• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A question for merchants

eclark1894

Visionary
I didn't know quite where to post this one, so I did it here. I like to look at real fashions for women just to see if I can spot a trend or maybe s style I've seen. Anyway I ran across this:

1601913121065.png

Okay, to the question: They advertise this as a dress, is it? Or is it a nightgown? Honestly, I can't imagine a woman going outside in something like that, but eh, what do I know? I will add that it's on sale at Forever 21 and they call it a Polka Dot Lace-Up Dress.

DanaTA

Distinguished
It's a mini-dress! Hey, I've seen women walking around in stores with what looks to me like pajamas!

Dana

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Okay, to the question: They advertise this as a dress, is it? Or is it a nightgown? Honestly, I can't imagine a woman going outside in something like that, but eh, what do I know? I will add that it's on sale at Forever 21 and they call it a Polka Dot Lace-Up Dress.
Yes, that's a dress. I wouldn't, however, consider it everyday wear. It's more like a night out on the town wear, or for a "private" rendezvous. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am little late in this thread, but I also totally relate. However, I do not quit when I start something, even if for a matter of principle. What Ken Gilliland said is really how I see it. I made a commitment when I became a vendor, and that is to always complete what I start. This becomes easier with experience, because now I already know how hard something will be based on the tools capabilities - before I start. I know what works, and what doesn't, and I take that into account before I start, so no surprises. I create contents for both Poser and DS, and each have their pros and cons. In other words, it becomes easier to manage content creation when we get more experience, because we reduce the chance of falling into something unexpected we won't know how to handle.

Experience also helps with knowing our own limitations. I can create anything, but I am not good in everything. I used to only choose the things I was good with, but over time I started diversifying as means to expand my product line. Your first attempts won't be the best, but it's a beginning. Practice makes it better. I was scared to death of body morphs, but now I have over a dozen of them in my store. It's that thing about facing our fears to defeat them. I am scared of character face morphs, but I have been playing with it more, with hopes to develop skill and get better. At this stage, I am not so scared anymore, but it's still hard. It will get better in time.

If I get sick of the product, take a break from it and go do something else. I do promos to escape the challenges and also test the product. I don't "love" doing promos, but it's a necessary evil, so I use it mixed with testing. Test renders can become promos with a little help. There were products I had already finished and beta-tested, but couldn't get passed the promos - because I loath doing them. To me, making promos is the worst part, ironically. Where is that "make art" button when we need it? I love rendering, but I hate promos. LOL

So how do we always complete what we start? Looking back to when I started, I believe that is a state of mind we set for ourselves. It's a commitment, so I am very careful when choosing what to create. It has to be something I can start and finish. In other words, it has to be something within my skill domain. If it's not and I want to do it, I have to train until it becomes presentable. I keep in mind what I want to achieve, so every little part is seen as one more step towards reaching it. And most of all, have FUN while doing it. Otherwise this may be a sign this is not for you. I love the chill of overcoming a challenge, and that's why when I get too comfortable, I try something more challenging. The last one were body morphs, and my current are divided between Python automation scripts for Poser, and face morphs. I am happy because they challenge me beyond my comfort zone.

Learning never ends, and I will never be good in everything. But I still love that feeling when you overcome something. That's what keeps me going.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I didn't know quite where to post this one, so I did it here. I like to look at real fashions for women just to see if I can spot a trend or maybe s style I've seen. Anyway I ran across this:

View attachment 64876

I like it and when I was younger would wear dresses this short. Too old to get away with it now. I would wear a longer version happily.

eclark1894

Visionary
Did I ever show you guys my "Taka knife"? I made it for Taka when he first came out. I never released it though, because Hivewire had one already, and I didn't want to mess with anyone's sales. Anyway, I still have it, I'm not doing anything with it, so I thought I'd release it on ShareCG along with my other stuff. This will be untextured though, so you may have to run it through a texturing app.

1604147838407.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, I'm liking the look of that. Let us know when you have it uploaded to ShareCG.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
ShareCG seems to have changed policies there, where they are now being much more strict about what can be posted. I have tried to post an image of one of my products (the Scatter Tool), and it was promptly blocked by an admin. When I asked why, they said:

1. My render was "definitely not art", and therefore could not be posted as such in their site.
2. They have imposed new restrictions to control the quality of what is being posted.

The admin has welcomed me to "go post it somewhere else, if I must". I could say that was rude, but I had galleries and stores online for so long that I have developed a thick skin, perhaps.

eclark1894

Visionary
ShareCG seems to have changed policies there, where they are now being much more strict about what can be posted. I have tried to post an image of one of my products (the Scatter Tool), and it was promptly blocked by an admin. When I asked why, they said:

1. My render was "definitely not art", and therefore could not be posted as such in their site.
2. They have imposed new restrictions to control the quality of what is being posted.

The admin has welcomed me to "go post it somewhere else, if I must". I could say that was rude, but I had galleries and stores online for so long that I have developed a thick skin, perhaps.
Well, I suppose I could always just go post it in Renderosity's Freestuff.