• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A real need for pdf or written tutorials

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I know there are many, many Utube video tutorials for most 2d and 3d programs.
But for me, I need it written in pdf or Word format.
I find it hard to follow a video while trying to work in a program.
I desperately need them for Substance Painter and Blender.
And I'm sure there are many like me who find videos hard to follow.
I have to have captions as I can't hear well, but many have jumbled text or it is messed up.
Anyone out there who can do a few, hopefully, free but will find a way to purchase if need be. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
A side note to Earl's link to the Blender 3.0 Reference Manual. If you are downloading Blender for the first time, I would suggest you download version 2.93 and it's Reference Manual.

Blender 3.0 is still "in the works" as they say, and folks are having issues with it. I've downloaded it, but have put off installing it for that reason.

eclark1894

Visionary
A side note to Earl's link to the Blender 3.0 Reference Manual. If you are downloading Blender for the first time, I would suggest you download version 2.93 and it's Reference Manual.

Blender 3.0 is still "in the works" as they say, and folks are having issues with it. I've downloaded it, but have put off installing it for that reason.
Sadly, I've had to put Blender on the shelf. The version I have will run but I still get errant streaks of color. My only thought at this moment is that my computer is using a chipset, not a graphics card. I suppose I could still work with it, but it's so distracting.
1645298969680.png

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I know there are many, many Utube video tutorials for most 2d and 3d programs.
But for me, I need it written in pdf or Word format.
I find it hard to follow a video while trying to work in a program.
I desperately need them for Substance Painter and Blender.
And I'm sure there are many like me who find videos hard to follow.
I have to have captions as I can't hear well, but many have jumbled text or it is messed up.
Anyone out there who can do a few, hopefully, free but will find a way to purchase if need be. :)
you can find lots of stuff here, not all just videos
Substance 3D Painter - Substance 3D Painter

unreal

Noteworthy

I would also strongly recommend leaving the shortcuts at the Blender default (which are weird, but only if you've used other things a lot).

Every tutorial or help I've encountered uses relies on standard shortcuts.

I used to make it match programs I'm used via the Industry "standards" setting, which made it so slow and difficult to follow documentation or tutorials.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I would also strongly recommend leaving the shortcuts at the Blender default (which are weird, but only if you've used other things a lot).

Every tutorial or help I've encountered uses relies on standard shortcuts.

I used to make it match programs I'm used via the Industry "standards" setting, which made it so slow and difficult to follow documentation or tutorials.
That is so true , when I am doing tutorials people always wondering why I am NOT using shortcuts , this is because I am using WACOM Cintiq and my shortcuts are reprogrammed to work better with its buttons . But it is also good for a newbie to learn what and where things are in a software and not relay on magic buttons only, and if you use many programs this can be really messing up your head sometimes when same shortcuts doing different things in each software .

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Soooo true, and I'm only working with a new version of Blender, but it's so different from my old standby version, I have to rely on whatever tutorial I'm working with to "show" me where to access the settings for what I want to accomplish. I've been playing with a Particle Hair tutorial the past couple of days, and since it's a YouTube video, I'm definitely going to have to make some notes so I remember where everything is.

Shortcut keys, other than the general Copy, Paste and Save, are often different in other software, so I really often need notes for those I either don't use in other software, or are definitely different from other software.

unreal

Noteworthy
I like it when the tutorials are written in a way that describes in english what you're doing. Then indicate the menu sequence to do it. Blender shows in the menu what the shortcuts are (or not. I think you can also turn that off). I tend to not like videos since they're soooo sloooooow compared to reading. Short video segments can be nice, to demonstrate in motion the result of the sequence.