• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

eclark1894

Visionary
This is kinda sorta a tribute to Betty White, who passed away December 31st. She played Sue Anne Nievens, The Happy Homemaker, on the Mary Tyler Moore show back in the 70s. I bring all of this up because locally, we had something of our own Sue Anne Nievens around here. Betty's Sue Anne, I'm sure wasn't modeled after her, but every time I watched the show, I thought about Peggy Mann. The show was called At Home With Peggy Mann. While researching this post I found another show that was on around then on a competing channel called Femme Fare with Bette Elliot.
1641749464789.png
1641749752552.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Deaths in the news and pieces of my childhood lost forever.
Sidney Poitier, Dwayne Hickman, Many Loves of Dobie Gillis and even though I wasn't a child at the time, Bob Saget.
1641822673597.png
1641822799843.png
1641822945497.png

Now, a truth bomb, I've only seen Dobie Gillis in reruns, as I was only four years old when it went off the air.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I never subscribed to it, but had seen it around all the time in stores that sold magazines.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
My uncle used to write stories for RD back in the day ( 1960's - 70's )

I did subscribe to it once, bought the obligatory CD set of 80's hits for around $100 then another set then stopped :inverted: :D

unreal

Noteworthy
Remember him???
I watched his tv show every Saturday night just before Wonderful World of Disney. His sidekick was usually always on the tonight show with some wild animal.
View attachment 71789
Mutual of Omaha!

I remember eating tater tot from fold out TV trays. On Sundays. Then came Disney, then bedtime.
Those things are still solidly unified in my brain :D

unreal

Noteworthy
Uncle martin (My Favorite Martian). There was also a later cartoon. The last thing I'm remember that actor in was as "Mr Hand" in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". He was the foil to Spicolli. "Mr Hand, I've been thinking... Since this is your time, and it's my time, isn't it *our* time?"

"So what this Jefferson dude was saying is: these British are bogus. And if we don't get some cool rules, pronto, we'll be bogus as well."

And that's taking up space in my brain.

unreal

Noteworthy
Remember nabs??? I've told you before that my family was really poor when I was growing up. My father died when I was just two years old. My mother once told me that she tried to honor his wishes that we never go on welfare. Unfortunately, this was back in the 60s, and my mother couldn't get a real job especially with me. So, yeah, we did finally end up on welfare. Until I started school when I was six. She finally got a job cleaning this lady's house and I started school, but we had no money for a while. My brother and I had to collect pepsi and coke bottles to sell them at the store and get enough money to buy some nabs (peanut butter cracker sandwiches)for our lunch. We had to do that for several days before we were finally signed up for free lunch at school.
View attachment 71885
I used to deliver newspapers very early in the morning. Dark. Paper bundles dropped off next to local volunteer fire company. They had a vending machine. One packet of these plus a Dr. Pepper was my breakfast before delivering.

I still like them.

unreal

Noteworthy
I did, but my nieces and nephews got rid of them the last time I went to the hospital. I guess they thought I wasn't coming home. :cautious: Didn't really matter. All my computers that could read them were trashed by then anyway.
I have a small USB attached one of those that can read them. But, got rid of them 2 moves ago. now, CD's are in the same boat. I have a USB attached CD (bluray, etc.) reader and a small stack of those, mostly containing apps, OSes, and drivers for hardware that doesn't exist. Although I hacve some old HP calculators (48) a Zaurus (small hand held linux computer from palm pilot days, with wifi card), some palm pilots. But nothing with a serial port I could connect them to.

unreal

Noteworthy
It's funny you should mention punched tape. I just saw a 1950s monster movie yesterday. I think it was The Deadly Mantis. One scene had a character reading off information on a strip of tape that was coming out of a machine. Now, I've seen punched tape before, but it's been a while. And there is another type, teletype, where characters in a scene would read stuff off a strip of tape. The problem is that a lot of time, it's used as an exposition scene, a scene, where a character would explain things to the audience. But I don't know if it's possible to read punched tape like it's a headline.
As a coop, I worked one summer in a room with a teletype. Complete with tape puncher. OMG, I can't hear one of those without being triggered into PTSD. I also can't be in a room or people typing (same reason) or a bunch of old phones ringing (same reason).

It's like working "help desk". Once you're burned out, it's for life.

unreal

Noteworthy
As long as we're remembering computer stuff, remember these??? Probably not unless you've taken a computer programming course back when Microsoft was still using DOS.
View attachment 71891
Dad used those. I did some projects (for fun) with them. I learned the secret of taking a stack and making a diagonal line down the edges. Learned after I knocked over one of dad's stacks, the first time. The line let you know more or less where in the stack it went.

Hell hath no punishment like spending a night trying to re-order those cards.

unreal

Noteworthy
Remember them??? No, that's not Sarah, from the Andy Griffith Show. :sneaky:
View attachment 71942
In the square here, they did a huge "art installation" that's a giant wall switchboard with lights, also with a vertical garden. Owing to the space being donated by Telstra, by cutting off and tearing down part of their old building and turning it into a tiny park. It's nice.