• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Blacksmith3D Pro

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Has anyone used this? Is it any good? Is it relatively easy?

I don't know if I'd use it for morphing but I would for texturing if it was any good (I hate seams with a passion! I had so much trouble with them in PS)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sorry Rae, I don't have this so I can't help. I use Zbrush as you probably know. You may find out more info if you were to post this at Daz as they have a much larger forum and you're more likely to find someone who has used it.

Lianam

Eager
I am trying the trial version. I asked the same question on my 'texture' thread. lol
The camp is still out for me though and not much in the renderosity thread I found. I am not sure what that means.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Will do :) thought I'd ask here first as I trust you guys :D
Oh I understand that all too well. ;) I just suggested Renderosity because that's where all the Blacksmith 3D emails I get come from, so I figured it's a good place to ask.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
yeah, I couldn't see anything on Rendo site except some questions on how to use it. And on Daz kinda the same thing although some say they prefer Zbrush (out of my price range) or 3D coat but I could get the armature one for the same price as Blacksmith, its for non-commercial use only (and again I can't afford the next one up yet).

I did download the free trial and took me a bit to workout how to clone from another model I did get it to work and it did look like it would work the way I wanted. I just wished it would have saved the textures even if it was with huge unusable watermarks so I could do a test render to check the seams :p

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I don't think it's as widely used as some of the other 3D Paint options at least by our community. Most vendors go for stuff like Zbrush or 3Dcoat? I think...

DigiDotz

Adventurous
I had realitypaint which was renamed back to blacksmith3d (and I thought I would get a free upgrade ..but no it was "free updates") I couldnt grasp the user interface though -at all.
Mudbox is pretty good too, I will re-subscribe when I can as it seems to handle large images better than Blender

Lianam

Eager
I guess that answers some of our questions. :) Zbrush is out of my range too. I did find some utube videos for blacksmith 3d, might be helpful. I have watched most of them. I was hoping for some help in painting details and shadows. I find those the hardest to do on uvmaps. I never find the right spots without 100 tries. lol

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Apparently the interface is different in the new one.

I don't like doing a monthly subscription for programs so Mudbox is out (its one of the reasons I haven't upgraded Photoshop). I might give Blender a go since its free.

I'll still think on Blacksmith tho :D (as a prime member its half price).

Lianam

Eager
I did get Carrara here lately for the big discounted price of less than $20. I need to get some time and take a closer look at it. I will have to watch some utube videos of Blender again. :)

I have the no 5 version and I use it for seams occasionally for finding the right place on a map, but I usually rework them later in PS. One can work with layers and painting over seams is easy as the texture is applied to the figure and you paint on the figure. I find the UI in 5 very strange, not intuitive. However, it does the job with seams and one can also get morphs done. I bought it when it was on the 50% off sale, mainly b/c the price was acceptable and it included Texture Transformer. That one I use quite often to convert skin textures to Dawn (again I usually change them a bit afterwards like the eyes, but they're good as is).

Haven't checked the trial for 6 b/c I don't want to mess up my 5 installation. So maybe the UI is better now, IDK.

I think I read somewhere that Joanna/SAV used it for her products.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks Jeanne.

That's prob what I'd do, block in the texture in BS (especially the seams where I have trouble) and refine in Photoshop :) The morph thing would be a bonus that I might play with but I don't think I'd use it for anything serious.

Welcome.
Morphing works the same way as in eg Sculptris, but if I have to compare both Sculptris has the easier UI. However if you plan to morph with a specific texture in mind, BS would be the way to go.