• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

3Delight Watercolor Render WIP

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
I read somewhere (can't remember, or find again) a post at a DAZ Studio forum by someone asking for, or if there was a way to render watercolor style images.

With my working with 3Delight for NPR purposes, I thought it possible with the scripted cameras (also possible with shaders, but a different workflow approach). I chose to use zigraphix's SketchCam, because she already has in place the ability to manipulate outcomes with custom texture templates, and parameter adjustments.

There are thousands of variations of watercolor styles, so while viewing the image presented here, please take that into consideration. It might not even resemble a watercolor at all in your eyes, but hopefully it won't resemble an oil, acrylic, tempera, pastel, charcoal, color pencil, pen-n-ink, and etc. to you.

It could be construed as gouache, but I am not sure. I still have a lot more work, and a lot of testing to do to get something remotely passable.

DAZ Studio 4.6 3Delight render (no postwork):

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
It's lovely and it is more watercolour than not. It's got the translucence and mistiness I like.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Thank you ladies, and thank you to those pressing the "Like" button. I don't do Social Media, so I really don't participate in the whole "Like" system. Feel free to Like or not, but, please, don't feel you need to on my account. If you want to comment, critique, or even rip me a new one regarding the composition, please, feel free...

Pendraia:

SketchCam was zigraphix's Christmas freebie a couple of years ago. I don't think it is currently in circulation, and at the time she said she wanted to make a pro version to compliment her ToonyCamPro, but it hasn't materialized yet. I know she has a lot on her plate, so it might have been dropped, or just isn't close to being ready for consumer usage.

Okay, I thought I would add a comparison image (should have in first post), so you can see the direction, and variation from original and default SketchCam renders.

Comparison images - on the left is default DS 3Delight render (default lighting), and on the right is default SketchCam render (ignore the foreground grass coloring. It was pre-final composition testing [though, I do like it better somehow]):

And, as a side note; This was the first time I ever used instancing in DS (or any software), and was pleasantly surprised by the functionality. I know a shortcoming is the inability for individual coloring, but it was not needed here. I liked how I could work via grouping, or down to individual pieces.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks...I think I have it. I vaguely remember having a play with it when it first came out...I've not tried it with plants though. Reminds me of an impressionist painting...

I'm not big on social media either but I do use the like button. Often when I'm too tired to post or too busy and I want to let people know I like what they've done...if I don't like it I don't click it!

How do you using instancing? I know it's there but haven't tried it...

Lorraine

That's me too, Pen, if I don't like it I don't click it :) Sometimes I click like and make a comment, sometimes I just click like. The more people who join the forums, the more renders are being posted and sometimes I'm just worded out but I still like the render.

I am going to have to look and see if I have that camera. I generally hoover up DS freebies so fingers crossed!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I have actually experimented with this before...can't remember how I got the second image. Whether I played in the parameters or did a duplicate layer in PS to increase the colour.
park point sketchcam.jpg
park point sketchcamb.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
You could try contacting Zi and ask if it's still available anywhere...she is a very nice person.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
She really is very nice I did some testing for her years back on a tutorial for ShaderMixer.

Lorraine

I've got that tutorial! Was just thinking earlier today that it was time to dust it off and learn something from it. When I got it everything was so far over my head I drownded but now, now I think I would understand.

Lorraine

I have PMed her at Daz, fingers crossed she replies, toes crossed it's in the affirmative :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Fingers crossed...Shader Mixer has changed since she wrote the tutorial. Some of the blocks may have changed names but she did provide a rotated brick so you can rotate textures which is pretty terrific. I also have some basic tutorials to use mixer bricks. I think they're up at sharecg if not let me know I have them on my hard disk.

Sketch cam was most likely made in shader mixer....

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Those are great images, Pen. I love the second lighthouse version. Whatever you did, the stone-work really pops in that image. I'm the same way. Half the time I fiddle around so much with things that when I finally get something I like I can't easily reproduce it, because I forget exactly what I did to accomplish it. Need to get a notebook and take notes, or something along those lines...

That second image is so cute my teeth hurt. I need to go brush them with extra fluoride. Is that you (your alter-ego), and your magical unicorn?

Lorraine:

I hope you are able to get a copy of SketchCam. It is a great tool for NPR work, and even if NPR isn't your main cup-o-tea, it can be a fun distraction when you get bored with, or frustrated trying to (re)create realism.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh my goodness, how did I ever miss these renders Pen. I love that second lighthouse, and the one of Diva and Whisper looks good as well. :)