• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Community Question

eclark1894

Visionary
Personally, I don't see why some CA's, and I'm not talking about anyone in particular, couldn't just include a object file of a prop or scene into a geometry folder anyway. As long as they have mat zones, texture files and have been UV mapped, Poser users could still use those products, and the CA gets another sale he otherwise might not have. Same thing with Poser CA's as I'm now discovering. Poser users might have to do a little fiddling with the materials, but I remember when it was the other way around and it was the DS users who had to fiddle with the materials.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's true, as I was always fiddling with Poser texture settings in DS. Unfortunately, that's only for textures that aren't procedural, and that goes for both DS and Poser, as neither procedural setup is compatible with the other software.

If it's just a Diffuse, Bump and perhaps a Transparency or Specular map, then not a problem, but if you add special nodes to enhance the texturing, then they can't work in both apps.

eclark1894

Visionary
That's true, as I was always fiddling with Poser texture settings in DS. Unfortunately, that's only for textures that aren't procedural, and that goes for both DS and Poser, as neither procedural setup is compatible with the other software.

If it's just a Diffuse, Bump and perhaps a Transparency or Specular map, then not a problem, but if you add special nodes to enhance the texturing, then they can't work in both apps.
Granted, but you may also be able to improve a texture in one app. Two sides...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
True. If the shader nodes aren't too involved, I suppose it could be adapted. I just see so many involved textures in Poser I wouldn't have a clue how to adopt for DS.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I just had someone pre-test a pack for me. They asked if I was going to make the Daz Studio pack a separate product from the Poser pack. I have almost always put both Poser and Daz Studio files for the same outfit into one product. Lots of people use both programs and want both.

I think that this person may have been suggesting that they sell better when separated. This was surprising to me. But then I notice that one of my Star! outfits that I did the Daz Studio files long after I had made the Poser version so there are 2 separate packs, has sold 4 times as many as any of the Star! outfits that have both versions in them...it has 'in Daz Studio' in its name.

I'd like to hear what the community thinks about this issue...vendors, customers and admins.

Thanks

I don't judge whether or not to make a purchase based on the title in most cases. I will assess the product in question - is it an object or other format that is either A) natively working in DS, or B) can I import it into DS and reasonably well force it to work for me the way I want to? Does it have Poser-only procedural shaders, or do the textures have at least some basic image maps? If it has basic image maps, then chances are, I can still work with it in DS.

The game-killers for me on a purchase are : Poser SHADER packs. Unless I know for a FACT that these packs also have sufficient 2D image maps (texture, bump, displacement, whatever), then I stay away from them because I don't use Poser for anything except content creation.

The other game killer for me : Poser dynamic hair. I know this is not going to work for me inside of DS, and frankly, with only one or two very rare exceptions, I can't stand the way it looks. I hate it; it looks fake, and it looks like someone stuck a dried out chunk of grass onto the figure's head in my eyes. But mainly, I know it will not feasibly work for me in DS.

In most other cases, if the item is something I really like, I will, if the price is right, take a chance on it, and see if I can get it working for me. 99 percent of the time, I am able to get it working the way I want it. I've even managed to get the TerraDome 2 from RDNA working decently well inside of DazStudio!

Basically, I just avoid dynamic hairs, anything that won't function AT ALL without Python scripting, and Poser-specific procedural shader packs. Anything else is fair game.

I don't know why separating the packs would make a difference - I would MUCH prefer to have both the DS and the Poser versions together in the same product - I have a bit of an personal issue with paying twice for the same product. I won't do it. If I think I'm going to need the product in both programs, then I'll buy the Poser version only, because I know I can port most Poser products into DS and work with them. I will NOT pay twice for the same product.

I DO, however, very much appreciate when a vendor is very specific in their item description about which programs their product works in and WHY they think so. If the item is compatible with BOTH Poser AND Studio - say so. If it's Poser-only product - tell me WHY. If it's a DS-only product, state WHY. At the very LEAST, though, I am MUCH more likely to purchase the item if I like it, IF the vendor states what software it's compatible with. If it's clearly stated that the product is Poser, or considered "poser only" then I know when I buy it, that I'm going into it expecting to have to kitbash it and adjust it for me to use it in DS. And that's fine, because I know in advance. If there's no indication either way, then I don't buy at all. I won't buy if I don't know what I'm getting into. :)

Is the item completely non-functional without Python or Poser dynamic hair? Okay, I know I can't use that. Is it considered Poser-only because the textures rely on Poser procedural shaders? That's no big deal to me; I can re-texture the object/clothes/whatever to my own preference any day of the week.

These are the sorts of things *I* personally look at when viewing store products. Yes, I am more likely to click on the product and look it over if it says "Daz Studio" in the name. But that goes equally for items that say "Product A - for Poser AND Daz Studio" as well. I don't ignore it just because the item is packaged together with both versions.

I do think that for basic prop sets, the vendor can offer an OBJ-only download. Stonemason does this nowadays with his Daz items, and even in my freebies, the more I get into modeling, I'm finding myself doing the same thing. I package up the DS content, and the raw OBJ and MTL files so that folks can use it in whatever 3D software they like.

I don't know if any of my rambling answers your question, but I tried. :)