• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

14th Annual Songbird Remix Audubon Sale!

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
BirthdaySaleBanner.jpg

John James Audubon, born on April 26th, 1785, was the United States dominant wildlife artist for half a century. His seminal work, Birds of America, a collection of 435 life-size prints, is still a standard by which bird artists are measured. In his later years, Audubon sounded the alarm about the destruction of birds and their habitats. After his death, the Audubon Society was formed and carried his legacy into the future.

Today, Ken Gilliland carries the spirit of JJ Audubon’s work into the 3D digital age by promoting avian artistry and environmental awareness through his Songbird ReMix series. While his contribution to the bird conservation community is an ongoing thing, once a year he hosts a special sale event to bring awareness to the world of birds and raise funds necessary to protect them and their habitat.

This years sale features a new product, Gamebirds v3: Pigeons & Doves, other new Parrot sets to be released later in the sale, and more of the Songbird ReMix library updates which brings older versions to current technical standards.

These updates include: Gamebirds v1 and Parrots of the World v1. Apart from some geometry, coding and texture changes, the folder structure has been changed to have everything put under one folder (birds, props, materials and poses) in both Poser and DAZ Studio native formats. All four render engines are now supported with Iray, 3Delight, Superfly and Firefly presets. All birds are presented in “character” formats -- that means one click loads the "ready to render" bird. Further updates will continue until every Songbird ReMix set has been upgraded.

2020 marks fourteen years of this highly anticipated 3D bird event. Audubon California has a promotion called “Give $5, Save 5 birds”, paying the farmer to leave their crops standing which saves endangered Tri-colored Blackbird chicks from being “harvested” along with the crop that is their home. This year we start off with some good news; California Fish and Wildlife has finally and officially declared the Tri-colored Blackbird an endangered species. The Tri-colored blackbird, an endemic Californian species, has been championed by my charity sale and has saved over 30,000 blackbird chicks, however, the fight isn’t over yet with forces moving to unprotect everything by removing the Federal Endangered Species Act (FESA), so the battle continues.

Each year, Ken has donated a significant portions of his proceeds from the Audubon Birthday Sale to Audubon California. Over the years, the sale has generated thousands of dollars for Audubon. This year, 33% (or more) of Ken’s proceeds on the 2020 Audubon's Birthday Sale will be donated to Audubon California who is directly responsible for preserving many of the birds featured in his Songbird Remix series.

We asked Ken some questions to find out more about Audubon, what else we can do and why saving birds is something everyone should care about. See the full interview here.

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thank-you, Lisa.

This years sale will start with the release of my "Gamebirds v3: Pigeons & Doves" as well as the re-release of updated 2006 set "Gamebirds". This update is free to those those already own it. If you haven't done this already, become part of my product transfer program that allows use to transfer Songbird Remix products bought at the other place to your Hivewire3D account.

Wonga Pigeons.jpg

Australian Wonga Pigeons from "Gamebirds v3: Pigeons & Doves" (Iray render)

This year, I've focus on Parrots. These products will appear as part of the sale once they pass through the quality assurance testing. First on the line-up will be the 2007 set "Parrots of the World", which has undergone its update. The update, as with the fore-mentioned "Gamebirds" has had significant alterations to geometry, rigging and texture maps bringing it to more modern standards. It will support Iray, 3Delight, Superfly and Firefly renderers.

The two new sets that will appear are "Parrots v2: Macaws of the World" which adds 13 different species of Macaw to the SBRM world. This set fills out all the Macaw species in the world (when the 5 species already in SBRM form). The other set is "Parrots v3: Lovebirds of the World". This set includes all 9 species of lovebird (including the 3 already in SBRM form) as well as the 3 dimorphic females and all subspecies (6); 19 lovebirds in all.

Blue-headed Macaw.jpg

Firefly render of the Blue-headed Macaw from "Parrots v2: Macaws of the World" (coming later in the sale)

And, of course, there's the rest of my library which is on sale.

Every purchase from this sale will save at least one endangered Tri-colored Blackbird chick as at least 1/3 of the sale proceeds will go to Audubon California's Tri-colored Blackbird protection program. This is your chance to get some great 3D bird models at a discount and save real birds at the same time.

