• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP WIP Asian-African Elephant project

DanaTA

Distinguished
Well there is a very long list .. lots of species from the past to pick up , why settle for less when you can have all of them right ?
GO big or go home ! I was doing lots of work for the European Institute , they gonna love it ..

View attachment 72963
Is this a relative size chart? If so, Wooly is quite a bit bigger than most. I have a feeling this is not a size chart, though.

Dana

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The Woolly mammoths was actually not as much bigger than the African Savannah Bush Elephant , but Love it regardless..
YES, I just love the look of the Woolly Mammoth, especially the way the tusks curve up, and the fur. :)

Ivory Elephant

Adventurous
@Cathy Please tell me that you and Chris are making a proper morph for the female Asian elephant. One thing that I can't stand is not being able to make the Asian elephant female's tusks look right when I do wildlife renders.

eclark1894

Visionary
@Cathy Please tell me that you and Chris are making a proper morph for the female Asian elephant. One thing that I can't stand is not being able to make the Asian elephant female's tusks look right when I do wildlife renders.
If I'm not mistaken, Asian female elephants don't have tusks. African females do.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
So any idea what skin textuers you will have ofr the Asian elephant? There are so many different ones. I posted a few awhile back. Also some cool morph ideas for a dwarf elephant
For the Asian I would love to have the one with the discolorations aka polka dots for now or maybe 2 different one ,we will see.. I am gonna hand paint it all once I sculpt all the skin details on the model as I am not using photos for texturing just for references . There would be also additional layers options like for example mud on skin etc.. according to the region they living , as many people don't know that all elephants are gray beside the newborn , and the different colors are from the mud and earth they protect the skin from dryness and sun rays.
I believe the discoloration of the pigments in the Asian elephants, make them more beautiful , less monochromatic and boring.

Last edited:

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Is this a relative size chart? If so, Wooly is quite a bit bigger than most. I have a feeling this is not a size chart, though.

Dana
No it is not Dana .. we have other charts and Chris measuring all the scales proper for each species when making the morphs . The woolly mammoth is not much bigger than the African Savanna bush elephant , around 5m where African bush can go to around 3.98/4 m so only 3ft difference , we keep proper the scales for all of them

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
The Asian female elephants do not have tusks at all ;) and not all males , the tuskless male elephants are called makhnas , sometimes only 5 in 100, and sometimes 95 in 100 don't have tusks , depending on the population . The elephant Tusks do not represent strength, it is going in the way so tuskless elephants can easily win the battle with big tuskers , it all depends on the body size , not the size of Tusks . I am sure that an African Bush Elephant could easily win in battle with a Mammoth that has oversized big tusks .

Only both male and female African elephants grow tusks , and we have 2 completely different species on the African continent , not related .

The smaller forest African Elephants are related to the Woolly and Columbian mammoths that interbreed somehow on the way in evolution , where the Big African Bush elephant and Asian go another way in evolution .

I always believed the Asian elephant was closer relative to woolly mammoth as they look so much alike with their forms .. but not true , they are not related . Who would expect that a small African forest elephant will drag the mammoth's genes in their DNA and be a true "sister" to them.

Ivory Elephant

Adventurous
The Discoloration comes from vitamin deficiency in vegetation also the region in Asia where they reside. In example: Elephants in the more mountainous regions have a more monotone in coloration given climate and food sources and in southern parts of lets say India and the Island of Sri Lanka they have beautiful coloration differences do to climate, water and food sources.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Yes Cathy I know Female Asian elephants don't have tusk, but they have underdeveloped tusks called tushers. that is what I meant.
Thanks, I found more info about the tushes, the size is just an inch to 2 that showing outside the lip , thanks for the info , this is first time I came across that information as mostly nobody mentioning it in my research .

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
The Discoloration comes from vitamin deficiency in vegetation also the region in Asia where they reside. In example: Elephants in the more mountainous regions have a more monotone in coloration given climate and food sources and in southern parts of lets say India and the Island of Sri Lanka they have beautiful coloration differences do to climate, water and food sources.
I read about that and I find them beautiful as well ., that why it was my first choice ..

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I found it, not easy to find , they call it also Nuggets

DSCN0499 (1).jpg

Ivory Elephant

Adventurous
Cath one other thing about the Asian female elephant. the length of the tusher is dependent on over all health of the elephant and level of testosterone found in the body. Research has shown that females with a higher testosterone level than normal are more aggressive and have slightly longer tushers. Moreover they are slightly larger then the average female. I can't remember the exact number but it was a rare trait.

Attachments

• 5794256310_e99c63ecb4_h.jpg
    5794256310_e99c63ecb4_h.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 37772495355_3866ce2475_h.jpg
    37772495355_3866ce2475_h.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 43357866224_d647621fd1_h.jpg
    43357866224_d647621fd1_h.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 48787235176_98c7f5e5be_h.jpg
    48787235176_98c7f5e5be_h.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 50026566517_d12fa6db17_k.jpg
    50026566517_d12fa6db17_k.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 137

Ivory Elephant

Adventurous
Also something you might be interested in there was only one document Mega tusker female in Africa. She was 65 ish years old give or take.

Attachments

• 190312171011-elephant-5.jpg
    190312171011-elephant-5.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 190312171035-elephant-6.jpg
    190312171035-elephant-6.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 190312171056-elephant-7.jpg
    190312171056-elephant-7.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 128
  • elephant-queen-6.jpg
    elephant-queen-6.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 137

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Cath one other thing about the Asian female elephant. the length of the tusher is dependent on over all health of the elephant and level of testosterone found in the body. Research has shown that females with a higher testosterone level than normal are more aggressive and have slightly longer tushers. Moreover they are slightly larger then the average female. I can't remember the exact number but it was a rare trait.
That are a nice pictures of the tushers , thanks for sharing