• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Blender exporting to poser

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Whenever I export from Blender into poser the obj always ends up on the floor even though it wasn't in Blender. How can I get it to export in place?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
What options are checked in Poser when you attempt to import it? One of the options is to place the object on the floor. I don't see it checked by default, but double-check that you didn't accidentally check it.

Also, and I don't recall if this makes a difference, check where you have the Origin Point set for the object in Blender. If it's a piece of clothing the clothing will be where it would be on the character, but the Origin Point is at 0/0/0, or on the floor. I know for props, especially those I'm going to be parenting to a character's body part, such as a sword to a hand, I usually reset the Origin Point to Geomentry or CenterMass, because I don't want the Origin to be at 0/0/0 for something like that.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thank you Miss B!

The place on floor isn't checked in Poser. Dunno. Just tried setting the origin to geometry and it's still doing it.

Lobo3433

Admirable
I have had this happen often till I remember to do this before any export in object mode set rotation and scale keyboard shortcut "cntrl A" that should resolve the issue of imported models going thru the floor in Poser if working with Daz Studio you have to do the same but when using the import options in Daz I have found that using the import option for Cinema 4D brings in the model at the right size and location as well. Hope this helps

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh right, I remember when working in DS I used to use the import option for Poser, so it was the right size.

Unfortunately, Poser doesn't have that option, but thanks for the tidbit about setting rotation and scale keyboard shortcut Lobo. That should come in handy. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thank you Miss B!

The place on floor isn't checked in Poser. Dunno. Just tried setting the origin to geometry and it's still doing it.
OK, so you still had the Origin Point at 0/0/0 and it wasn't working. I didn't think resetting it to Geometry would work, but was thinking if you HAD done so, that would have caused the issue, which is why I mentioned it.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
The Origin Point shouldn't be an issue. It would just create world rotations opposed to local rotations if origin set to object CenterMass as Miss B suggested.

Lobo might be onto something with Object Mode Scale/Translation/Rotation setting. I am going to check if any difference is recorded in export vertex id's between the both.

Janet, can you provide screenshots of your Blender exporting settings, and your import settings in Poser, so we may investigate further?

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Just checked, and no difference whether apply local settings or not were set. Interesting, though, and unexpected, was the fact that setting location which resets origin to world zero still imports into Poser as local, and made no difference (at least in PP2014). I remember older versions of Poser not respecting this, and I always had to hand edit with the Joint Editor.

Tests done with Blender 2.79 and PoserPro2014. Maybe there is an anomaly with the versions you are using, Janet, from whichever side it may be on.

OBJ Export settings from Blender enabled:
* - Z Forward
* Y Up
* Selection Only
* Apply Modifiers (Sub-D, etc)
* Write Normals
* Include UVs
* Write Materials
* Objects as OBJ Objects
* Keep Vertex Order

OBJ Import settings from Poser enabled:
* NOTHING...

One to one translation from Blender to Poser achieved. Cloth dress on figure imported where it should on the figure, and not at ground plane, and figure imported where placed in Blender, on ground plane.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Definitely as Steve.M says...

Centered places your object's bounding mass/center point at world zero.

Last edited:

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Janet:

Good to see you're all set, but I do have a question regarding your Blender export settings. Why do you have 'Include Edges' enabled?
Your mesh should be manifold without any extraneous 'loose' edges, unless you are doing something like writing a sig via edges included in the mesh. Typically, loose edges can play havoc on UV mapping, or subsequent morph target work in the future...

An example of using 'Include Edges' would be on a cloth simulation mesh where sewing edges are placed for sewing Op which will be coincident welded upon sewing completion. They export/import fine into Poser, but does no good since Poser does not have the sewing Op that Blender has.

Most often you want all edges to have polygons, and if you do have loose, degenerate edges in your mesh, un-checking that toggle will omit them from the OBJ code.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Oh ok. It's just the settings inside blender. Didn't change them.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hi Janet,

In Poser, you need to disable(untick) "Centered".
AHA!! I knew there was something I was forgetting, because I untick all options in Poser's import dialog that are checked by default.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
AHA!! It was Miss B's fault...

Yeah, I neglected to see it would be that simple as well.

Seriously, though, Janet, no worries about export settings. I was just curious, because of limited use cases. By the way, I forgot to mention that your glasses look fabulous! Did you get to the fun part, and UV them yet?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thank you!

Yah I uv'ed them in Blender and will create some materials in Poser and Photoshop.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Blender creates material zones you haven't told it to create? I've never heard that one before. What version are you using Earl? 2.78 or 2.79? I have 2.79 installed, but haven't played in it yet.