• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Ao Dai for Luna

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I am (original wrote I wasn't) ready to really start testing this. Lorraine has been nice enough to let me know how it works with DS dynamics, but I'm ready to have other Poser users take a look. I only have one material set at the moment. Today is going to be a material room day. For the brocades it's going to be mostly image maps, but I want to create a silk default that can be easily recolored. I want to do some pastels that are a solid color, and I like having a white set, that does add some texture, but can be easily recolored by users so they can have any color they want.

I do know from taking a quick look in DS that the pants look wrong in DS. So once I've figured out what I want int Poser, it'll be time to figure out Shaders in DS so I can achieve a similar look there.

The good news about this, is that if I spend the time to do it well here, when I get to Dawn I'll have a lot of the work done, and will just need to do the image maps.

Last edited:

TaishoBee

Adventurous
Thanks everyone.
I definitely have other things planned down the line. However, I'm not allowed to start anything else until I get at least one thing finished. :bee:

When I got Diva I tried her out with both this, and the similar version for Dawn I'm working on. I just did some quick adjustments, to see which was easier to fit, and I found the Dawn one was. Part of it was the collar. It's a closely fitting collar and Luna's neck is proportional much thicker than Diva's. Doesn't mean this couldn't be fitted to Diva, but my plan is to build a Diva morph into the Dawn version.

Of course, now I'm thinking I should take another look at the shoes, they might nicely scale up for Diva, and since so many of Dawn's shoes have high heels. . . :happydance:

Haha I'm like that with my poser scenes, so I get what you mean! :) I also agree that this would look ADORABLE on Diva!

If you need Poser 11 Pro testers, I'd be willing to help!

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Haha I'm like that with my poser scenes, so I get what you mean! :) I also agree that this would look ADORABLE on Diva!

If you need Poser 11 Pro testers, I'd be willing to help!

Thanks. I'll get together a package (things became a bit of a mess while I was playing with textures, and I'll send you a message for where to download them once I have it together. I'm definitely at the point were I need more eyes on this.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I've been working on a few more material sets, some of the things I've wanted to do have been a bit tricky because Luna is so small, but I've gotten a couple nice ones I think.

Last edited:

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So since Poser is not being my friend at the moment, and word around the honey pot is a new release is just around the corner, I've been working on finishing up image maps, trying to put together a DS version. I've got about half the mats done in DS, but then got a little confused and stuck so I thought I go back and work on the Dawn version for a bit.

One of the things that marks this style is the sleeves, which actually connect up at the collar. That was giving me some trouble on the Dawn version because of how much the sleeves could effect the hanging of the rest of the garment. I realized I had the wrong measurements for the sleeves, and it was causing no end of trouble for me.

So I deleted the sleeves, so I could get the front and back correct first. It actually has a neat look without the sleeves, and I'm saving this version to make a Mortal Kombat-like version for Sora/Dawnime.

Of course for that I'll need to add in (or is it take out) a boob window (the meaningless cut out in a top on video game characters so that you can see cleavage). But I'll wait on that till I see what sort of bust Sora has.

In the mean time I'm going to start adding the sleeves back in.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I like this a lot, GG. Is it possible that you could mark the video game boob window (LOL love that term for it) as a material zone, so folks can use it WITHUOT cleavage showing if they want to? That would give people the option to have the cut-out as well as no cut-out and would increase our ability to use it. It would also give us texture artists some other creative options for re-texturing, such as semi-opaque lace insets or decorative cloth panels and such.

Feel free to toss my comments in the trash if you like. :) But I do like how it looks on Dawn. In this state it almost reminds me a bit of the Chinese QiPao that came out of the Roaring 20's. (Not the old-school traditional one, but the "modern" one we see today.)

It's very pretty, even without textures on it. :D

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Thanks.

I had been debating on whether to add a transparency map or to cut it out in the geometry, but I like your idea of having it be it's own material zone. I was already thinking that I wanted to do some more complicated material zones on this, so that there could also easily be a trim outline. The yellow line in the picture above is just a selection line but I like the look. Plus as a material zone, you could also put something like a super hero symbol.

As for it being like a QiPao, when I was first researching the style I found a page comparing and describing the differences between the two dress styles. Part of the reason I like the style so much is that it can be very pretty with just simple fabrics or your can make it very intricate.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes, having the cut-out as a material zone makes it easier on you (dont' have to rig twice, don't have to make transparency maps), and it makes it easier on the end user, who can just turn that surface to zero opacity if they want the cut-out, or leave it at 100 if they don't want the cut-out.

