• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Backing up EVERYTHING sure comes in handy

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hmmmm, so you can't pull the battery pack from the bottom of the laptop? That's something I've had to do for one reason or another over the years, and it works a treat.

Terre

Renowned
I don't own a laptop so I didn't know you could pull the plug that easily. It's better than nothing, certainly.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I had that option on my old Dell laptop as well, because I had bought an extra battery pack when I got it, and I usually switched them out about once a month, so they were each getting charged up at some point.

I didn't get an extra battery pack with this laptop, but it's very easy to pop it out by just lifting up the front of the keyboard area until it's almost parallel with the monitor, and then just flipping the switch that locks it in place.

I just assumed they were all like that now-a-days. I don't think my old DOS-based laptop years ago had that option.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I can pull the battery, yes. It's just the WIFI has no physical switch to turn it off and on. So if I put Windows 7 on the laptop, I don't know if the drivers and software to turn WIFI on and off will transfer with it.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm doing a backup now of my recent works not yet in the stores.
It is slow because it is going to my website by ftp so if I lose my comp or external. I still have it.
I need to backup my external backup too but that baby is a 2tb drive and a little over half is used.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I can pull the battery, yes. It's just the WIFI has no physical switch to turn it off and on. So if I put Windows 7 on the laptop, I don't know if the drivers and software to turn WIFI on and off will transfer with it.
Ohhhhh, OK. I didn't realize what you meant when you said switching it off and on. Yes my laptop has the option to turn WiFi on an off. On this puppy, it's the F10 button. It has a small red light when it's off, and it turns green when it's on. I usually have it off because this puppy's always hard wired when I'm in the house, and I rarely take it out anywhere.

Hmmm, now I wonder if it would still work if I had updated this laptop to Win10 Pro. Of course, I have no intentions of ever doing that, so won't be able to test it.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I looked over the keyboard and I don't see anything like that. I'll keep searching. I know it has to have SOMETHING to be able to turn it on and off in case repair or restore becomes necessary...

Miss B

CV-BEE
It may very well be an option of a computer maker. This is an HP, and it's possible only HP creates that button on all their laptops. I didn't have one on my old Dell, I had to do it through a WinXP setup, IIRC. Of course it's been over 5 years, so don't remember how I did it back then.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Yeah, Toshiba puts a WIFI button on their machines too. Mine in on the front left corner. This ASUS is the first one I've seen that doesn't have a dedicated button. Of course I may be overlooking the obvious. I am pretty busy at work right now. If I remember at my lunch break, I will look it over again. So far, I've only seen a software switch through the network admin page.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh OK. The only Toshiba product I own is my external hard drive, so didn't know they have that switch on their laptops. Good to know.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Ha! I don't like Toshiba's external drives. Every one I've owned got corrupted and I lost TB's of movies, pictures, and other files I wanted to keep. I stick with Western Digital now.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I still haven't looked at my laptop. I got distracted at lunch. I think I will go look now, and post later if I find the WIFI button/ key.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I looked at everything. I turned it on and held down the fn key while pushing all the others. I have no physical switch to turn off and on the WIFI... oh well... I guess I have to keep Windows 10 because I don't know if there will be software in 7 to turn the WIFI on and off. I think it only needs a driver, though, right?

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I don't know if there will be software in 7 to turn the WIFI on and off. I think it only needs a driver, though, right?
First choice would be to download the WiFi's control utility, but if it isn't Win7 compatible, you could use Windows' Device Manager to disable/enable the WiFi. You could make a desktop shortcut for it.
Administrative tools => C:\Windows\System32\mmc.exe (icon is a red toolbox in front of a monitor), click the Device Manager tab, or, more directly, go to
Device Manager => C:\Windows\System32\devmgmt.msc (icon is a grey toolbox in front of a silver PC tower)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ha! I don't like Toshiba's external drives. Every one I've owned got corrupted and I lost TB's of movies, pictures, and other files I wanted to keep. I stick with Western Digital now.
Hmmmm, I've had mine a long time and haven't had any problems. Western Digital is a good brand for external hard drives as well.

Runaway Runtime Concert.jpg

Rokket

Dances with Bees
First choice would be to download the WiFi's control utility, but if it isn't Win7 compatible, you could use Windows' Device Manager to disable/enable the WiFi. You could make a desktop shortcut for it.
Administrative tools => C:\Windows\System32\mmc.exe (icon is a red toolbox in front of a monitor), click the Device Manager tab, or, more directly, go to
Device Manager => C:\Windows\System32\devmgmt.msc (icon is a grey toolbox in front of a silver PC tower)
I'll give this a go if I can't find compatible drivers. I will wait until I get in port again and have a signal because the Windows 7 install wants to check for compatibility before it installs Windows 7. I guess that will tell me everything I need to know about it. I hope it works. I really am not a fan of Windows 10. I've used it before and went back to 7.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
I won 3rd place in a contest over at 'rosity. I have to find out how to collect my prize...