• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Bait and Switch...

Darryl

Adventurous
Ummm Darryl I don't know where you are but in North Carolina Spectrum bought out/merged with Time Warner so they are now the same thing .
Right, same thing here in Ohio but I have to do some kinda formalized thing to make it official. Probably some paperwork but I haven't looked into it yet.

robert952

Brilliant
Odd you should mention this as I'm planning to cut my cable service on Tuesday. That's payday and I plan to get an antenna to pickup whatever channels possible. The lady at the local electronics store has a $120 outdoor mounted antenna they recommend. Don't know the brand. I'd rather do indoor, what model is the one you have? Also Spectrum has been bugging me to switch from TW. I've hesitated because they can't tell me whether I can keep my Earthlink account. I assume that they do since they do in your area. Should have thought to call Earthlink directly to find out.
I bought at Best Buy. This unit: Link to Best Buy Terk. (Verified the SKU, though at Terk site, they use a different number for what looks like the same antenna.)

Looks like a price increase or I got it on sale for $75. (That was my upper limit to spend - though I would have gone to 79).

They don't list the 'distance' at the Terk site. Always a subject to interpretation of 'quality picture'. Standing up it IS directional. So take the 360 degree lightly. Never tried it lying down a the show. it might be more omnidirectional but I can't help but think it will still have some directional aspect. No flat surface can ever be 360 degree and receive signal equally from all sides. (Just think about the geometry. A cylindrical type - maybe. Rectangular - not likely.)

Outdoor is better, but my challenge is running the cable down from room (or attic) to 1st floor. (2 story house with big pitch to roof.) It does matter how far away broadcast antennas are. Most near me are within 35 miles; a few more at 50 miles. A 35 mile 'mudflap' barely brought in the signals for those at the edge of 35 mile. Terk.com has an antenna finder that will show a map of your area based on your street address. You should get the outdoor antenna high enough to 'look over' the peak.

To get the antenna up, I bought a cheap floor lamp, (link to Target online) removed the shade and made a shelf from a wooden disk clock face size 8 inch diameter I bought at Michael's (hobby shop). Painted it black to match lamp and gorilla glued it. Antenna is up about 6 foot from floor. (Antenna cable was plenty long enough for this setup. You do need a nearby 120 volt outlet as it is an amplified antenna.) Raising it up made a difference from being set on near by shelf. Allows me to tweak it by a bit of a twist, though I rarely do that.

Spectrum bought TWC. They are one in the same. I'd bet what they are trying to sell you is their package. They may have to honor TWC packages to existing customers. No issue with earthlink. When my bill went up, TWC (at that time) said I had to call Earthlink. Done that twice now. So, working on 3rd year with only internet from Spectrum/TWC.

Good luck. Hope this all helps out (maybe more detail than needed.)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I have the Mohu Leaf indoor antennae. Make sure you have THIS coaxial cable as it's more shielded it and will make your signals more crisp.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Interesting Rich. I don't think I've ever seen an indoor antenna like that before.

robert952

Brilliant
I have the Mohu Leaf indoor antennae. Make sure you have THIS coaxial cable as it's more shielded it and will make your signals more crisp.
I tried a 'mud flap' in my window. Didn't do the job... almost but least weather effect messed up the signal. Seemed much more directional. That was my driver for getting the Terk unit. (There are other brands - one company getting decent reviews is ClearStream. They have some indoor/outdoor products. You do point out that you need a good cable. The ones that come with the antennas usually does the job. I've not tried other coax.

eclark1894

Visionary
Yep, it was Spectrum I was using. I had congested heart failure about three months ago, and when I was well enough to go home, the doctor's didn't want me going home if I was living by myself. So my nephew moved in with me, ostensibly to keep an eye on me. We won't go into his real motivations, but anyway. He wanted to get cable for the tv. I'm pretty much always online, and when I'm not I'm pretty happy with broadcast tv. Still, I did miss a few of my favorite channels like the SyFy channel, Comedy Central, Fox News, the Food Network and the Cartoon Network,( which sucks now. All they run are Ben 10 and Teen Titans Go. Neither of which is what it used to be. But, I ramble). So anyway, I told Spectrum to take every thing out except the Internet and wifi, which I did want to keep, but the girl on the phone had a sweet voice and managed to talk me into keeping basic cable. So they sent me a new cable box and I installed it. Then they had the nerve to call me back up and try to sell me some more packages. It was hard to do but I politely told the woman to stop, told her why I was too mad at Spectrum to hear her go on , thanked her anyway, and hung up.

I've found that most of the time with those companies the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing nor does it care ,it was probably just noted that you only had basic so your number was sent to sales to get you to upgrade .......I just tell them thank you very much not interested ,and hang up ........keeps me from refreshing why I'm peeved with them (if I am) and keeps her from feeling like she/he is being blamed for everything .......I've just got internet with them was with TimeWarner ,and I get called regularly to bundle phone internet and cable .......

quietrob

Extraordinary
Apparently, they do monitor calls for quality.. or something like that. A few minutes after I hung up with the woman on the phone. I get another call from the company asking me if I'd like to take a small survey about my customer service.... I hung up.:cautious:

First, I always take the survey. It's an excellent chance to reward or ROAST them. Everyone is the king or queen of their universe and sh*t rolls downhill. I want them to feel my pain when the downhill roll is over. The kings of that survey doesn't want to just report flowers and rainbows. Someone did screw up. I also like to personally go to the cable company so they can see my face and I can see theirs when I start kicking butts and taking names. Always take the survey.

Next, spectrum took over here in orange county, california. When they took over, I lost my Science Channel and American Hero Channel (Aka the Hitler channel) and others that came with the basic package. Not anymore. Unless I get Starz or Epix, I don't get those channels anymore. Lovely, Thanks for screwing up my favorites, Spectrum. Watch them closely. When the promotion is over they try and jack up your bill.