And yes, that's one of the reasons I like the QiPao's also. This item as well as the QiPao's both look lovely whether in plain fabrics or fancy brocades. But there are definitely differences in the styling and cut of the two garments!

They're both gorgeous, though. :)

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I do like that dress as it is, GG, very much. 'Boob window" bahahahahahahahaha :rofl: love it!

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Oh, so it occurs to me I should clarify something. I'm planning to have two versions packaged together. They are going to be dynamic, so rigging at least won't be an issue, and because if I can get the dynamics to work the way I want, the pants can look almost like a skirt. So there is going to be the realistic version which will have sleeves, and probably no boob window built in. The other version will be the anime version which will look much like what I have above, although I might also make the panels a little thinner and shorter.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Well, I hit the point where I did have to move things into Poser to see where I was at. Kept things simple and Poser behaved well enough. It was a good thing I did this too, because there's a big issue hidden under the hair. Also I think I'm going to need to loosen things up around the breasts a little, for this Pose I had to pull out the morph brush to fix a couple things. But on the bright side, it was easy to apply the silk texture I made for Luna. Of course the UV on the sleeve is laid out the wrong way. . .

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I had a realization today, sort of good sort of bad. I had forgotten about the potential legal issues with dynamics in DS. And after consulting with Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe the dynamic dress with be Poser only. Of course if you have DynCreator I know they will work, and most of the materials are based around image maps so someone who is used to using materials in DS (as in not me) should have no problem getting them to work. So I'm not going to continue working on materials for DS.

But. . . I'm glad I've figured some of the materials out, because the shoes are going to be their own thing, and those will be for both DS and Poser, and also for both Luna and Diva. So I should be ready with the dress soon.

On that note, is there anyone with Poser 9 who would be willing to test for me? I don't know why it would have issues in Poser 9, but just in case. . .

Now I get to do the not so fun stuff, like put together documentation.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I did wonder about that...did you really actually check? I would be interested in what a lawyer would actually say on it...I haven't checked in a while but I don't believe the actual script has been taken down which would imply that they don't have the right to.

I convert Poser stuff all the time so no problem with that.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I did wonder about that...did you really actually check? I would be interested in what a lawyer would actually say on it...I haven't checked in a while but I don't believe the actual script has been taken down which would imply that they don't have the right to.

I convert Poser stuff all the time so no problem with that.

No I didn't check with an actual lawyer. I actually had forgotten all about that possible aspect until I went to get the script myself, so I could see how it behaved. I noticed that it had a disclaimer that it was only tested in Windows. So I came back over here, because I thought I'd seen something about getting it to run on a mac in the thread on this site. That's when I was reminded of the possible legal issues.

I think what actually worries me is that I feel like I'd have to have a huge set of asterixes for DS users. If it was just about having to have the DynCreator script, that wouldn't be too bad, but then, it might only work on Windows, and then what happens if Daz changes something that takes away functionality from the script? I would feel bad if someone bought it expecting it to work out of the box, and then had to jump through a lot of hoops that they weren't expecting. I'd rather just make it a Poser item, and then maybe on the site here, add in what a DS user would need to get the materials to work correctly.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
GG, my best suggestion? Make your Poser dynamic. Don't worry about a DS dynamic. The legalities there are too iffy for my liking, either. We CAN make use of Poser dynamic clothing in DS now, with that script. I do it all the time.

If it were me, I would label it as Poser-only, and maybe just make a note somewhere in the item description that DS users will need to manually adjust materials, and that because it's Poser dynamic cloth, they would need a script from another vendor to make use of the cloth.

Any of us that use DS are fully accustomed to the idea of "it works for now, and they might break it on the next version," believe me. LOL Don't drive yourself batty setting up DS materials and all of that for what is basically a Poser-only item. There's no need for that. Those who want to use dynamics pretty much either already have the script, or will have heard about it by now, and know where to go to get it. :)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Any of us that use DS are fully accustomed to the idea of "it works for now, and they might break it on the next version," believe me. LOL Don't drive yourself batty setting up DS materials and all of that for what is basically a Poser-only item. There's no need for that. Those who want to use dynamics pretty much either already have the script, or will have heard about it by now, and know where to go to get it. :)

Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking. I'd rather only have people who feel comfortable dong this sort of conversion buy it, then just try and sell it to anyone and everyone, and have people who didn't know what they were getting into have a bad taste in their mouth. I know as a Poser user, I hate when I see items, usually on Daz that are ambiguous as to whether I can use them in Poser or not. I'm willing to take the risk on something I really like, knowing I may have to put some work in getting it to behave, than think I can just use something, and then realize that I have to spend a lot of time jumping through hoops.