• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Jan

Adventurous
Remember, I showed a photo of two blue-tongue lizards up above and was wondering if it was a male & female. As a picture can tell a thousand words they say. This is what they were up to today,
and I grabbed a screen shot from the video ;)
Blue-tonguesMate1a.jpg

He actually dragged her out from the hole by the side of the neck and wrapped himself around her and :inlove::inlove: you get the picture :rolleyes:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's a couple promo renders I created as I work through the four different material settings for the Saguaro set. Four settings? (Poser's Superfly & Firefly and DAZ Studio's 3D Delight and Iray).

NWSH_Promo2.jpg

Burrowing owls poke out of the top entrance of the burrow. There's a side entrance too.

NWSH_Promo7.jpg

Cactus wrens glean bugs from the saguaro flowers

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks, that's mostly the reason why I'm doing this habitat series-- I'm constantly frustrated by not being able to use my extensive environment library because of the "macro" scenes I put my characters into. While most of the stuff looks great in the background, up close, Rocks become blurry, and plants and ground textures even worse.

In rendering my lizards it came apparent that I needed environments that could raise the bar, so I started the "habitat" series. These sets with their 4k maps went meant to not only look good at a distance but hold-up well in macro camera angles.

NWSH_Promo6.jpg

Jan

Adventurous
Szark, super work, one could almost imagine a cowboy on the HWHorse (0f course) appearing up the rise, one of Ken's Red Hawks soaring in the sky and a lizard scuttling away with their approach.

Ken has done an excellent job on the saguaro.

Szark

Awesome
Thanks, that's mostly the reason why I'm doing this habitat series-- I'm constantly frustrated by not being able to use my extensive environment library because of the "macro" scenes I put my characters into. While most of the stuff looks great in the background, up close, Rocks become blurry, and plants and ground textures even worse.

In rendering my lizards it came apparent that I needed environments that could raise the bar, so I started the "habitat" series. These sets with their 4k maps went meant to not only look good at a distance but hold-up well in macro camera angles.

I like these sets for a number of reasons (additional to what Ken said) which are that they can be used as is, Instanced to make bigger scenes like I did with Sagebrush set or even bigger. Also the plants and rocks etc can be used in other bigger scenes etc. But simply they give a home for great animal renders. Love to have time to use Ultrascatter on the Cacti etc and make a bigger scene. Yes Jan with Harry making an appearance. Good excuse to take Harry for a test ride as I haven't used him yet.

I had a good close look at the cacti and photos or real one and even though the colour varies from region to region these look spot on and nice detail. They look fleshy which comes from the texturing IMO.

The beauty of 4K maps here in this case works well due to the small size of the base terrain. Any bigger we would need 8K maps which I see creeping in some stores, now that software like Substance Painter etc can export 8K maps methinks. :)