• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Any interest in universal Iray settings for Dawn and Dusk?

Any interest in universal Iray skin settings for Dawn and Dusk?

• Don't use Iray

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

agentunawares

Contributing Artist
I honestly can't tell if these figures have caught on at all in the DS community or the user base is more on the Poser end. But I feel like they could use the same sort of Iray TLC people offer for the Genesis figures.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure I know what you mean by universal skin settings? What would this give us that we don't already have with Dawn and Dusk SE?

agentunawares

Contributing Artist
They would be one-click presets to apply Iray settings to any Dawn or Dusk-based character. Something similar to Anagenessis or EcVh0's Iray skin shader settings for Genesis figures.

What does something like this offer over existing character settings? Often materials settings that come with characters are not optimized to use Iray to the full extent that it could be as a physically-based renderer. These would contain and take advantage of things like translucency maps, potentially vein maps, and microsurface bumps to try to get the majority of skins to render as close to realism as I can push them.

Other advantages include getting characters that come with very different materials settings to fit in the same scene and react to light the same way, and simplicity for people who want skin and eyes to render at the next level but do not like fiddling with shader settings.

agentunawares

Contributing Artist
Like what?
Just update the base materials to the 4.10 features?
Not at all, see my above post. Though, Dual Lobe specularity would definitely be a feature. While it basically mimics the effects of "normal specularity" plus "top coat", using it allows the Top Coat channels to be freed and used for unique effects, for example shiny makeup. Chromatic SSS unfortunately has huge bugs right now, so despite that when it works, it works very very well, including that couldn't be counted on.

agentunawares

Contributing Artist
I'm looking at Dawn's current Iray mats and her lashes are set up to glow. They're emitters. Just wow.

radioactivemascara.png

Lotta work to do here.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
wow, I've never noticed that! But then again I do go and change her lashes to black (and they're not emissive, even if you change the back to brown in the Mat settings so its just the default load).

I really love the "JM HumanShader" I have (meant for one of the later Genesis I think but I use it on everything, even the animals for the eyes/mouth bits). But I can't remember what Dawn looks like "out of the box" so I really need to do a render with both of these and a couple of other shaders I haven't used yet :p But a dedicated one for the HW figures would be neat. (And while I love EziSkins3 for Firefly and Superfly, a different one for that would be cool too).

agentunawares

Contributing Artist
wow, I've never noticed that! But then again I do go and change her lashes to black (and they're not emissive, even if you change the back to brown in the Mat settings so its just the default load).

They're very weakly emissive by default, like the settings were auto-converted from 3DL and there was ambient on. I turned the EV down to 1 to get that render.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I'm pretty pleased with what I've come up with using iRAY but I'm always looking to improve things so if you make them, I'll buy them. These would be a merchant resource I hope? One of the set up's for Genesis that I like is the one made by N.G.S. Anagenessis 2, there is a freebie he provided called "Manual". I like that he set things up to have the main Diffuse map used in most of the channels except for transparency maps and the Normal maps. This way it keeps the overhead down for rendering. Tina and Tommy make use of allot of what I discovered using his set up but then turned around and made it my own. Same thing I'm doing with Bruno and Bruna. BUT if there are any improvements you can offer with a product for Dusk, Dawn, Luna and Diva I'm there! :)

Hornet3d

Wise
I don't use iRAY as I don't use DS but I have recently upgraded to Poser 11 and started using Superfly which appears to have some parallels. Basic firefly renders for skin maps do not work in Superfly as they render as a very black figure with some gloss. Using Eziskin3 solves a lot of that but in some cases needs a few tweaks but, while it works, that is not the full story. Looking at the converts I have done there are a number of nodes that Superfly just does not understand. Now being a simple person I like to keep things simple and having nodes in a shader that performs no function sort of irks me.

I have tried to read up on Superfly but I struggle, mind you I am the sort that likes to take the new gadget out of the box and play, only referring to the manual much later, if at all. For this reason I have purchased a set of Superfly shaders in the hope I can tweak them to my needs and learn along the way. I would have thought there would be some using iRAY that might learn in a similar manner also, irrespective of the genre, figures are evident in the majority of renders so if the surroundings look great I can't see why the figures shouldn't as well.

Just my thoughts, as I don't use iRAY but I can see how some basic iRAY settings for Dawn and Dusk might be useful, if only as a starting point.

agentunawares

Contributing Artist
Looks fantastic! :)

Thanks!

Just my thoughts, as I don't use iRAY but I can see how some basic iRAY settings for Dawn and Dusk might be useful, if only as a starting point.

This is exactly my thought for this project. Dawn and Dusk do have basic Iray skin settings but they have some minor conversion problems like the emissive eyelashes which wouldn't be good practice for someone to learn from. And they came out too early to hit one of the major improvements in the Iray shader, which was dual lobe specular for skin. It essentially combines both a "normal" specular layer and a "top coat" specular layer into one channel so you can then use those other channels for useful things like lip gloss, wet look makeup, war paint, easier wet skin effects that don't need geometry shells, etcetera.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I didn't answer this straight away as I wanted to think about my answer. I have many characters which were created for Poser that I have converted across which would benefit from this but I also have a number of characters created for DS that would also.
I would appreciate some general settings for a really white skin(red head with freckles type), an asian skin for VW's wonderful Asian character and also an african american type skin. Having said that I realise only too well that there are many shades between these that would require adjustment.

That said, some of my favourite characters for Dawn, anything by Virtual World, Elisa, Sora would be the other main ones. Anything by Tempesta 3D poser or otherwise. She has done a couple of things for DS also like Vanessa.

Last edited:

Hornet3d

Wise
Thanks!

This is exactly my thought for this project. Dawn and Dusk do have basic Iray skin settings but they have some minor conversion problems like the emissive eyelashes which wouldn't be good practice for someone to learn from. And they came out too early to hit one of the major improvements in the Iray shader, which was dual lobe specular for skin. It essentially combines both a "normal" specular layer and a "top coat" specular layer into one channel so you can then use those other channels for useful things like lip gloss, wet look makeup, war paint, easier wet skin effects that don't need geometry shells, etcetera.

That sounds a very useful feature with many possibilities, if features like this are available it would be a shame not to see them used.

agentunawares

Contributing Artist
Ported to Dusk. Now comes the fun part, drawing on stuff and cursing at ZBrush.

I had to make eyebrowless maps and an entire set of specular maps for this as for some reason Dusk is lacking them. He doesn't have bumps either, only normals, so I'm seriously considering creating those to match Dawn's as well. I thought I could get away with SSS maps only, but nope. Hopefully Hivewire is fine with massive texture updates as an addon product as there really need to be matching map sets between both sexes for a universal skin to work properly, and hairless maps are an absolute must. (I have to edit his sclera textures too, because see how they're pseudo-glowing and Dawn's aren't? That's all in the diffuse, baby.)

dawndusk.jpg

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yea, when I made Tina and Tommy I made Specular, Bump, Displacement (for the 3Delight settings) and Normals for both. I hope all this is worth your while!