• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Converting DS G3F/G8F hair to Poser

Varnayrah

Eager
Contributing Artist
Ups, I meant a text editor of course *lol*
Yes, but I can't export something from DS if I don't have DS, can I? So I thougt, maybe, if the .obj is included in the .duf file, one could just copy this piece of code out of the duf?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Yes, I do know that :) I just thought maybe there was a way without installing it.

There is, kinda...........the same way I did it. Find a friend who uses DS and has the hair you want. Ask them to export. Since you purchased the hair for the conversion, you'll have the textures. Just import the object file, fit it, parent it, and save it as a smart prop.

If there are specific morphs you would like (movement, etc.) to include, ask your DS friend to export each morph as an object file for you. Then just load morph target each of those object files in Poser.

DS does not save a Poser object file so it will have to be exported for you. Alternatively, ask the vendor to export it for you after purchase.

Varnayrah

Eager
Contributing Artist
ok, thank you. So some way or other you have to have access to DS to do this. Well, maybe I'll download it then all the same.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I just took a look at the hair. It's very unique and I wouldn't mind having it in my runtime. When Marie Antoinette shows up, I want my girls to be ready!
I also wonder if clothes would import the same way. @Glitterati3D Could you ask your friend if they have had success with G3 or G8 clothing into Poser. Just a question.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I just took a look at the hair. It's very unique and I wouldn't mind having it in my runtime. When Marie Antoinette shows up, I want my girls to be ready!
I also wonder if clothes would import the same way. @Glitterati3D Could you ask your friend if they have had success with G3 or G8 clothing into Poser. Just a question.

Well, they don't use Poser, they just export for me. And, only if we both own the same product.

I don't have any reason to purchase G3 or G8 clothing, so I haven't tried it.

I'm guessing it's just like any object file though. If you want to go through the rigging, you can export an object and bring it into Poser.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I understand. It rarely hurts to ask so why not? I forgot your friend didn't have Poser. As for using G3 or G8 clothing, one can say what they wish about DAZ's business practices and how they treated the Poser base (They still make an occasional item for Poser), the vendors still produce top notch clothing and items that varies only with human imagination. I often see clothing I wouldn't mind having in my runtime but I still don't have the necessary grouping and rigging skills to fit such my favorite characters. I've only succeeded once in this. Plus, I wish to do my part in rewarding those who DO make clothing, props and figures for Poser characters by purchasing my content from them.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I understand. It rarely hurts to ask so why not? I forgot your friend didn't have Poser. As for using G3 or G8 clothing, one can say what they wish about DAZ's business practices and how they treated the Poser base (They still make an occasional item for Poser), the vendors still produce top notch clothing and items that varies only with human imagination. I often see clothing I wouldn't mind having in my runtime but I still don't have the necessary grouping and rigging skills to fit such my favorite characters. I've only succeeded once in this. Plus, I wish to do my part in rewarding those who DO make clothing, props and figures for Poser characters by purchasing my content from them.

Well, the one advantage we Poser users have is that we could use the clothing in the cloth room. So you could use it if you wanted to export and rig as a smart prop for dynamic clothing.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I do have a couple of dynamic items, actually bought by mistake but I envied rokket and his ability to make perfect pokefree and properly draping clothing, I kept them. As far as rigging, so far every tutorial for rigging that I've found now lacks the classroom material.

When things quiet down here, I'll do another search.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I do have a couple of dynamic items, actually bought by mistake but I envied rokket and his ability to make perfect pokefree and properly draping clothing, I kept them. As far as rigging, so far every tutorial for rigging that I've found now lacks the classroom material.

When things quiet down here, I'll do another search.

If you have PP14 or PP11 with the fitting room, here's my rigging tutorial. Dropbox - WeightMappingTutorial.pdf

quietrob

Extraordinary
I do have the fitting room of PP11. I can't wait to try this out! I do wish I had some spare shekels for AGE. The reviews absolutely convinced me! Perhaps two or three paydays away and I'll snag it. Thank you, Glitterati. It's nice to not try and rig an egg figure that no one has.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I do have the fitting room of PP11. I can't wait to try this out! I do wish I had some spare shekels for AGE. The reviews absolutely convinced me! Perhaps two or three paydays away and I'll snag it. Thank you, Glitterati. It's nice to not try and rig an egg figure that no one has.

Once you get that part down, let me know and I'll help you with refining the rigging if you need it.