• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Copy Morphs with Python?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I was looking through the Poser Python manual, and I couldn't find a way transfer morphs from figure to clothing. At best I can find morphs on the figure through it's attributes list, and filter by morph targets, but how do I copy them to another figure/clothing?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
If you're using the Pro version of Poser, at least PP2014 and/or PP11, you can use the Copy Morphs From in the Figure menu list. It's further down the list, but only available in the Pro versions of Poser.

I've never tried to copy morphs from a figure to clothing that wasn't meant for the same figure. IOW, I've never copied morphs from Dawn to a piece of clothing created for say V4 or PE, so don't know if that would work out well.

Oh, and I don't think copying morphs from one character to another, say Dawn to PE, would work either.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks Miss B, but the question is about how to copy morphs using Python programming. I am making a morph injection for Dawn that non-Pro users will not be able to transfer to the clothing unless I provided a Python script that does it. Non-Pro Poser version do not have the menu option.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ah, OK. Yes, I know the non-Pro version doesn't include that option. I didn't realize you were trying to make it available for those using the Standard version of Poser.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I believe most people own the standard version. Makes me wonder if SMS didn't include morph copying in Python to force people to buy the Pro version? In any case, I am not going to assume it cannot be done in Python just because I couldn't find it in the Poser Python manual. I have hopes someone could confirm or deny it here. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't know enough about Python to say one way or another, but I can't believe it can't be done, as you would think a lot of the actions done from the Poser menus are somehow connected to Python scripting.

BTW, I think the Fitting Room would be a bigger draw to get Standard users to upgrade to Pro if they want to be content creators.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Maybe, but just think of it - whenever you change the body shape, the clothing cannot follow unless you could copy the morphs. Therefore I think this SHOULD be included with the standard version. In DS Auto-follow does it automatically for free, and in Poser people have to pay for the Pro version? To me it sounds like standard everyday usage, and not something Pro level.

Well, the Poser Python manual has no mention of copying morphs being accessible to Python. As far as I know, it's not possible. I have found a way to copy joint zones, but not morphs.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm about to get off here for the night, but I have PhilC's Python for Poser, unless that's what you're referring to by Python manual, I can take a look tomorrow to see if he mentions anything about copying morphs.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The official Poser Python manual is a PDF that ships with Poser Pro. I could be mistaken, but I think "Copy Morphs From" didn't exist by the time Phil Cook wrote that tutorial. It was a time when we had to use external tools to add morphs to clothing in Poser.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Well, in case there is no way for me to make a Python script for this, there are still these external tools people have been using if they don't have the Pro version, to copy morphs into the clothing.

Miss B

CV-BEE
True, would be nice to have the option, but if it's not available, at least there's something to fall back on.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am actually quite surprised Poser Python can't do something as essential as this. I will be talking to SMS about this in the private dev forums.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
I am actually quite surprised Poser Python can't do something as essential as this. I will be talking to SMS about this in the private dev forums.
But the whole reason you can't, say, use a simple command call in Python, is because that functionality is _deliberately_ not in regular Poser. If they add it to the Python accessible in to regular Poser, then it's not a benefit of Poser Pro anymore. I'm not suggesting you don't ask, but realize that what you're saying is essentially, "Why haven't you undercut your Poser Pro features by putting them into regular Poser and making them accessible to anyone with Python knowledge?" You're basically arguing that the feature _shouldn't_ be benefit for people paying for the Pro version. Which is _definitely_ a valid stance, and one I'd support, but I'd then suggest some sort of idea that will make them more money, because just undercutting their Pro version will cost them money.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@kobaltkween Yeah, it seems to look that way. Personally, I have never agreed with their decision to make copy morphs a Pro-only feature. This makes no sense, since this is something we have to do all the time, since most clothing do not include all the morphs. There is also the fact that DS does it automatically, making this look overdue in Poser. SMS is not exactly in a position to remove things from Poser that should be there by default. In particular, this is not something related to content creation, but instead regular daily usage. Coming from that, last night I have asked SMS to rethink that idea. As a content creator, I have to be able to offer morph transfers from my product to the clothing. Since the standard Poser cannot do it, at least I should be able to get that from Python and add it to my product, or otherwise customers will be held hostage of the Poser version they own.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I though there was such a transfer function available over at Renderosity store or free section. Have you looked there before stressing on how to create it yourself?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I though there was such a transfer function available over at Renderosity store or free section. Have you looked there before stressing on how to create it yourself?

Thanks, but this is not about looking for a generic tool. This is about creating a script that adds my specific JCMs to clothing in the scene. People who own Poser pro can do it themselves by using "Copy Morphs From", but everybody else would have no way to do it from within Poser. I just wanted to make their lives easier by providing a preset that does that.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Thanks, but this is not about looking for a generic tool. This is about creating a script that adds my specific JCMs to clothing in the scene. People who own Poser pro can do it themselves by using "Copy Morphs From", but everybody else would have no way to do it from within Poser. I just wanted to make their lives easier by providing a preset that does that.
Well, it sounds good. Thanks for the fix and clarification!

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
@kobaltkween Yeah, it seems to look that way. Personally, I have never agreed with their decision to make copy morphs a Pro-only feature. This makes no sense, since this is something we have to do all the time, since most clothing do not include all the morphs. There is also the fact that DS does it automatically, making this look overdue in Poser. SMS is not exactly in a position to remove things from Poser that should be there by default. In particular, this is not something related to content creation, but instead regular daily usage. Coming from that, last night I have asked SMS to rethink that idea. As a content creator, I have to be able to offer morph transfers from my product to the clothing. Since the standard Poser cannot do it, at least I should be able to get that from Python and add it to my product, or otherwise customers will be held hostage of the Poser version they own.

Yeah, this gets to my belief about their problem being who they've made Poser for and how they think it will be used. I still remember Teyon, who is both very talented and very kind, who listened to the community very well, suggesting a solution or idea that totally misunderstood the problem because he couldn't see the problem from the perspective of someone who doesn't make their own content. I wish I could remember the details to back my point, but the issue was that even though (because of his experience) he understood, for instance, the need for good UV maps, topology, and rigging, he couldn't see what an actual user who needed to use someone else's copyrighted works would need. And he was one of the best of them.

I totally get why they think of making morphs as content creation. But that's not really what you're talking about. You're talking about fitting clothes, which anyone who uses Poser will want to do.

Right now I'm working on a character, and it renders _so_ much nicer in Blender that I'd like to give away the Blender "materials." But to do that I'll have to write a Blender plugin to enable it, because Blender's concept of materials is essentially a combination of scene-wide material zone + node tree, where Poser's is just the node tree, with material collections being zone_names_ and trees. Because Blender assumes (correctly) that its users are pretty much always working with their own stuff or stuff they have full rights to. It has no notion of making add-ons for a particular commercial mesh, so I will personally have to create the means to save and apply a set of node trees to existing material zones.

The content community has unique needs, and therefore requires unique tools to support creating and using an interdependent content ecosystem. And while DAZ has been whole hearted in that regard for obvious reasons, the Poser team has inexplicably focused on both positioning themselves and selling themselves as primarily a professional tool while seeming to be financially dependent on the content community.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
OK, here goes: Adding the feature to regular Poser will make original morphs and characters sell better. That would mean that Poser figures could get better support. That would make Poser figures more popular. And that would mean that Poser could get more sales. Yay! I linked it to money!

Seriously, though, that's my off-the-cuff thought on why it wouldn't just cost them money.