• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Absolute paths in DAZ Studio

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
You don't have to change the extension if you are using something like 7 zip -right click & choose "Extract here". It will not have an extension at all. Delete the original, and add the .duf extension to the unzipped file. Voila!

You can also un-compress entire folders of files within DS.

Window > Panes (Tabs) > Batch Convert

NOTE - if you are submitting products to HiveWire, do NOT submit compressed duf files, please. I have to be able to look at/edit them if need be. :)

We also do NOT use folders like "My Library" "Content" or anything else. Top level files are

data
People
Props
Runtime

etc...

Another tip - Paul has explained that when you are creating a product in DS, make sure that the directory for it is the FIRST one mapped in your content library (as in the first one at the top). You can move them in Content Directory Manager - to get that, click the little box at the top right of the Content Library tab with the arrow and lines

upload_2016-2-15_16-41-23.png

Choose Content Directory Manager and you can add, remove, and re-order your directories.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
You don't have to change the extension if you are using something like 7 zip -right click & choose "Extract here". It will not have an extension at all. Delete the original, and add the .duf extension to the unzipped file. Voila!

Good to know. I love 7-zip!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Another tip - Paul has explained that when you are creating a product in DS, make sure that the directory for it is the FIRST one mapped in your content library (as in the first one at the top). You can move them in Content Directory Manager - to get that, click the little box at the top right of the Content Library tab with the arrow and lines

Stupid question... what does this do/what does it mean in terms of distributed files? The reason I ask, is because my mapped directories are just kind of listed the way DS listed them when I mapped them. LOL

Does the order in which they're listed affect the paths inside of the .duf files or something?

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
I think it does. I'll check with him tomorrow to be sure I'm right about this, though..

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Ok, thanks... I was just curious as to what the reasoning was behind that, as I've never ever seen that kind of a suggestion made yet. Nor have I had anyone coming back to me with problems loading files or anything.

Sorry for the late response on this... sighs, the alerts failed again. Only spotted it when I clicked into my Watched Threads list.

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hi Folks,
The DAZ Studio directories do matter when creating content for specific figures. If you create props that are not specific to a figure, it doesn't matter.

When you save files in DS, they save into the first listed directory data folder. So if you make morphs for Dawn, then a Dawn directory should be listed first, so the morphs go into the correct data folder. Clothing is the same.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Thanks, Paul. That's what I was thinking, but you explained better ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Paul, the content you're talking about is things like morphs that have to go into base morphs am I right? The clothing goes into your own data folder with your name but should have the duf files that show in DS saved to Dawn/Clothing? Is that right?

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Paul, the content you're talking about is things like morphs that have to go into base morphs am I right? The clothing goes into your own data folder with your name but should have the duf files that show in DS saved to Dawn/Clothing? Is that right?

Yes, clothing can be in it's own folder in the data folder, just be sure that directory is at the top of the list when you save. :)

Bejaymac

Inspired
*Scratches head* This was the case back when we still saved in the old .DAZ scene file, the DSO, DSD & DSV files always went into the first listed directory, but that hasn't been the case for a long time.
An example is you load Dawn into an empty scene and import a morph, either through morphloader or one of the bridges, get it set up so it appears where you want it to in the morph list, save it as a Morph Asset and the DSF file will be saved directly into a sub folder in Dawn's morph folder.
Same thing for figures/conformers and props, whichever listed content directory you save the DUF file into then the DSF asset files are saved into the data folder in that same directory, doesn't matter if it's saved as a Support Asset or as a scene/subset/wearable.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Hi Folks,
The DAZ Studio directories do matter when creating content for specific figures. If you create props that are not specific to a figure, it doesn't matter.

When you save files in DS, they save into the first listed directory data folder. So if you make morphs for Dawn, then a Dawn directory should be listed first, so the morphs go into the correct data folder. Clothing is the same.

I'm just not getting what is meant here. Could someone show a picture example? I'm working at creating content and want to do it right, but...my brain is a sieve.

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Bejaymac is correct. DAZ has added a drop down for the directory lists and it now auto selects the directory you are in. It is good practice to just check the dropdown to be sure it is the directory you want...see image below.

!SaveFigure2.JPG

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
>>Another tip - Paul has explained that when you are creating a product in DS, make sure that the directory for it is the FIRST one mapped in your content library (as in the first one at the top). You can move them in Content Directory Manager - to get that, click the little box at the top right of the Content Library tab with the arrow and lines<<

Thank you for the picture, but this is the part that I'm not getting. I'm not even sure what I want to ask....:(

Edit: I'm sure it's obvious, but I'm not Grokking.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
I guess I'm out of my depth. I just tried opening a .duf file in Notepad and ended up with goobleygook. Guess that's not the best way to edit the files. Just another guess, though, I think that there might be an option somewhere in the saving content process (a dialogue box comes to mind) which allows you to specify whether to use full paths or just local ones. It's been forever since I tried saving a figure/preset in Studio though, so it's just a hazy memory...

To open encrypted .duf or .dsf files, the easiest way is if you have Winzip. Hold down your down your left mouse button, and drag your .dsf or .duf file over the winzip icon on your desktop. When you do that, a little dialog pops up and says '+ Open with Winzip'. Now let go of your mouse button and winzip will automatically open, and your file will be in there. Next, drag that file out of winzip and into the folder where your original file is then let go of your mouse button to drop the file. Windows will pop up a dialog box asking you if you want to replace the file that's already there, skip that file, or compare info for both files. Choose the one with the green check mark that says to replace the file. It will overwrite your original, but that's ok, nothing is harmed, it's just overwriting the encrypted file with your new decrypted one. Now if you want to look at or edit the file, just right click on it. When the flyout menu opens, choose what text editor you want to use to open it. I always use Notepad++.

I only do this procedure with Winzip, so I don't know if it will work with any other program like that or if there's another procedure for decrypting duf or dsf files. I know this method works as is for me. I'm attaching a couple images. The first one is steps 1-4, and the other one is step 5 which shows you how it looks after decryption.

decrypting dsf and duf files steps 1-4 using Winzip.jpg

decrypting dsf and duf files step 5 using Winzip.jpg

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Thanks for giving info for those who have and/or want to use Winzip. :)

Just want to be sure folks understand that you do not need Winzip, which is a pay-for program.

As I noted in a previous post, the free 7-zip program OR DAZ Studio itself will quickly and easily uncompress any compressed .duf files.

Absolute paths in DAZ Studio

They can then be read by a good text editor (such as Notepad++ or Edit Pad Lite).

When you save files, there is a check box at the bottom under File Options: Compress File. That is unfortunately checked by default. Uncheck it prior to saving your file and you don't have to deal with uncompressing :).