Darryl

Adventurous
I bought at Best Buy. This unit: Link to Best Buy Terk. (Verified the SKU, though at Terk site, they use a different number for what looks like the same antenna.)

Looks like a price increase or I got it on sale for $75. (That was my upper limit to spend - though I would have gone to 79).

They don't list the 'distance' at the Terk site. Always a subject to interpretation of 'quality picture'. Standing up it IS directional. So take the 360 degree lightly. Never tried it lying down a the show. it might be more omnidirectional but I can't help but think it will still have some directional aspect. No flat surface can ever be 360 degree and receive signal equally from all sides. (Just think about the geometry. A cylindrical type - maybe. Rectangular - not likely.)

Outdoor is better, but my challenge is running the cable down from room (or attic) to 1st floor. (2 story house with big pitch to roof.) It does matter how far away broadcast antennas are. Most near me are within 35 miles; a few more at 50 miles. A 35 mile 'mudflap' barely brought in the signals for those at the edge of 35 mile. Terk.com has an antenna finder that will show a map of your area based on your street address. You should get the outdoor antenna high enough to 'look over' the peak.

To get the antenna up, I bought a cheap floor lamp, (link to Target online) removed the shade and made a shelf from a wooden disk clock face size 8 inch diameter I bought at Michael's (hobby shop). Painted it black to match lamp and gorilla glued it. Antenna is up about 6 foot from floor. (Antenna cable was plenty long enough for this setup. You do need a nearby 120 volt outlet as it is an amplified antenna.) Raising it up made a difference from being set on near by shelf. Allows me to tweak it by a bit of a twist, though I rarely do that.

Spectrum bought TWC. They are one in the same. I'd bet what they are trying to sell you is their package. They may have to honor TWC packages to existing customers. No issue with earthlink. When my bill went up, TWC (at that time) said I had to call Earthlink. Done that twice now. So, working on 3rd year with only internet from Spectrum/TWC.

Good luck. Hope this all helps out (maybe more detail than needed.)

Thanks for the info Robert. Sounds like you did your research and took the time to set it up for the best outcomes. Yeah, the mudflap model I tried before was not quite up to the task. I like hearing about how you modded yours up. I'll probably have to get creative as well.

eclark1894

Visionary
Spectrum strikes again!!!! Now keep in mind that all of this happen just a couple of weeks before I actually started this thread. THEY BILLED ME A MONTH IN ADVANCE. NOW they're threatening to interupt my service for being past due. These guys are crooks. I just took a screen shot of my bill on line and what they sent me on paper, which by the way is why I NEVER cancel paper bills. I'm going to find out where I go to report these guys and make a official complaint, cause everytime I talk to someone there I get a lot of double talk. Well, let them doubletalk their way out of a filed complaint.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm still surprised at some of what I'm reading in this thread, as I've had TW service for years when Spectrum bought them out, and nothing changed. I still pay by check made out to TW. I've never gotten a notice from Spectrum telling me things will be changing. This must all be happening to new(er) customers.

D

Deleted member 325

Happening to old customers too - had to file a complaint on behalf of my father who has been a TW customer for more than 40 years. Channels were removed, things that were included in his bundle suddenly cost extra, etc...

Miss B

CV-BEE
I only lost one channel that I used to watch on a semi-regular basis, but that may not have been Spectrum's doing, because I've checked Verizon and they don't have it either. Then again Verizon has been known for dropping channels right and left.

It's very possible the network decided to drop out for some reason of their own. There wasn't any announcement as to why it was no longer available. It's very possible Spectrum raised their fees to the networks, as I'm sure they don't get to broadcast for nothing, and the ones no longer available didn't want to pay the hike in prices.

eclark1894

Visionary
I only lost one channel that I used to watch on a semi-regular basis, but that may not have been Spectrum's doing, because I've checked Verizon and they don't have it either. Then again Verizon has been known for dropping channels right and left.

It's very possible the network decided to drop out for some reason of their own. There wasn't any announcement as to why it was no longer available. It's very possible Spectrum raised their fees to the networks, as I'm sure they don't get to broadcast for nothing, and the ones no longer available didn't want to pay the hike in prices.
Networks don't pay fees to the cable company. They get paid.

D

Deleted member 325

Nope, the channel is still on Spectrum, but now when I tune to it it wants me to call spectrum to subscribe to a higher tier. Yet they are supposed to be honoring our TW terms and packages.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, I got totally cheesed of at the machine on the other end. Told it to get me someone live to talk to. Do you know they charged me an extra five dollars to do that? I WISH I was making that up. Anyway, when I finally got a live person to talk to THEY told me that all I owed was $118. I told them that the bill said i owed $287.98. $200.29 was past due or they were going to interrupt my service. I can't even afford an accidental interruption now with the directory coming out at the end of the month, so I paid the $200.29. I told them to cut the cable off, but leave the internet and wi-fi. I'm going to go get Roku and join Hulu and Netflix.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Sorry to hear that Earl. Did you demand a refund of the amount you overpaid? I can't believe you guys are having so much trouble with Spectrum, but I can't fault you for deciding to cut the cable Earl. At lest the Internet and Wi-Fi will keep you going with your development of the site.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Nope, the channel is still on Spectrum, but now when I tune to it it wants me to call spectrum to subscribe to a higher tier. Yet they are supposed to be honoring our TW terms and packages.
May I ask which network it is they're giving you so much trouble with?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Networks don't pay fees to the cable company. They get paid.
Ooooops. I always assumed since they were getting a lot of free advertising of their shows on every other network, they had to pay a fee for that advertising.