A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children.
--John James Audubon​

Last edited:

Roberta

Eager
Hi Ken,
One question (born by leafing through all the products included in the special sale): in the group of lizards, do you plan to include the "Ocellated Lizard" in the future. It is rare and typical in the region where I live (Liguria).
The Latin name is: Timon lepidus.
Ocellated-Lizard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
At some point, I'd like to return to doing more lizards (as well as Frogs and Turtles). I think the Occellated Lizard would fit my lizard model well, so I'll add it to my lizard wish list.

"Everyone likes birds. What wild creature is more accessible to our eyes and ears, as close to us and everyone in the world, as universal as a bird?"
--Nature historian David Attenborough

wcpigeons.jpg

An Iray render of White-crowned Pigeons working Palm seeds (from Gamebirds v3: Pigeons & Doves)

Last edited:

dkgoose

placed an order last night :) still so many more i want to get still :) can’t wait for the new parrot products to be released will be grabbing those up right away and hopefully try getting the other packs that include the macaws as well :)

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
placed an order last night :) still so many more i want to get still :) can’t wait for the new parrot products to be released will be grabbing those up right away and hopefully try getting the other packs that include the macaws as well :)

Thank-you for your support. Today, I'm working on some issues that cropped up on the parrot sets, but hopefully they'll be out soon.

Grazing Like It's 1799: How Ranchers Can Bring Back Grassland Birds

“Birds should be saved for utilitarian reasons; and, moreover, they should be saved because of reasons unconnected with dollars and cents…

The extermination of the Passenger Pigeon meant that mankind was just so much poorer... And to lose the chance to see frigate-birds soaring in circles above the storm, or a file of pelicans winging their way homeward across the crimson afterglow of the sunset, or a myriad of terns flashing in the bright light of midday as they hover in a shifting maze above the beach— why, the loss is like the loss of a gallery of the masterpieces of the artists of old time.”

--Theodore Roosevelt, 1916​

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Sorry, everyone for the delays on my Parrots. I've almost worked through the issues slowing its release. Thank-you everyone for participating in this sale, you've already saved a lot of Tri-colored Blackbirds. Now, I know what you're thinking... what is the difference between a Red-winged Blackbird and Tri-colored? Okay, maybe your not thinking that, but I am... lol

The difference is the white bar along side the red one on the wing; red-winged Blackbirds has red and yellow bars. I have no idea why the Tri-colored sports that name when the Red-winged has just as many colors (red, yellow and black)...

Well, back to work, I want to get those parrots to the store...

"There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are consequences."
-- Robert Ingersoll​

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
The birds are amazing. I put a few 2 days ago in my cart and went home with my new birds as happy camper . Looking forward to the parrots too.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I've been answering some questions about my older and new sets, what's getting upgraded and future plans in my Songbird ReMix forum thread. You'll also find a list of what products have been upgraded to the new format on SongbirdReMix.com under the "Big Update" headline. Eventually, ALL products will be updated to the new format.

It's Warbler season in the US as millions of birds take their annual journey from Central and South America to North America. There's a lot of great birding to do right now. Step out into your yard, stay still for a little bit, and they'll come to you (and yes, that's still classified as "sheltering in place").

Audubon has a warbler primer for you. Also, want to do Warbler 3D art? There are some warblers in Woodland Jewels

"Birds are the Fed Exes of the natural world. They bring nature to people, wherever we are, sitting on a front porch, hiking a backcountry trail, in a wheelchair sitting by a window. Birds are with us nearly always and as such, so is nature.”
--Jacqui Bonomo, Executive director and vice president, Audubon Maryland-DC​

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
TBParrots.jpg

An Iray render of the Endangered Thick-billed Parrots from "SBRM Parrots v1: "Parrots of the World"
This updated version will be appearing soon and the update is FREE to all current owners of the set.

"All birds, of course, are miracles, and humans have known this for millennia. We have looked to birds as oracles. Our hearts soar on their wings and their songs. Even the tiniest bird can teach us that life is larger than humankind alone."
—Sy Montgomery, Author of “Birdology"​

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Birds connect me to the rhythm of the natural world. Flocks of cedar waxwings announce winter in a way no calendar can. The meteorologist declares autumn’s arrival, but I wait for goldfinch and junco to confirm it. Purple martin scouts arrive, chirping from the telephone wire, their oily feathers shine in the sun—spring is here, again.
—Ben Jones, Director, Trinity River Audubon Center

Two Kererū (New Zealand Pigeon) settle in for the night as a Kiwi and NZ Puiri moths start foraging around my Kiwi Burrow environment.
Kereru2.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Audubon has an interesting article about a tattoo artist that recreates Audubon's Bird art for the body.

