• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Best Render Settings - Poser 11

dbwalton

Inspired
I'm new to poser, and still learning.

If I want to render a scene as a JPEG or TIFF file, and I want it to be the best quality, what should my render settings be. I've noticed Firefly seems to deliver the best, but I'd like better.

Also, I want to render them at 3000x2000 pixels at a minimum.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Superfly is a physically-based rendering engine, and is tends to provide way superior lighting and materials with way less effort. I reserve Firefly to more cartoonish renders because I do that style quite often. That is not to say FF cannot provide good results, but in general it takes way more effort. The render size can be anything you like, but the bigger, the longer the render times.

Poser 11 ships with plenty of rendering presets for both FF and SF. Have you tried them out?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I'm new to poser, and still learning.

If I want to render a scene as a JPEG or TIFF file, and I want it to be the best quality, what should my render settings be. I've noticed Firefly seems to deliver the best, but I'd like better.

Also, I want to render them at 3000x2000 pixels at a minimum.

Are you rendering CPU or GPU? It does matter in the settings.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
@dbwalton The reason all those render settings are adjustable is that what constitutes good render settings depends on the lighting used, the materials used (volumetrics? subsurface scattering? transparencies with multiple layers? shiny metals? meshlights?)

Bucket size depends on whether you're rendering GPU or CPU, and what render dimensions you're using. Try to use a bucket size which is a common denominator of both the horizontal and vertical render dimensions.
For example, for a 3000x2000 pixel CPU render, I would use 25.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I think bucket size is about allowing people to render images of any size, even in computers that don't have enough RAM and VRAM to handle the entire scene. What it does is break the image into smaller "buckets" and render each on their own like a mosaic, so only a small part of the scene is handled at any given moment. This also helps dealing with large texture maps that wouldn't fit in memory all at the same time. If you don't have much RAM, use smaller bucket sizes.

Bucket size also helps optimizing GPU renders in Superfly if you have enough VRAM in your video card. I personally like to to set bucket size to the largest image size to render the entire scene in one pass using the GPU. Assuming you have sufficient VRAM, this is the most optimized GPU setup, since VRAM is way faster than RAM, and the GPU have much faster access to it.

Conversely, if you don't have enough VRAM, you can still break the scene in the fewest number of parts to make it faster on the GPU. In this case, you could set bucket size to, say, half the largest image size.