• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Blender question about poly view options

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I have a question about Blender. I'm currently working on Jon's face morph for LH and wanted to turn on the Wireframe overlay and can't find where that is. I'm sure it's simple enough but for new eyes in this amazing program I'm not sure if the terminology is different or perhaps I have to add something to Blender (3.0) to get what I need visually.

You know that way to view in Poser with either Texture or with Texture and a poly frame overlay (which really comes in handy when working with the morph brush). I need this sort of view in Blender so when working with the sculp tools I can really zoom in and grab what I need. Right now it's a guessing game using my eyes and lowered brush power so I don't over do it.

I'm also a little confused with the brushes as I don't want to have any issues with saving out a head morph as below and opening it up in Poser and finding that the teeth or the eye shapes are whacked out. I have no way, currently, of hiding or masking areas like these. So a little tutorial on that would be helpful if you have one handy like from YouTube....

I have this so far.....

image_2021-12-26_094724.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Rich. I, unfortunately, am still trying to get used to the newer 2.93 version of Blender, as I've been using the 2.7x versions for so long, and the UI is totally different now. As far as the newest 3.0 version, I haven't even looked at it yet.

That said, I'm only aware of how you can view either solid OR wireframe. I think you'll have to wait for someone, maybe Ken1171, who might know how to combine both views in the newer versions of Blender. There very well may be a way to do it, I've just never had the need to, so never looked for it.

BTW, Jon's looking nice. ;)

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Looking good! I'm still using 2.79 for most things. Isn't it called xray in 2.9?

Miss B

CV-BEE
I tried xray as well, but didn't see it looking like the wireframe, which is more distinct.

How do you combine them? I've only been able to choose one or another, but not two options at the same time?

Edited to Add: OK, I played a little in Object mode, and if you select Wireframe first, and then hold down the Shift key and click on X-Ray, it seems to work. At first I couldn't get it to work in Edit mode, but I just tried again, and it did work.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
In 3.0 just pick as needed. <SHIFT> key not required. Personal preference is just wireframe or x-ray. Not both combined though there are uses for such. X-ray will allow selection of V,E, or F that cannot be seen in the current view otherwise. It just messes me up.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I use one or the other not both. In fact, I never thought of what advantage using both would give me.

Dove

Hi RAMWolff

In Sculpting go to -

Object Properties
Viewport Display
Wireframe

The viewport shading is still in solid - top right in window.

Hope this helps :)

screen.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thank you Dove, as I didn't think that could be done. It doesn't work with the buttons at the top, as they only do one mode at a time.