• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A question for merchants

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
Hello all,

I often have trouble finishing projects.

I start with an idea and then I get all excited. Then I run in some trouble because some things not always work out. Then I start anew or alter my work flow.

Then I have a large part done and the enthusiasm drives off. After that everything feels like a bore or I don't feel it anymore or I get new ideas and want to start with the new idea.

Is it relatable? How do you make sure you finish your project. Do you have a deadline? And what about things not working out etc? Any tips?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I usually have about 6 projects in the works at various stages of doneness. Some like some dancing pony animations and bird animations will probably take a couple years to finish. I pull them out every now and then. So what I do is work on something while it's fun then when I start to get bored with it or run into problems I'll open up something else. When I run into problems I'll put the issue on the back burner (so to speak), sometimes I can work it out or think of a better way to do it. Then when I come back to a project that has problems I can't work out I'll message my guru (Ken1171) or post on forums till I can work it out.

Sometimes I aim for a time of year I'd like a product to come out. Like galoshes in the spring. Or Christmas for Christmas items. No deadlines. When it's done it's done.

If anything I'm finding that taking my time is working out better. I used to beat feet to get stuff done but now I've had two finished products on my hard drive for about 4 weeks and I'm taking my time doing promos and such. Open them up every now and again to make sure it's all good. Dot the i's and cross the t's. One of them has dynamic clothing, a character morph and a tutorial - the most complex project I've done. So it's probably really good I'm doing this.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I go through this all of the time. Sadly I do not have a viable solution or answer. Sometimes I try to force myself to push through to finish. sometimes I try to rekindle the excitement by immersing myself in related media diversions. Lately though, too often, I just give up and shelve whatever it is. I have so many unfinished works in my life that I have grown frustrated with, or forgotten the technique or method I was using, or lost interest in. My life is going to be a collection of unfinished works.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think we can all relate :)

Sometimes having a partner can help, especially when it comes to promo time as that's usually when everyone is sick of their own product and don't have any inspiration left to think of images. Partners also help when one has a strength in an area that the other partner/s don't have (eg: one person may have strength creating models, the other a rigger etc)

Doug Hunter

Busy Bee
Contributing Artist
Agree and agree.

Ah yes, when you get sick of your own products and inspiration has evaporated. So many half-done items, so many shelved products.

And when it comes to promo time - I never seem to have trouble doing renders for my WIP page but I certainly struggle to do renders for my products in store page.

Great advise there by Rae.
And also I think a WIP forum page is always a great place where you can interact and get good help.

No shortage of good help available here at Hivewire :D

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
But you should open those half finished projects every now and again. Most time when I haven't seen something I've worked on for a few months, seeing it again is inspiring.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Please dont ask how many projects I am bouncing between lol the answer might scare you.
Like others have said totally relatable, I have a couple of things that have got semi shelved due to needing skills I don't have, (rigging), and some parts needing a rework.
As to working to dead lines that is not something I can do all the time, health wont let me so I do what I can when I can mostly. In saying that there have been times I have pushed and got something done to a time line but had to make sure I had down time after

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Lol, as soon as I post pictures of something I am working on in my WIP thread, that is almost a guarantee that I won't finish it. And lately I have been too busy with other things, have been uninspired by 3d sadly.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I call it having a drunk muse. I'm like many, I have 3 or 4 projects going at the same time.

Right now I've just finished a pose pack for L'Homme but now have to dedicate time to making the promos *groan*. I have Gino for L'Homme started including fiber mesh extras for him and a workout outfit that I've refitted to multiple figures in the past (or parts of it). There are days that I just can't and other days where I'm knee deep in one or more processes getting things done. It's life, it's tiny boughts of depression, it's "I'd rather watch a movie" so procrastination..... lol

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've spent months working on a set of products for Dusk, and I'm having so much trouble staying motivated. I find doing conforming clothing for Dusk so much harder to do than conforming clothing for Dawn. Well ... when I say working on, I actually mean ignoring it. The crotch and under the arms always cause me problems with Dusk. I finally redid the shirt in July, and I no longer remember whether I'm actually done with the conforming clothing or not.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Oh yeah... I can relate! Like many others I swap between projects when one hits a wall or one just gets on my nerves:) Final motivator for me to finish up a product? I need some income from my 3d stuff:) Yes I very much love doing it (most days:) - but in the long run I do consider it actual work/part of my income so I need new product out, so I "suck it up" and bash through whatever the hard part was that made me stop work on it.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm the same also...add in that we're currently in lockdown at the moment I find my motivation fluctuates wildly.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
OH, the IDEAS never stop but the motivation to bring them to life evades me a good part of the time. Plus, like many of us, I'm getting older and my brain doesn't absorb info like it used to. So I have an idea to make something, then I have to spend time learning or relearning how to achieve that and in the middle of that my desire seems to wane and I just shove that idea into a folder for later. They pile up! LOL