• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Postage Stamp Art Challenge

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Voting is now open Vote for the winner of the Postage Stamp Challenge | HiveWire 3D Community

Thanks to Lyne and her wonderful idea about creating postage stamps from renders and the interest shown in the thread we decided to make this into a challenge...sorry no prizes but maybe when it finishes we can vote on the renders?
I think a month gives everyone who's interested time to come up with a render or two.
So starting now and ending on the 10th February 2016.

So here's the rules...

Must have a postage stamp edge either by using the photoshop action Lyne found or creating your own using this tutorial.
If there are any difficulties with this I'm happy to create a png file with the stamp as a frame at 1600x 1600. People can adjust it to fit their renders. Let me know if this is needed.

Make it look as real as you like but please do not use any copyrighted logos without permission from the owner.

I think that covers it but if I missed something let me know...

Last edited:

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I'm just "full of ideas"... LOL! When Flint_Hawk directed me to the newly planned Star Trek stamps the post office will be issuing, I got a "zoomed in" screen capture of those and the jack-o-lantern ones... AND here is a REALLY old Photoshop class project I did - one of 3 "postage stamps" we were to create in helping us learn Photoshop...
2016PostageStamp1.jpg
2016PostageStamp2.jpg

and mine, created in 1998, in my intense summer long jr. college class:

1998LynesDragonStamp.jpg

This stamp project asked that we use a photo, art, layers and lettering with the border.. So the dragon
is my own 2d water color painted dragon scanned into my computer...funny how he looks SO much like the first DAZ dragon?!

SO all this gave me the idea of doing fun "art" postage stamps...the HiveWire set, say, some of Harry, Some of Dawn, Dusk and Luna? oh oh, is this my New Year's Resolution? LOL!!

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Cool! Can't wait to see them!

And I have to get those Trek stamps!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
(as I can't remember how I created the border in my class oh so many years ago!)
I found a FREE photoshop action for creating the stamp border here:
Free Action Downloads

I downloaded, virus checked OK, but have not installed and checked it yet...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
SO all this gave me the idea of doing fun "art" postage stamps...the HiveWire set, say, some of Harry, Some of Dawn, Dusk and Luna? oh oh, is this my New Year's Resolution? LOL!!
Now THIS would be a great community project!! Maybe Alisa can arrange it. ~hint, hint~

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Very cool idea Lyne...I still remember a tarot card thread over at Daz.

I do have one question though...why do Americans stamps have Forever USA on them?

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm not sure Pen, but years ago stamps had dates on them, IIRC, now Forever means you don't have to get new stamps at the start of the new year, each and every year.

Especially true if the cost of the stamps has risen. Maybe it's the price that used to be on the stamps that's changed, and not dates. I think that's what the Forever replaced. Otherwise you had to by penny stamps to make up the difference until you used up all your old stamps.

Flint_Hawk

Extraordinary
Forever Stamps are always valid for the full first-class postage regardless of any rate increases since the stamp was purchased. Currently, for instance, First Class postage is 49 cents for the first ounce. If the post office raised the rate to say 55 cents for that first ounce, you can still use the postage stamps you paid 49 cents for.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Ladies...we don't have those here. It's a good way to do things. We have prices but if it goes up you can buy smaller priced stamps to make up the difference. Or we used to...it's so long since I bought a stamp or used one...

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yup, that's what I did years ago as well, because I didn't want to have the older stamps go to waste when the prices went up.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Sounds like Lyne's planning a whole series of stamps herself :)

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Now THIS would be a great community project!! Maybe Alisa can arrange it. ~hint, hint~
Sounds like Lyne's planning a whole series of stamps herself :)
Ok, sooooooo. If there's interest in this as a community project and one of our wonderful CVs wants to organize this, let us know, and we can go from there ;). If not, we can just keep this thread here and anyone who wants to join in Lyne's awesome idea can do so and we can watch her progress :)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
THAT ACTION I FOUND IS LOUSY... so I'm working on providing me/us all either a brush or an action for the border (free of course) and I'm going to try my first "stamp" today... :) I wish I could remember how the heck I did that border in that class... but yikes that was about 20 or more years ago!?!?

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
OKAY!! I FOUND A FAST AND EASY WAY TO GET A STAMP EDGE IN PHOTOHOP!

TO GET THIS:

PostageStampEdgeHowToCrop.jpg

GO TO MY "HOW TO PAGE" ON MY WEBSITE HERE: wip5

Last edited:

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
This is my first stamp... I removed the HiveWire logo and used my own text, to prevent any problems going forward. I had not though the issues all the way through in my enthusiasm! There is just too many problems with a STAMP art- like what if some unscrupulous person took my art and used it for an actual stamp, via Zazzle or the usps? So folks, PLEASE just use your own text designs if you join in creating stamps, ok? Thanks!

LunaPostageStampFinal.jpg

Last edited:

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
oh and I forgot to tell you all how I found the "cent sign" the USA uses on stamps... it's an "alt code" thingy:
Cent Sign