person does at least say that they were rendered in Cinema 4D and Poser. Not everyone may know what the means, but they are at least acknowledging they didn't create it from scratch.

eclark1894

Visionary
It won't be too much longer before Disney swallows up Time Warner and they get control of Superman and Batman and Bugs Bunny.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well then, they'll have to swallow up Spectrum, because they've already swallowed up TWC. Oh wait, you're talking about Time Warner Inc., not Time Warner Cable, which is one of their subsidiaries.