"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"
-TheLuckyHeron

In this Iray render, a group of Wandering Tattlers are confronted by a couple Great Knots.
Both birds are from Shorebirds v3: Small Waders and the beach setting is Nerd3D's Waves on the Beach.
A group of Wandering Tattlers is also known as a "Whisper" of Tattlers.

Gossip Column.jpg

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I've been asked over the years by several people why I keep doing bird models... after all, isn't a little brown bird, a duck ,and maybe an eagle or hawk enough?

I smile and reply, "Well, I think the real question is why do so many 3D artists keep creating human figures? I mean... there's real only one species of human, Homo sapien.... yes, there are some dimorphic differences in the sexes and they do come in a few colors and shapes... but humans pretty much look alike to me" (lol)

"Birds, on the other hand, have over 10,000 different species, with huge differences between their dimorphic, subspecies and variant characteristics."

I do birds because I'm fascinated by them and their variety. I do them them because adding a "generic little brown bird" isn't good enough for one of my renders; I need a Fox sparrow or a California towhee-- that's what makes my images unique and believable.

The quote I posted yesterday also sums up why I do birds... "Birds matter because they help people connect with nature, which often leads to caring enough about the environment to do something to protect it."

...and for those counting, I've only done about 12% of all the bird species.

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives as water and bread."
—- Edward Abbey

Rufescent Tiger Heron.jpg

The Rufescent Tiger Heron fishes in a stream as a couple scarlet ibises forage (all from Shorebirds v4). In the lower right corner, a Southern Leopard Frog escapes from the heron's lunch menu. (Iray render using Stonemason's Willow Creek environment)

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
This morning (11am EDT) on the Facebook Swarovski OPTIK Nature channel, two nature photographers will be talking about digiscoping birds (taking a digital photograph through a spotting scope). Swarovski makes some of the best birding binoculars and scopes (however they are $$$).

"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."
-John Muir

The White-browed Guan (Gamebirds v2) is endemic to the Caatinga in north-eastern Brazil. It inhabits dry areas of stunted semi-deciduous forests. It regularly forages on ground, presumably taking a range of fallen fruits, seeds and small quantities of insects. It has been seen in groups of up to seven individuals (presumably family parties). It is threatened by forest degradation (timber, farming) and hunting.

wbGuan.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Take part in Audubon's "Bird from Home" photo project

“Whether we and our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory, and a sterner sense of justice than we do.”
-- Wendell Berry

A spoon-billed sandpiper (Shorebirds v3) chows down on a herring (Fish v1). Native to the Chukotsk peninsula and southwards up to the isthmus of the Kamchatka peninsula, the spoon-billed sandpiper is considered one of the world's most endangered birds. There are between 450-1000 birds left. The issue is its breeding success with only 0.66 chicks fledging from their nests. Human caused disturbances (close proximity, unleashed pets and introduced predators) to the nests are to blame with 57% of their breeding predicted to be lost by 2070.

shorebirdsv3.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Cornell Lab of Ornithology is one of the foremost experts in avian research in the world. One of the coolest online features they provide is "Birdcast" which gives you a forecast of where Fall and Spring migration is in the continental United States.

This will help you prep for Saturday, which is the Global "Big" Day. The Global Big Day is an annual celebration of birds, and you don't even need to leave home to be part of it. Take a walk around your neighborhood, look out your window, and report what birds you see and hear to eBird. This year, Cornell Lab is encouraging people to put safety first, limit travel, and focus on participation with the goal of collectively getting a 100,000 bird checklists in just 24 hours. Cornell, then looks at all the ebird data, which helps them determine what bird species are doing okay and which ones are in trouble by the "Big Day" population counts. Yes, anybody in the world can participate.

"Beside the fact that birds are beautiful, fun to watch, quite intelligent, they indicate to us humans what is happening here on earth. It saddens me that some of us honestly think there is no harm in losing a few species to extinction here or there. Everything on this big blue-green ball we live on is linked in some way and thinking we can just write off a few birds should not be an option."
—Kevin Smith, East Cascades Audubon Society

Sandhill Cranes (from the updated Shorebirds v1) rest on their migration trip at Nerd3d's Swamp set in this Firefly render.
sandhill cranes.jpg