• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Any comic con fans here?

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
No, I am not attending one but I was thinking how much my son would have loved them.
We still have his (nearly full) collection of comics,
I'm not sure how many altogether but my daughter said it is over a thousand, some are collector's editions.

I'm talking XMen, GenX, Wolverine, Spiderman, Superman and just about all the action heroes.
Most are still in mint condition and those that aren't are in good condition.
He loved his comics!

Did anyone here ever collect that many?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Not that many. I think at one time I had about a dozen each of X-Men and Wolverine, and I got most of them at a very small comic con a friend told me about, and an old bookstore here in the neighborhood, before Barnes & Noble opened, and pushed them out.

Of course, that was close to 25 years ago, so don't know if they still have that convention here anymore.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
My son bought most of his at a bookstore in St. Lois where we lived.
He loved those books and gave them good care.
I admit, I read most of them using care to not bend or wrinkle them

He even wrote his own comics doing the drawings with pencils, ink or charcoal.

I remember him at about age 8 writing and drawing his one comics.
He was just naturally gifted that way.

A friend of my daughter ( an IT guy with lots of connections) is checking out collectors to see what these are worth now.
I am curious to see what he learns. :)

Nod

Adventurous
My brother-in-law spent £700 to bag a scrappy copy of X-Men number 1. He treated himself for his 47th birthday. :)

Take a look at one of them, then do a search for it online and try not to faint at the price if it's more than 40 years old. :laugh:

Obviously some won't be worth as much as others. It really depends on if they have first appearances, film tie-ins, etc.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I don't know anyone over here who reads comics. There is a shop in town that sells them and they are all very expensive and in plastic sleeves, probably so nobody can maul them with chocolate fingers.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
My son took good care of his and now we do.
I think we may have over between thousand to 5000 and we store them in airtight, waterproof containers.
When I decided to keep them it was mostly because I could not bear to part with something he loved so much.
I've passed them to my daughter as her and my son were so close.
told her she can keep them or if she can find a buyer to get a decent amount, it is her choice.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
My husband and I have several long boxes combined. I think about 8 to 10 for each of us.

Just an FYI, airtight containers can a bit dicey, because of moisture that can build up from just temperature changes. Unless you have to worry about flooding, the best practices archival solution to keep them is bagged (mylar) and boarded (acid free comic board) and packed tight in a long or short comic box. You can also pack them in those small magazine archive boxes. But the most important aspect is packing them tightly upright, so they don't move around.

Mind, we haven't been that good to all of our comics. Some, but not all. And most of my boxes aren't packed tight. If you haven't had a problem with the airtight containers, then please don't worry. I just thought I should let you know.

In case you aren't familiar, comics from before the 90's are generally worth more than those from after, because they printed tons of them in the 90's. Generally speaking, the more popular the issue and less it was reprinted, the more it's worth. Then again, I bet you can do pretty well with niche and rare titles. For instance, my collection is mostly art/artists based rather than writer/title. So I have a lot of indie titles, but some pretty great artists. Kent Williams, Jon J. Muth, Bill Sienkiewicz, Dave McKean, and David Mack, for instance. If you have, for instance, Bill Sienkiewicz's original run on the New Mutants, I'd bet those would do well if you found the right buyer, even though the New Mutants aren't especially popular. Especially with a trailer for a movie based on that particular run up on IMDB and YouTube (though who knows if it will actually happen).

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Some are Xmen. Spiderman, Silver Surfer, SilverSable, Iron Man, GenX and one is a Superman from 1998, all are collector editions still in their original sleeve.

I'll let my daughter decide what she wants to do with them, she is pretty savvy on caring for books and has a love for all books.
If she decides to sell I'll support that decision, if not I'm still behind her.
But I would miss not having any around. :)