• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Another quick question...

eclark1894

Visionary
Would you guys say that 1950s women's fashions consisted mainly of A-line dresses and midi skirts?
Before you yell at me and call me an idiot, remember that I was only born in 1958 and I'm a dude.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Would you guys say that 1950s women's fashions consisted mainly of A-line dresses and midi skirts?
Before you yell at me and call me an idiot, remember that I was only born in 1958 and I'm a dude.

Google image searches are a great way to make sure you are thinking of the right stuff. The mini skirt was much more 60s. Just so you know, if you are trying to make something 50s looking, it's really important to thing about what they were trying to do with the underwear. Bras of the time had a much more rigid shape, that usually caused the fabric of the top to pull tight across the front resulting in what I've heard called but the shelf-boob or the uni-boob.

Also on the tighter fitting skirts, the same thing happened in the back. The woman wore girdles which were designed so you could't distinguish one butt-cheek from the other.

eclark1894

Visionary
Ooh, good points, GG. I've always like the dresses the women wore in the 50s. My three favorites were the lounge clothes that Lucille Ball, Katharine Hepburn and Doris Day wore (pants, with a flowing gown like top), The A-line dress style like Donna Reed always wore, or the pencil skirt type like you always see Lois Lane wearing on Superman.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Ooh, good points, GG. I've always like the dresses the women wore in the 50s. My three favorites were the lounge clothes that Lucille Ball, Katharine Hepburn and Doris Day wore (pants, with a flowing gown like top), The A-line dress style like Donna Reed always wore, or the pencil skirt type like you always see Lois Lane wearing on Superman.

It's a very pretty period, I agree. Not always the most comfortable period. Actually funny thing. I have a book on how to draw the human figure that was written either late 40s early 50s, I don't remember. But anyway, being about how to draw the human figure it's full of nudes except. . . the woman are always wearing high heels.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
There were also some circle skirts, for young women that was mostly the "poodle" skirt, for women it meant dresses and skirts with a looser more flowing line.

eclark1894

Visionary
Hmm, I think I need to try this one out in the Cloth Room.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I do too Tana, even the shorter ones. Somehow a full skirt looks good no matter the length.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Not all full or circle skirts are made with felt. Poodle skirts are though.

Lyrra Madril

Eager
Contributing Artist
I've seen that length of of skirt made in practically everything, however the thinner the fabric is the less the folds stand out. I think they meant felted wool, that is to say a wool fabric that has been felted. Not craft felt, which is slightly different material and comes apart with shearing stresses. That is about the same weight of wool fabric as a cloak or winter coat, for mens reference *lol* Pretty stiff, pretty heavy. Another thing that helps skirts stand out more is petticoats, which are underskirts layered in lace and or ruffles to make them fluffy but still pretty light. Most women wore at least a skirt slip under long skirts and many still do. (the other reason to wear petticoats and slips is warmth .. skirts are drafty)

Knee length and full cut are generally the way to go however ... the other major skirt type in the 50's was the pencil skirt. Pencil skirts are a straight line cut and knee length or slightly below. These are most often seen in suits, officewear and formal attire but can be very sexy. As time went on these shrank down into the miniskirt, ultra mini and are-you-sure-that-isn't-a-belt styles.

A classic lady in a pencil skirt. This lady needs no introduction I think.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fb/7f/c6/fb7fc62c175b829861a5d9ec1364262d.jpg

LM

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Kind of depends on what fashion style you were into, but I would also say cigarette pants (capri) bobby socks, saddle shoes, or penny loafers worn with dresses or slacks for a casual look.
With some of the dresses to make them more formal they would also include gloves, a hat, and a small purse, and peep toe, or slingback heels.

The pencil skirt is one of the most classic pieces of clothing as it never really goes out of style just change your hem length. Kind of like that LBD (Little Black Dress)

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
50's what an era for clothes...think Dior and full, full skirts with lots of petticoats or pencil thin that made walking difficult.
dior 50's - Google Search
One of my favourite eras of fashion...stunning work by many different designers but Dior would have to be a favourite.
Or Hartnell...and don't forget the swing coats/jackets.